theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=163)
-   -   One mad woman and her dog, NC500 Aug 2020 (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1176948)

Twin mummy 30 Jul 20 09:24 AM

Sounds amazing, what an adventure.

We didn't do the NC500 but did go us to the Highlands last summer with our 2 labs and the caravan! It's beautiful and we had fantastic weather. Was interesting taking the van along lots of single track roads (especially with logging lorries coming the other way!)
We stayed at Loch Naver and it was beautiful, wild and remote.

Remember a midge net and repellant if you are inland, wasn't so bad near the coast but we certainly needed them.

The Dogs loved the beach at Dunnet Bay (just West of John O'Groats), ideal for a swim or paddle.

BevS97 30 Jul 20 11:00 AM

I also saw the program about the Torrigan hotel, and have been thinking about the NC500, I quite fancy doing it in a motorhome, although I don't know what the roads are like for inexperienced motorhome drivers!.
I look forward to reading your report.

scottishnellie 30 Jul 20 11:18 AM

Ooh I can’t wait for this. My husband and I were supposed to do the nc500 in May and had to abandon due to lockdown. Still want to do it so will read yours with great interest. Lots of photos please?!

Twin mummy 30 Jul 20 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BevS97 (Post 14594768)
I also saw the program about the Torrigan hotel, and have been thinking about the NC500, I quite fancy doing it in a motorhome, although I don't know what the roads are like for inexperienced motorhome drivers!.

Some of it (even the A roads) is single track with passing places. It is doable in a motorhome but not for the inexperienced I'd say.

mitch84 30 Jul 20 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottishnellie (Post 14594785)
Ooh I can’t wait for this. My husband and I were supposed to do the nc500 in May and had to abandon due to lockdown. Still want to do it so will read yours with great interest. Lots of photos please?!

Lots of photos I promise!

mitch84 30 Jul 20 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BevS97 (Post 14594768)

I’ve done a lot of campervan trips in Oz and NZ, so will try to judge it for you. I have heard a lot of the roads are narrow and windy, but hopefully I’ll be fine in my Seat Leon

mitch84 30 Jul 20 07:35 PM

I booked The Loch Ness boat trip! Max is getting ready to try spot Nessie...

Fuellady 30 Jul 20 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch84 (Post 14595319)
I booked The Loch Ness boat trip! Max is getting ready to try spot Nessie...

That’s a great little outing. Urquhart Castle is a lovely ruin - can you get off the boat there for a wander?

I hope you spot Nessie - we weren’t so lucky!

mitch84 30 Jul 20 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuellady (Post 14595362)
That’s a great little outing. Urquhart Castle is a lovely ruin - can you get off the boat there for a wander?

I hope you spot Nessie - we weren’t so lucky!

I don’t think so on this trip, as I need to get up to Wick, so went for a 2 hour boat trip rather than the 4. But next time x

mitch84 30 Jul 20 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twin mummy (Post 14594643)
Sounds amazing, what an adventure.

We didn't do the NC500 but did go us to the Highlands last summer with our 2 labs and the caravan! It's beautiful and we had fantastic weather. Was interesting taking the van along lots of single track roads (especially with logging lorries coming the other way!)
We stayed at Loch Naver and it was beautiful, wild and remote.

Remember a midge net and repellant if you are inland, wasn't so bad near the coast but we certainly needed them.

The Dogs loved the beach at Dunnet Bay (just West of John O'Groats), ideal for a swim or paddle.

I’ll defo add that beach to the list, he absolutely loves a beach and a swim in the sea!
Will buy some repellent, good tip x