theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General DVC Discussion (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Rented Points not being refunded (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1165122)

Jack Daniel's 19 Mar 20 08:22 AM

Rented Points not being refunded

Rented Points from "A" forum member have now been refunded to them with a use year of over 8 months now but they give me the impression they don't want to refund me the $2550.

We cant go this year now as all our vacation days have been used for next month & to late to change it.

Where do i stand or what would points renters do?

Would my insurance cover such a loss?

ie "A" forum is not The Dibb

Br'er Bear 19 Mar 20 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Daniel's (Post 14347819)
Rented Points from "A" forum member have now been refunded to them with a use year of over 8 months now but they give me the impression they don't want to refund me the $2550.

We cant go this year now as all our vacation days have been used for next month & to late to change it.

So sorry to hear this and hope you can sort something out.

There's a lot of variables so the following might not apply and this is only my thoughts.

Not sure when you were going but for anyone in a similar position I would suggest don't cancel and leave it up to the resort or airline to cancel first as you'll then have a better chance of being covered on insurance.

But you indicate it's already been cancelled

Presumably the contract you signed had a cancellation policy, what does it state?

Was it cancelled by the owner or by yourself?

When were you checking in and when were you flying?

If it was cancelled due to the resort closing, then one would hope that's similar to the owner cancelling as the owner can't now offer you the dates in your contract; hopefully you should then receive a full refund.

Or did you give instructions to cancel while the resort was still planned to be open, if so what does the contract state if you are the one to cancel?

Also bear in mind, while the owner might well have the points returned and can be used over the next 8-months, availability will be a problem and rebooking you in for a similar amount of nights in one resort might not be an option.

Because you do have a contract then hopefully your insurance company will cover you, but I would only think that's so long as it was cancelled by the resort, DVC member, or if flights were cancelled.

If you cancelled while the resort was still planned to be open and flights were not cancelled or under the ban on UK flights entering the USA then I can't see how any insurance would cover you.

Hope other members or those in a similar position will be able to give you more advice but possibly need a little more information on dates, etc from you.

Again, this is only my thoughts and stay safe.

arielrocks 19 Mar 20 02:39 PM

Quote:

Renting is usually a non refundable transaction so if that’s
What your agreement is with them then you’ll have to try your travel insurance. The renter may have the points back but they may be if no use to them. Some points are being returned to the owner with their use year and the naming window has passed. Which means the owner is not able to use them in this current climate before they expire. Whether they have them back or not is not really the issue. If your agreement was non refundable then that’s what it is I’m afraid, but hopefully your insurance can assist.

JasonErpelding 20 Mar 20 02:31 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, I think a lot of renters are in the same situation with losing their money. Some owners and rental companies are doing the best they can even if the renter didn't buy travel insurance but not everyone will get the outcome they want.

Jason Erpelding
Lic. Real Estate Broker
Buy and Sell DVC, Inc.®

Moorlandman 20 Mar 20 02:41 PM

Timeshare points are rarely covered by insurance. I would pursue the dibber that sold you these!

mermaids1960 20 Mar 20 03:08 PM

I would have thought the renter can sell on giving you the money back, that’s what I would do as a renter

arielrocks 20 Mar 20 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moorlandman (Post 14350634)
Timeshare points are rarely covered by insurance. I would pursue the dibber that sold you these!

They don’t cover a timeshare
From an owner however this should be viewed the same a renting a villa. Therefore should be covered, it’s up to the renter to have valid insurance not the owner of the villa or point owner.

And again, it depends on the t&c’s they agreed when renting.

arielrocks 20 Mar 20 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moorlandman (Post 14350634)

They’ve already said it’s not a dibber.

zavandor 24 Mar 20 06:02 AM

The reason point rental is cheaper than paying cash is because it has more risks.

Tweety1 24 Mar 20 09:23 AM

Does travel ins not cover this? So if you have to cancel I thought it would be covered :confused2