theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   DIBB Reporter Photo Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   Ontario and Quebec 2017: Day 2 - Parliament Hill, Outlets and AG (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1037325)

Melbatb 27 Jul 17 02:52 AM

Ontario and Quebec 2017: Day 2 - Parliament Hill, Outlets and AG

My day started at 5am! Not bad really!

As J had slept upstairs in the spare bed in F's room, I used the opportunity to tidy up the packing - we gave cubes but last night was a bit of "let's get what we need! "

By 6.30am J and F were up! We got O up at 7.15an and by 7.45 we were leaving to walk to Cora's - a Canadian chain of restaurants that we have been to before.

It was quite off putting as they put the calories on every option - and as I have just lost 5kg I wasn't keen on the 1200 calorie options!

So J had a veggie omelette, I had the poached egg with fruit, O had French toast with fruit and F had her favourite of fried eggs, home fries and baked beans!

We all nicked off each others' plates as usual!

Cost was C$63 plus tip.

We then walked the short distance to Parliament Hill. We had toyed with doing a tour but the queue for tickets was very very long! We don't like queues ;) so we decided just to walk around.

There are a lot of reminders that 2017 is the 150th birthday of Canada.

There were some lovely statues of the important people in Canada's history including some of their PMs and our own Queen.

We went all round the back and then down to the river. This is the view across from Ottawa into Quebec.

Ottawa was chosen as the capital because it bordered Ontario and Quebec (the two "founding" provinces of what is today Canada) and because it was considered to be far enough from the USA - a risk at that time!

We watched as some boats started the long trawl up the canal locks! At least there was a team of lock employees to do all the hard work!

We heard drums and rushed up too many steps to see the changing of the guard. What a privilege!

We went to the tourist office to get a map and as we came out the Guards marched past!

Then it was off to book a bike tour for tomorrow! This may well be the end of me ;)

We walked to Byward Market to have a coffee and get some lunch! I live how beautifully the fruit and vegetables are presented.

J got a veggie burrito, O had a smoked salmon bagel and F and I had felafels and salad in a wrap. We took these back to eat!

We also got a chocolate covered apple which the kids shared for desert!

After a rest, we got in the car for the 25m drive to Tanger Outlets.

After (another) navigation failure by the TomTom we did get there.

Pickings were slim. O got some CK boxers, I got a microwaveable soup bowl and F got the bargain of the day from her favourite Canadian clothes store - a goat reduced from C$139 to C$40 and then when we got to the till it was further reduced to C$28

We had a short rest before nipping to the supermarket for breakfast things and to Dominos for a pizza for the kids. J finished off his burrito and I just had a toasted bagel.

Then it was back to American Girl! The two dolls dame with us too! F took lots of photos - how she loves this place!

We were going to watch the Light Show on Parliament but after 26,000 steps (16km) we were done in so came back! We can do the lights tomorrow!

app 27 Jul 17 03:20 AM

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 27 Jul 17 3:20 AM.

Jake71 27 Jul 17 08:39 AM

A great day Mel. The Parliament building is very impressive and love the changing of the guard photos. That was a cracking bargain of a coat, it looks really cosy.

mick 27 Jul 17 09:32 AM

A good day sightseeing and shopping the coat was a bargain:spin:

Joan :wave:

Bianca 27 Jul 17 11:27 AM

Are you allowed on The Dibb if you don't like queues? ;)

Things are really under way now. :thumbs-up (Two trips to American Girl already.) And lovely photos of Ottawa ...and of food. You always take good pics of food; it looks so tempting.

P.S. I love that F bought a goat on sale! :pgig: You'll chuckle about that when you read this back in the future.

Melbatb 27 Jul 17 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake71 (Post 12708424)
A great day Mel. The Parliament building is very impressive and love the changing of the guard photos. That was a cracking bargain of a coat, it looks really cosy.

The Parliament was impressive - as it should be I guess :D The coat was a steal at that price!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 12708547)
A good day sightseeing and shopping the coat was a bargain:spin:

Joan :wave:

Thanks Joan - more sightseeing today!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bianca (Post 12708809)
Are you allowed on The Dibb if you don't like queues? ;)

Things are really under way now. :thumbs-up (Two trips to American Girl already.) And lovely photos of Ottawa ...and of food. You always take good pics of food; it looks so tempting.

P.S. I love that F bought a goat on sale! :pgig: You'll chuckle about that when you read this back in the future.

Oh dear - I may get kicked off after admitting our dislike of queues ;)

Whoops - getting a goat back may be more challenging!

JoS 27 Jul 17 03:03 PM

Great day for you all and nice to learn a little history of Canada...thank you. Great bargain with the coat. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

Melbatb 28 Jul 17 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoS (Post 12709308)
Great day for you all and nice to learn a little history of Canada...thank you. Great bargain with the coat. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

We are! Though I think my legs need a rest after yesterday :D

OB1LukeLucas 28 Jul 17 10:10 PM

You seemed to pack a lot in today. Ottawa looks great. Good job that coat was a bargain-I did have a giggle thinking about coats, goats and lots of dolls and American Girls stuff bursting out your case on the way home!

Melbatb 29 Jul 17 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas (Post 12712754)
You seemed to pack a lot in today. Ottawa looks great. Good job that coat was a bargain-I did have a giggle thinking about coats, goats and lots of dolls and American Girls stuff bursting out your case on the way home!

Typing on an iphone causes quite a lot of typos :D - some I pick up, others ... :blush:

My kids think my mission in life is to wear them out - honestly we do have downtime ;) Just so much to see!