theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   DIBB Reporter Photo Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   Montreal 2018: Parlez-vous francais? - Day 1: Travel Day (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1067455)

Melbatb 24 Feb 18 01:36 AM

Montreal 2018: Parlez-vous francais? - Day 1: Travel Day

The day started very early - 4am early! I actually slept really well and was somewhat disorientated when my alarm went off! Usually I sleep badly because I am afraid of missing the alarm call! This time I must have been tired!

Poor J also had to get up to take me to the airport. He was then going to work as his office is literally 2 minutes from there!

We were ready to go by 4.45am. J even managed his porridge for breakfast!

By 5.05am J was dropping me off at the airport! I don't think he lasted all day in the office!

Check in was very efficient for once - I had only been able to check in on the BRU-YUL flight.

I went through security - for once I didn't beep! I grabbed a coffee and a pain au chocolat as I didn't think I would manage to hold out until Brussels!

I then went through passport control - this is a bit hit and miss since all passengers flying abroad have to go through passport control. Today was surprisingly quick.

We boarded on time - I waited until nearly everyone had boarded! We were a little late actually taking off - someone must have been faffing somewhere!

I must admit to nodding for most of the flight! This is a skill I have honed over the years! Passes the time if nothing else!

We arrived a few minutes late but nothing that worried me!

I daw that the YUL flight was delayed by 45 minutes so I was in no rush! It was a long 18 minute walk to the next gate. The good news was that the security had been moved and I didn't need to go through it again! I did need to go through the automated passport control.

I was a bit peckish so go myself an avocado and egg sandwich. It was ok - filled a hole!

I also got a cappuccino from Starbucks to try and keep me awake.

I also had to go to the gate to have my passport scanned and for the airline to check the validity of my eTa! All was in order!

The flight was on an Air Canada 787.

Boarding was again efficient - I was on an aisle seat so I could get up and down on my own agenda!

The flight was just a shade under 7 hours. I nodded (again! ), ate (a spinach, rice and lentil dahl thingy - why do they give you beans on a flight (the starter was a chick pea salad that I passed on)), watched “Blades of Glory” (very funny) and “Victoria and Adbul” (quite sad really) and did a few laps to keep my blood flowing!

We arrived about 35 minutes late!

However, immigration was quick. Since we were here in summer they have introduced machines. They are very efficient. However I got directed to an Immigration officer as I put I was here to study! She asked me a few questions and then waved me through.

My bag came through after about 15 minutes and I just managed to get on the 747 bus (I got a 3 day subway/bus ticket for C$18)

An hour and a half after landing I was walking into my hotel.

Even though it was only 2pm, I could check in!
The hotel is Le Square Philipps. As you can see the room is very roomy! It us on the 8th floor (I requested a high floor!)

It also has a kitchen!

I unpacked whilst texting the kids! I needed to get out as I was both tired and hungry!

When I went outside it was sleeting. I walked the 5 minutes to the Eaton Centre where I got myself some veggie sushi in the food court! It was tasty and got me through my hunger!

I then went up to Old Navy on the 4th floor to get F some of their running bras - she likes these a lot. They were on special offer (C$6) so I got her 4 different types.

As you can see it was raining by now - not much snow to be seen! It wasn't that cold either.

My other destination was Victoria's Secrets. The main shopping Street is a disaster of roadworks! I almost slipped on some black ice at one stage.

I took a photo of some hoodies for F. Need her approval for this purchase!

I made my way back to the hotel as it was actually raining pretty badly by now.

I picked up another cappuccino to try to stay awake - it was 4pm by now!

I watched the Olympic Ice Skating before heading out to grab some dinner!

This is Place Philipps - at least there is some snow! You can see my hotel in the top left hand corner!

I went to Copper Branch for dinner - a vegan restaurant.

I had a spicy black bean burger and oven fries. While tasty it was also very hot!

I headed into the RESO - the underground tunnel/shopping zones where I found a dollarama! I love these types of shops!

It was still raining (though more lightly) so I headed back!

It is now 8.30pm. I don’t think I will last much longer before falling asleep!

Here’s hoping the weather is better tomorrow!

Steps: 14,486!

app 24 Feb 18 02:24 AM

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 24 Feb 18 1:24 AM.

WileyCoyote 24 Feb 18 08:40 AM

Smooth travel day there. You must have been like a zombie by the end, that is one long day and brrrrr, sounds cold and wet.
Great start though , some bargains , tasty food and a nice looking room.

LuvPluto 24 Feb 18 09:07 AM

Wow that was a long travel day. Your room looks nice, shame about the rain. Good food and a bit of shopping aswell. Great start :)

mick 24 Feb 18 10:00 AM

Good travel day :spin:

Joan:wave:

OB1LukeLucas 24 Feb 18 12:17 PM

I'm impressed you have managed to stay awake. The hotel room looks nice, so does your food. Good to see you have even managed some shopping already-a successful travel day.

RachelM 24 Feb 18 01:32 PM

You must have been exhausted! . What a good travel day x

Melbatb 25 Feb 18 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote (Post 13092383)
Smooth travel day there. You must have been like a zombie by the end, that is one long day and brrrrr, sounds cold and wet.
Great start though , some bargains , tasty food and a nice looking room.

I was very tired - more tired than the travel day to San Diego where we had an extra 3 hours difference!

The rain was not appreciated as you can imagine!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvPluto (Post 13092416)
Wow that was a long travel day. Your room looks nice, shame about the rain. Good food and a bit of shopping aswell. Great start :)

F liked the sports tops and has chosen the colour for the Pink top!

The room is nice and big! The bed is comfy too! What more can I ask :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 13092515)
Good travel day :spin:

Joan:wave:

Thanks Joan - as travel days go it wasn't bad!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas (Post 13092740)
I'm impressed you have managed to stay awake. The hotel room looks nice, so does your food. Good to see you have even managed some shopping already-a successful travel day.

I knew I had to stay awake or the night would have been very long ;)

Happy to have sourced the things on F's shopping list!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelM (Post 13092854)
You must have been exhausted! . What a good travel day x

Thanks Rachel! I fell asleep very quickly once I put my head down!

Goldia 25 Feb 18 09:07 AM

You did well to keep going all afternoon. The room looks really spacious. Good luck with your studying.

Melbatb 26 Feb 18 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldia (Post 13094097)
You did well to keep going all afternoon. The room looks really spacious. Good luck with your studying.

Thanks Abby! Studying starts tomorrow! Not sure what to expect :D