theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   DIBB Reporter Photo Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   New England Summer 2018: Day 9 - Lake Champlain Vermont (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1093265)

Melbatb 6 Aug 18 02:44 AM

New England Summer 2018: Day 9 - Lake Champlain Vermont

Again the day started a bit early - 5am for J, 6am for me and 7 am for the kids! It was again overcast and it looked like there had been rain overnight.

As usual, we all sorted ourselves out for breakfast! J and I had cinnamon toast, F had cereal and O had yoghurt and strawberries.

The plan for today was riding for F and then we were headed out to Lake Champlain to see a friend of mine.

F and J went down to the stables to get Floyd ready. They had to get him from his paddock. One of the stable girls helped with which saddle. F decided to ride a western saddle as she had never tried one before.

We went a different route today. Floyd is very docile (and a bit lazy) but F got him to work. The land us very undulating which is very different to where F generally rides.

How could you not enjoy riding in such wonderful surrounding?

F and Floyd did a lot of galloping. Both loved it. F found the western saddle a bit odd but was happy to have tried. We also saw two deer - Floyd must be used to them as he ignored them as they ran off into the woods!

Back at the farm, F washed down Floyd - though the minute she put him in his paddock he just rolled over!

Once back at the farm, I met up with the owner to settle up. The total cost for F's two lessons, her two hacks plus the boys' lesson was $230. We thought this was excellent value - the experience for F was priceless and she gas been buzzing all day with her ride!

Once F was all showered we headed out to my friend's in-laws' house on Lake Champlain which was just outside Burlington. I have know my friend since we were both pregnant with our eldest kids. However, it had been 10 years since we had seen each other.

She and her family were staying with her in-laws at their summer cottage. The afternoon was fabulous.

For lunch we made sandwiches (picky kids on both sides...) with cheeses, smoked salmon, salads etc. All was delicious!

My friend had organized a birthday cake for O (it is his birthday tomorrow). This was a surprise for O snd he was very touched - especially as his name had been spelt correctly (he has a very unusual name!)

This was the view from the cottage. Both J and I had serious house envy!

After lunch we went down to the beach. Due to a lack of rain in Northern Vermont, the lake was a lot lower than usual. You could walk out and still only be at thigh height after 50m!

The other side of the lake was New York state. To the north the lake went into Canada.

The water was really warm. The kids spent about 3 hours (my friend has two kids the exact same age as O and F!) messing around on the rings and surf board!

O enjoyed using the surfboard as a stand up paddle! We all had fun and it really was a brilliant relaxing afternoon in great company!

The drive back to the farm took about an hour!

While I sorted out the washing, O made us all another smoked salmon and avocado salad with a pesto dressing!

We are now pretty much packed up. Tomorrow we leave for the long drive to Acadia national park in Maine.

We have loved Vermont. It really is a beautiful state!

app 6 Aug 18 03:29 AM

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 6 Aug 18 3:29 AM.

amy56 6 Aug 18 06:22 AM

That lake looks amazing - were you at a private area or was it open to the public?

So pleased you’ve enjoyed Vermont - we were worried we wouldn’t have anything to do for our two nights! I can see that we will be begging to go back now! Have a wonderful time in Maine & the rest of your trip - might not get chance to read anymore as we fly tomorrow xx

OB1LukeLucas 6 Aug 18 08:45 AM

Having a catch up. Looks like your all having a great time.

mick 6 Aug 18 09:25 AM

Have a safe journey to Maine:spin: Vermont looks a beautiful place

Joan :wave:

CrispyA 6 Aug 18 01:44 PM

The rides look great and that looks like a lovely way to spend an afternoon. Have a brilliant time in Acadia- we loved it!

Jake71 6 Aug 18 02:24 PM

A great day and how lovely to meet up with an old friend.

jocat 12 Aug 18 11:48 PM

A fabulous day in yet more lovely surroundings. It must have been lovely to catch up with your friend after 10 years.

Melbatb 29 Aug 18 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy56 (Post 13409625)
That lake looks amazing - were you at a private area or was it open to the public?

So pleased you’ve enjoyed Vermont - we were worried we wouldn’t have anything to do for our two nights! I can see that we will be begging to go back now! Have a wonderful time in Maine & the rest of your trip - might not get chance to read anymore as we fly tomorrow xx

The beach was a private beach. Both J and I had serious house envy!

Glad to hear you had a fab trip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas (Post 13409792)
Having a catch up. Looks like your all having a great time.

We were! I loved Vermont!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 13409874)
Have a safe journey to Maine:spin: Vermont looks a beautiful place

Joan :wave:

Vermont is a fabulous place - highly recommended!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrispyA (Post 13410368)
The rides look great and that looks like a lovely way to spend an afternoon. Have a brilliant time in Acadia- we loved it!

Thank you! It was another brilliant day!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake71 (Post 13410451)
A great day and how lovely to meet up with an old friend.

I was lucky that our plans coincided with two of my friends!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocat (Post 13423965)
A fabulous day in yet more lovely surroundings. It must have been lovely to catch up with your friend after 10 years.

It was! F loved the hack and the afternoon was a big hit!