theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   DIBB Reporter Photo Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   A Fairytale in New York Christmas 2016 - Day 5 Highline, 9/11 Memorial and Shopping (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=997114)

Melbatb 27 Dec 16 12:41 PM

A Fairytale in New York Christmas 2016 - Day 5 Highline, 9/11 Memorial and Shopping

The day started off as usual - showers, breakfast (the nice lady in the breakfast area keeps me back the cinnamon bagels :) ) and we were ready by about 9am.

First destination was the Highline - unfortunately no website or map had updated itself to say there was a new subway station 200m away. So we got off at 34th St and walked a far few blocks past Penn Station and Madison Square Gardens. The plus side to this was that we saw an Aeropostale shop that was closing down. Mainly ladies so F got 4 t-shirts with 80% off!

There is a lot of development in this area. The tracks below will soon be covered by a building.

Whilst the weather was grey, it was dry and it was interesting to see where the once railway line had gone.

DH and I enjoyed reading about the creation of the park.

The buildings were different than in other parts - it seemed quieter and more spacious.

Loved the car stacking concept - though we couldn't work out how you got the cars in and out (especially if you were in a rush! )

The walk took is about an hour - the kids were not so impressed but the adults like it so a 50% success rate.

We went into Chelsea market - a bit too busy. It seemed to have changed since I was last here 20 months ago.

Loved the halva cakes!

We decided to have an early lunch as the kids were peckish.

I had found a diner online that looked like it would fit the bill.

J had mac'n'cheese, O fish and chips, F a veggie burger and me a veggie chilli. It came to $65 including tip.

We hoped on the subway down to the One World Tower area. There are lots of ticket touts here.

We went to the Memorial Gardens - F found this quite difficult. She knows all about 9/11 but at 12 years ild found it a difficult concept to imagine why someone would do that.

We then went into the new Westfield shopping mall. Structurally it is very impressive inside and out.

Personally, the shops were a bit too high and and it wasn't the easiest place to navigate.

We visited Century 21 - F got slippers and J some shoes. You really have to be prepared here to rummage.

After we went to a Whole Foods - salmon, rice, salads and a veggie curry were acquired to have for dinner!

We then braved Times Square - it was heaving. We went onto the Uniqlo store but it was tiny. I don't think we will be going back at night again.

We got the subway back - no success in our favourite subway game of find the rat!

Back at the hotel we soon crashed.

Numbers of the day:
23,399 steps (over 18km)
5 subway rides.

app 27 Dec 16 01:01 PM

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 27 Dec 16 12:01 PM.

mick 27 Dec 16 10:27 PM

Another good day:spin:

Joan :wave:

Jake71 28 Dec 16 05:23 PM

Interesting parking concept, did you workout how they parked yet, or got out? Another really interesting day.

Melbatb 28 Dec 16 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 12177409)
Another good day:spin:

Joan :wave:

Thanks joan :wave:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake71 (Post 12178446)
Interesting parking concept, did you workout how they parked yet, or got out? Another really interesting day.

We have seen a few of them but still none the wiser :D

jocat 29 Dec 16 02:40 PM

I love the Highline, but can understand why children don't get it.

I hadn't heard about the Westfield mall. It looks very swish.

Really don't like Times Square - I enjoy looking at it from a distance at night, but can't bear being in the middle of the hustle and bustle. It's just far too busy for me.

abiknox 31 Dec 16 11:00 PM

We were amazed too the first time we saw the stackable parking :). Love the Highline & Chelsea Market, shame Times Square was so busy.

Loopylooloo 1 Jan 17 10:36 AM

Find the rat! Ha ha! Great game.
Seems odd to have a westfields in New york, didnt even know that had happened. Love a rummage at century 21. The memorial wasnt built when we last went, but we went into the little church nearby which was very humbling.

Melbatb 2 Jan 17 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocat (Post 12179975)
I love the Highline, but can understand why children don't get it.

I hadn't heard about the Westfield mall. It looks very swish.

Really don't like Times Square - I enjoy looking at it from a distance at night, but can't bear being in the middle of the hustle and bustle. It's just far too busy for me.

I think was Mall has only recently opened!

O commented tgat the Highline looked a lot better in summer when he saw some other photos!

Quote:

Originally Posted by abiknox (Post 12184313)
We were amazed too the first time we saw the stackable parking :). Love the Highline & Chelsea Market, shame Times Square was so busy.

I think it is pretty always busy at Christmas!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo (Post 12184828)
Find the rat! Ha ha! Great game.
Seems odd to have a westfields in New york, didnt even know that had happened. Love a rummage at century 21. The memorial wasnt built when we last went, but we went into the little church nearby which was very humbling.

Love a rat game ;)

I think you can find some great things in C21 if you are in the mood!

Minnie Mum 28 Oct 18 08:33 AM

Looking forward to highline.
Memorial garden is a must for me to visit but undecided on how to handle the conversation with my 11 year old😓