theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   How low will you go (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1132659)

hardly 11 Jun 19 10:21 PM

How low will you go

Just thought I’d ask. Now the dollar is at 1.25:
1.6 to the pound was norm not so long back.
How low before you say not going at that rate.

NewtoOrlando 11 Jun 19 10:34 PM

I’d still go, have been to Europe where it’s been €1.06 to the pound. Still rather go to the states than Europe on holiday at the minute.

Andybear 11 Jun 19 11:16 PM

I'd still go. For the amount I spend I'm not bothered about the exchange rate. This year I'm staying at Disney and have free dining and the only place I'm going off site is Discovery Cove. Breakfast and lunch are included there. So the only money I'll be spending is on Uber to and from DC, tips and souvenirs.

bighal 12 Jun 19 12:10 AM

I would still go because WDW isn't anywhere else...

Gryff 12 Jun 19 02:44 AM

Having paid a fortune in Balboa a few weeks ago for a bowl of soup a tapas plate bread and 2 glasses of wine almost £40 parity won’t
put us off to say we were gob smacked at the price is an understatement we were there for a colleague of DH retirement from the Spanish side of the company they worked for

Juliemack 12 Jun 19 05:22 AM

It is what it is, we have been when it was $2 to the £1, we just have less to spend now for the amount of £'s we exchange.
We've been once or twice a year since 2007 and will probably continue to do the same, the exchange rate is only relevant to the amount of dollars we get back for our pound. I know I'm stating facts here but if I'm going on holiday (and I am regardless) then I have to accept it.

mickey house 12 Jun 19 08:43 AM

The poor exchange rate has definitely been one of the main factors for us deciding not to go next year. We can afford it, but we don't feel it's worth the increased cost.

coggie 12 Jun 19 08:56 AM

Average dollar rate last year was 1.33..so even if you buy everything at 1.25 then the extra cost of a £10k holiday last year would in real terms this year cost an extra £650. Now that's assuming every part of the holiday is impacted by the dollar rate...hotel/villa, tickets, food and spending money may well be but not sure about flight prices

chids 12 Jun 19 09:11 AM

We've already said we're not going back. The increased prices and the poor exchange rate has made us decide to spend our money elsewhere. We used to go every 2 years, then when we had the children it went up to every 3 years, it would have been 4 years next year as we had been planning on 2020, but at nearly £10k for the holiday we wanted we've decided not to bother. We could go and do it cheaper, but that's not why we go to Florida, we want the theme parks, we want the eating out, we want Disney and universal. My children have been, my eldest twice so it's not like they've never been and done the whole Disney thing. We will no doubt go again at some point in the future, but for the time being I'm spending my hard earned money elsewhere.

mick 12 Jun 19 09:23 AM

Not surprisingly as a retired Quantity Surveyor I've kept an Excel spread sheet of our Forex transactions over the years. Not completely but going back to November 2001.

The worst rate we had was Sept 18 at $1.30. The best was $1.96 in July 07. The average of our transactions (to you mathematicians out there not a true average but total $ divided by our cost in £ ;) ) is $1.52.

We've never stayed on site, haven't been to a park since 2010 and can count on one hand the number of sit down meals we've had on property so dear old Walt doesn't sway our decision to visit at all.

If anything does impact it's our dining habits. In 2001 we probably ate 95% of dinners at the likes of Longhorn, Bonefish, Texas, Carrabba's and the like. Now we do maybe 70% at those and add in the likes of Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel into the mix plus the occasional Bamboo Wok. I don't think it's really the Forex rate that lead us to this. More likely that we are now both 73 and don't have the appetites that we had 18 years ago.

I think we will always find the money to go as long as health permits but just moderate our spending over there.

Mick