theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   *UPDATED* Abuse On (Non Dibb) Chat Forum (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=793136)

jdybnsn 7 May 14 03:20 PM

*UPDATED* Abuse On (Non Dibb) Chat Forum

I've just found a horribly abusive post naming me specifically on another (non Dibb) chat forum. It uses appalling language and its most insulting.:(

Apart from reporting it to a moderator (which I have) - do I have any legal redress ?:erm:

technium 7 May 14 03:30 PM

Sorry cant help but didnt want to read and run. Before its too late make sure you print screen shots etc incase you decide to take it further so you can use it as evidence.

Shame not every forum is as friendly and helpful as the Dibb.

Guest 7 May 14 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdybnsn (Post 9592593)
I've just found a horribly abusive post naming me specifically on another (non Dibb) chat forum. It uses appalling language and it most insulting.:(

Apart from reporting it to a moderator (which I have) - do I have any legal redress ?:erm:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malic...tions_Act_1988

jdybnsn 7 May 14 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by technium (Post 9592615)
Sorry cant help but didnt want to read and run. Before its too late make sure you print screen shots etc incase you decide to take it further so you can use it as evidence.

Shame not every forum is as friendly and helpful as the Dibb.

Thanks I'll do that now . I can't believe what some people write - I don't even think they know me - they have just have seen something I've written elsewhere on line on an unconnected web site.

dee slack 7 May 14 03:36 PM

Why do some morons think it's OK to hide behind a computer screen and abuse someone?
I don't have any advice for you I'm afraid, but wish you luck in sorting something out and sending you a cyber hug.

skalexander 7 May 14 03:36 PM

You could take a case for defamation. However, our firm's cost estimate for such a case is around £60,000 (for information only, I'm not touting for work) and the risk is huge as defamation is notoriously difficult to prove. First of all you'd have to find the person who wrote the defamatory statement, not easy when they're a screen name on a website. Then you've got to prove the defamation. The presence of the material on the website isn't sufficient - you also have to satisfy the Court that the person being defamed is identifiable as you (and in this case that would mean you personally, not you the person who posts under a particular name). You'd also have to prove that its caused damage to you (for example damage to a business reputation) or that it has caused fair minded persons to think worse of you - again this is you the person, not you the person who posts on a website.

I would stop using the website in question and move on, life is too short.

jdybnsn 7 May 14 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skalexander (Post 9592636)
You could take a case for defamation. However, our firm's cost estimate for such a case is around £60,000 (for information only, I'm not touting for work) and the risk is huge as defamation is notoriously difficult to prove. First of all you'd have to find the person who wrote the defamatory statement, not easy when they're a screen name on a website. Then you've got to prove the defamation. The presence of the material on the website isn't sufficient - you also have to satisfy the Court that the person being defamed is identifiable as you (and in this case that would mean you personally, not you the person who posts under a particular name). You'd also have to prove that its caused damage to you (for example damage to a business reputation) or that it has caused fair minded persons to think worse of you - again this is you the person, not you the person who posts on a website.

I would stop using the website in question and move on, life is too short.

Thanks for the advice :thumbs-up

Its not a website I use at all - it was brought to my attention by someone who does use it... as it gives not only my full name, occupation and my location (very small village)..so absoutely is me.:omg:

The difficulty is that the poster may well be difficult to trace as may or may not have a permenant address.

Guest 7 May 14 03:48 PM

That's awful , take no notice Hun some people are just mean have clearly have no life's , maybe you could report them for slander?

jdybnsn 7 May 14 05:15 PM

The post has been moderated but it still names me, and though the more disgusting references have gone, its still pretty insulting & upsetting.:(

Guest 7 May 14 05:31 PM

Did you see the link I put above ?