theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Trip Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Who loves Airport lounge's? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1108972)

DDD 5 Dec 18 10:24 PM

Who loves Airport lounge's?

Evening all!

There seems to be a really good deal for airport lounges if I buy before Sunday through money saving expert.

Just can’t decide so thought you guys could help me!

We’ve been in the vroom once and absolutely loved it. Kids were younger and I could keep an eye on them much more easily. Not been to other lounges though.

We’re travelling peak summer time Gatwick South terminal so find the airport often busy with little space to sit and relax. I get nervous going through the airport (fine once I’m on the plane!) so find a more relaxing space tempting.

The downside for me is if we’d get much time in there... I was put off booking one a couple of years ago because due to huge lines at checkin and security we literally had 20 mins in the departure lounge (despite being at the airport 3 hrs before!).

Next year we are travelling premium so will hopefully get a speedy checkin and priority security. So I think we’d get enough time.

Benefits along with quieter space are food and drinks. We’d eat at airport so even a drink and sandwich would be £10 each, so cost is very reasonable. I think you can get alcohol too but I’d probably stick to soft drinks, hubby would definitely indulge. :-)

So my question is do I book it? If so which one have people used? No1 lounge is at £97 or Mylounge at £68. What sort of food did you have and enjoy? I’m veggie and my dd is fussy eater...I’ve looked at menu but interested in people’s personal experiences. We’d be there for our flight at 1 pm so be there about 10.30/11. What happens if airline changes your flight time?

Let me know what you think! Thank you
DDD

DDD 6 Dec 18 11:24 PM

Anyone who can help? Thank you

florida girl 7 Dec 18 03:25 PM

At those prices not sure I would bother. We have used the No1 Lounge which we access though our bank we enjoy the food ( bacon roll one per person although quite small, cereal, pastries,fruit ,cheese this changes after 11am ) and drinks (beer,spirits,wine ) they offer also a nice place to sit away from the crowds.

DisneyDaffodil 7 Dec 18 03:57 PM

We have used airport lounges twice, not at Gatwick though, and really enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere and included food and drinks while waiting to board. But I have only booked when it’s been very cheap (free once with the HE deal when they had it) I don’t think I would pay £97 for it, is that for just 2 of you? £68 may be cheaper but if it’s for 2, it’s still quite a lot for a couple of hours.

If you do book, then head to the airport as soon as your check in opens or just before and use priority security (we paid just £1 pp for this at Gatwick in October so look out for sales on this) so you can maximise the time there. I agree that Gatwick isn’t great to wait in, not enough seating or good affordable places to eat or drink. So, if you can afford it and fancy it, why not book it and treat yourself? 😀

snowbelle 7 Dec 18 04:31 PM

Depending on the amount of flights leaving at around the same time makes all the difference.
We have been in number 1 lounge when it’s been heaving and they couldn’t get snacks out fast enough.
We have also been in them when they are nice and quiet, more and more people use them now so the chances of them being really quiet is quite minimal .
Tbh your prices are quite high , would you eat or drink that much to justify it ?
The only place I would def book one is Birmingham airport from April onwards as it gets packed , not your answer I know 😐

deeky 7 Dec 18 10:54 PM

Hi No.1 Lounge are doing special offers at the moment and are coming in at £64 for two people. I always use a lounge but not sure I would pay £94 given that you never get the three hours.

mitch-fishguard 8 Dec 18 09:54 AM

As far as Im concerned, its the biggest waste of money ive ever experienced. Never again

foiled 8 Dec 18 08:51 PM

If you sign up for an American Express gold card (free for the first year, but make sure you cancel before that) gets you 2 free longe passes that can be used at the No 1 Lounge in Gatwick

cornishfrogboy 9 Dec 18 02:15 PM

I have used vroom a couple of times and found it relatively enjoyable, if somewhat expensive.

My problem is what I am missing out on by being in the lounge. I love the hustle and bustle, people watching whilst making up scandalous, ludicrous, fictitious stories as to what various 'interesting ' passengers might be doing or going to, shop browsing (but very rarely buying), plane spotting balcony etc etc etc.

We fly but once a year on average and this is a part of the vacation that we enjoy, along with staying in a Premier Inn the night before and having the fat boy buffet breakfast (£18 or so for 2 adults and boys of 12 and 15).

I dont want to pay a premium in order to miss out on all those things that I enjoy.

DDD 9 Dec 18 09:08 PM

This price is for 4 of us, so just over £16 pp. The offer finishes today and I think I’m just going to keep my money for now. I’ve just spent too much this month already so just going to leave it.

Thank you for your replies guys x