theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   still havent got travel insurance sorted,HELP (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1158415)

DebbieJRoss 20 Jan 20 03:53 PM

still havent got travel insurance sorted,HELP

OK, My family, dh, 3 sons in 20s and daughter 18 no medical conditions, oldest son rents own flat, how much would anyone think is a reasonable amount to pay for travel insurance and what excess would you pay, this is for Orlando, not doing any sports etc. We have booked flights, dibb villa and park tickets separate. Have looked at loads until im getting myself more confused. Not sure how much we need for each bit, but want enough cover, have already posted and thanks to everyone who answered but just wondered what price I should realistically pay to be adequately covered, dont want to pay too much and not be covered enough and dont want to be mean and not have cover for the sake of a few pounds:blush:Any help, advice or suggestions truly welcomed and needed lol:confused2

sprocket 20 Jan 20 04:04 PM

People dont realise how important travel insurance is to get early. You said no medical conditions, so even more reason to get soon. If someone gets ill then this could effect or prevent them getting cover.
Due to the ages, some companies wont cover you as a family and it will need to be a group of 6 adults.
First place to start is your bank, sometimes this is the cheapest place to get good cover for a small monthly fee. The older children should be covered for a small extra fee.
After this try the comparison sites and some larger ones direct, like Aviva.
You are looking for 5 star defaqto cover.
Also price for Annual and Single trip. Some companies it is very similar price with more benefits with Annual.
Go through Quidco for a few extra pounds.

toonarmani 20 Jan 20 04:36 PM

Agree with the bank route - one reason why I changed to HSBC Premier.

DebbieJRoss 20 Jan 20 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=toonarmani;14250161]Agree with the bank route - one reason why I changed to HSBC Premier.[/

I am with the Halifax but only ordinary current account so doesn't have the insurance unfortunately

boltyboy 20 Jan 20 04:48 PM

Travel insurance should be taken out as soon as you have booked even part of your holiday, it not only covers when you are away but also before you go. Try some comparison sites, but don't skimp get good insurance you never know when you will need it.

toonarmani 20 Jan 20 05:52 PM

[QUOTE=DebbieJRoss;14250163]
Quote:

Originally Posted by toonarmani (Post 14250161)
Agree with the bank route - one reason why I changed to HSBC Premier.[/

I am with the Halifax but only ordinary current account so doesn't have the insurance unfortunately

Check other providers and compare with cost of upgrading to Ultimate Reward Current Account (including other benefits in addition to travel insurance) :thumbs-up

I used to have HSBC Advance (discounted rate) and that had travel insurance and breakdown cover, however now get the latter free from Mercedes, so rather than pay for travel insurance, switched to the better HSBC Premier account and benefit from free travel insurance and no longer have to pay per month :grin:

TelfordWolf 20 Jan 20 06:01 PM

Hi - as others say get Insurance ASAP so you are covered :grin:

I use AXA and when I did claim they were very good..

My Annual family policy for 4 people costs around £105 from memory 0 with one small pre-existing medical condition...

disneypars 20 Jan 20 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=DebbieJRoss;14250163]
Quote:

Originally Posted by toonarmani (Post 14250161)
Agree with the bank route - one reason why I changed to HSBC Premier.[/

Have you calculated the cost of upgrading your Halifax account to one that includes travel insurance for your family and when you return from your holiday you can change back again.

Tretinker 20 Jan 20 06:14 PM

Our bank now includes insurance along with any adult children that live at home I believe. We upgrade our bank account as previously we paid approximately £100 for 2 a and 3c while the bank was £10 a month but included many extras.
I would check if they have it with their own banks accounts as it often includes mobile phone insurance as well.

Cocobean121 20 Jan 20 06:28 PM

I have the nationwide flex plus cover with my bank account but they keep trimming off the benefits and soon it will not be worth the £13 a month fee, however, it is unlikely that any children who don’t live at your address, or ones over the age of 21 (I think, or it might be 23) and not in full time education would be covered. I had this problem with my DS when he left college at 19, so I added him as an account holder so he got all the phone and breakdown cover too. We all wanted to be on the same policy.