theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   San Francisco- Self Touring (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1156525)

Jessika 5 Jan 20 02:18 PM

San Francisco- Self Touring

Hello Dibbers. I’m currently trying to plan our west coast trip for August. We have 2 nights in San Francisco arriving from Yosemite. I am currently researching and although Dylan’s tours come highly recommended for our family of 5 (2 adult kids and 1 teen, all adult prices) very expensive and would not allow within our time bracket to see Alcatraz in the evening, ride the cable car and also visit the Disney museum. We have a car so I’m thinking we would be able to self tour but looking for opinions or tips. Thanks in advance. I have booked the Buena Vista Motor inn accidentally, I meant to book the Columbus Motor inn but may just keep this reservation so won’t be located as closest to Fisherman’s wharf.

kirkdalewdw 5 Jan 20 02:31 PM

parking outside the Disney museum was quite cheap, was $2 per hour, we paid for 3 hours. As for Alcatraz, we walked down from the Lombard motor inn and then got an uber back, that cost $8 and there is a dedicated uber parking pick up just in front. Driving round San Francisco was easy. We did drive out the beach by the zoo. Can't help you with cable car as we have never bothered as the queues are always too big and we don't do standing around waiting ;)

jdouds 5 Jan 20 03:03 PM

Hi in reality you have 1.5 days. You will arrive lunch time or early afternoon. Where are you staying. On the day you arrive perhaps fisherman’s wharf followed by the evening tour of Alcatraz. Next morning Disney museum and the bridge over to Sausalito for lunch. An evening for ghardellies and tram ride . This just about as much as you have time for. Next morning you will be off again.
What else have you planned.
Have you booked valley floor tour for Yosemite, great for getting your bearings and a little light history. ( 2 hours open top trailer ) very good

Jessika 5 Jan 20 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirkdalewdw (Post 14227299)
parking outside the Disney museum was quite cheap, was $2 per hour, we paid for 3 hours. As for Alcatraz, we walked down from the Lombard motor inn and then got an uber back, that cost $8 and there is a dedicated uber parking pick up just in front. Driving round San Francisco was easy. We did drive out the beach by the zoo. Can't help you with cable car as we have never bothered as the queues are always too big and we don't do standing around waiting ;)

Some good information so thank you. Was hoping to get up early and line up for the cable cars but we arrive in the city on our 7th day so the likelihood is we will struggle to wake too early! I was thinking to Uber to and from the boat for Alcatraz.

Jessika 5 Jan 20 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdouds (Post 14227354)
Hi in reality you have 1.5 days. You will arrive lunch time or early afternoon. Where are you staying. On the day you arrive perhaps fisherman’s wharf followed by the evening tour of Alcatraz. Next morning Disney museum and the bridge over to Sausalito for lunch. An evening for ghardellies and tram ride . This just about as much as you have time for. Next morning you will be off again.
What else have you planned.
Have you booked valley floor tour for Yosemite, great for getting your bearings and a little light history. ( 2 hours open top trailer ) very good

Yes 1.5 days is not long and was thinking Alcatraz for first night maybe even tick off the mrs doubtfire house and full house houses too! Not too fussed on Sausalito but thinking to visit Muir Woods. I was hoping to ride the tram early ( not sure this will happen to save lining up!). I am hoping to put together a very fleeting visit of the sights some of them a quick picture stop is all we will need. I would also like a quick visit to the arcade with the old machines.

The only thing I’ve booked for Yosemite at present is the accommodation and have booked Yosemite Valley Lodge. I have been told by colleagues the self touring is very easy, i hope they are not lying.

We are flying into Vegas and out of LA. My lose plan is the Grand Canyon with a night at the Maswick Lodge booked, back to LV for 2 nights, Yosemite 2 nights, San Francisco 2 nights and I’m putting together the next next chunk so still unsure but finishing at Disneyland hotel (booked) for our last 4 nights. We are away 16 nights in total and expect to be exhausted!

jdouds 5 Jan 20 05:17 PM

Hi for Yosemite again you will arrive late in the day, it’ll take 6/7 hours to get there via tioga pass which is fantastic. If your there early enough would urge you take the tour it’ll make things easier. On the next morning would suggest you do the walk up the vernal waterfalls and down via the John muir trail. In the afternoon drive up to glacier point and a walk over to El Capitan . The couple of films about El Capitan being climbed are just incredible and well worth watching before you go, the dawn wall and free solo.

juliab 5 Jan 20 06:01 PM

We got to San Francisco in the afternoon and went on one of the last afternoon tours to Alcatraz. The next day we rode the cable cars in the morning the queues were quite long so would advise getting therre really early.
We booked a Dylan's tour as a treat, it was our wedding anniversary but we booked the little e-tuk which was cheaper, we're a family of 5. Also found a offer code so that made the tour cheaper but it was just for 2 hours. We did cover a lot of ground but you can do this yourself if you have a car.

Jessika 5 Jan 20 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdouds (Post 14227585)
Hi for Yosemite again you will arrive late in the day, it’ll take 6/7 hours to get there via tioga pass which is fantastic. If your there early enough would urge you take the tour it’ll make things easier. On the next morning would suggest you do the walk up the vernal waterfalls and down via the John muir trail. In the afternoon drive up to glacier point and a walk over to El Capitan . The couple of films about El Capitan being climbed are just incredible and well worth watching before you go, the dawn wall and free solo.

Thank you so much for this advice and information which is extremely helpful. This is our first and probably only trip to the west coast together so am extremely grateful for planning help.

Jessika 5 Jan 20 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliab (Post 14227678)
We got to San Francisco in the afternoon and went on one of the last afternoon tours to Alcatraz. The next day we rode the cable cars in the morning the queues were quite long so would advise getting therre really early.
We booked a Dylan's tour as a treat, it was our wedding anniversary but we booked the little e-tuk which was cheaper, we're a family of 5. Also found a offer code so that made the tour cheaper but it was just for 2 hours. We did cover a lot of ground but you can do this yourself if you have a car.

I was initially thinking to do the Alcatraz evening tour on arrival day to get stuff straight in and then have the whole of the next day to freestyle tour. My only worry is pre booking and not arriving in time but it does make more sense (in my head) to do this! I bet the e-turn tour was fab and until yesterday was totally going to book with Dylan’s but we have decided to splurge and stay onsite at Disneyland at the end and many of the hotels have resort fees and with 5 of us will be booking 2 rooms in some places.

I will pre warn my crew that we will need to be inline for the cable cars first thing as it’s something I really don’t want to miss. Thank you so much for responding, I’m really looking forward to your report for hints and tips.

juliab 6 Jan 20 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessika (Post 14227850)
I was initially thinking to do the Alcatraz evening tour on arrival day to get stuff straight in and then have the whole of the next day to freestyle tour. My only worry is pre booking and not arriving in time but it does make more sense (in my head) to do this! I bet the e-turn tour was fab and until yesterday was totally going to book with Dylan’s but we have decided to splurge and stay onsite at Disneyland at the end and many of the hotels have resort fees and with 5 of us will be booking 2 rooms in some places.

I will pre warn my crew that we will need to be inline for the cable cars first thing as it’s something I really don’t want to miss. Thank you so much for responding, I’m really looking forward to your report for hints and tips.

We only just made it to our tour so i would book it as late as you can i would say you need to be leaving Yosemite in the morning though so i don't know what your plans are for that day.
It's hard isn't it trying to make a plan, maybe just write down your must haves for San Francisco then work around that.
We walked past the Powell/Mason cable car turnaround at about 8.30 and it wasn't busy so it depends which line you want to ride on.
I hope the trip report helps with your planning and good luck.