theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Tipping (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1152034)

steandtrish 7 Nov 19 01:55 PM

Tipping

On our trip in August we were on the Dining Plan and the suggested tips seem excessive. At a signature restaurant the tip was easily $60 for 2 adults and 2 children. Even at Crystal Palace which is a buffet the bill was over $200 which gives a suggested tip of over $40 and really the server just gets you seated and brings drinks.

Perhaps we're not used to tips at that level but it just seems too much.

BigSkip 7 Nov 19 02:16 PM

Maybe do QSDP next time? The level of tipping should not come as a surprise if you've got gold ears. It gets discussed quite often.

claireyfairy8 7 Nov 19 02:17 PM

A signature restaurant is $$$ though? $60 for 4 of you isn't bad.

Are you on DDP?

catherinesian 7 Nov 19 02:32 PM

I knew how much the tips would be but it still was a bit painful adding them all up at the end of the trip! We had gift cards but overspent on merch so we did effectively pay OOP for the tips.

One of the reasons we plan to do QSDP next time :)

BarryL 7 Nov 19 10:39 PM

I'd also add that servers at buffets do a lot more than seat you and bring drinks. You'll see them more often than most other TS.

Some of the best and hard working servers we've had over the years have been at buffets

bighal 7 Nov 19 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steandtrish (Post 14162928)
On our trip in August we were on the Dining Plan and the suggested tips seem excessive. At a signature restaurant the tip was easily $60 for 2 adults and 2 children. Even at Crystal Palace which is a buffet the bill was over $200 which gives a suggested tip of over $40 and really the server just gets you seated and brings drinks.

Perhaps we're not used to tips at that level but it just seems too much.

You do know its only a suggestion and you can tip less (or more if you are so inclined) and no one will bat an eyelid.

They cannot force you tip at all and certainly cannot tell you what to tip as that's illegal. Just tip what you think the service was worth to you and ignore what anyone tells you to tip.

jdouds 7 Nov 19 11:42 PM

Agree with bighal, good service good tip etc

dx4100 8 Nov 19 12:08 AM

When you think you can go to the Cracker Barrel and a family of four can be feed and watered for $40 and the waitress works no less hard than the servers at Disney it does show up in the injustice of the tip system in the states.

$50 @ 18% = $9
$200 @ 18% = $36

dx4100 8 Nov 19 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighal (Post 14163856)
You do know its only a suggestion and you can tip less (or more if you are so inclined) and no one will bat an eyelid.

They cannot force you tip at all and certainly cannot tell you what to tip as that's illegal. Just tip what you think the service was worth to you and ignore what anyone tells you to tip.

I am amazed that not only is this opinion still aired on here but its liked by others...

Service is "optional" from a legal stand up but anyone suggesting no one is going to bat an eyelide is absolutely wrong / or it isn't expect / or it ok not to tip...

Good service = the expected tip of 15 to 20%

Bad service = tip around 5 to 10% and you should complain to the manager to explain why. Or at least write on the bill why...

If you tip 0% you are literally expecting the person to work for pretty much nothing...

Minimum wage for a server is $5.44

Northerndave 8 Nov 19 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dx4100 (Post 14163973)
Bad service = tip around 5 to 10% and you should complain to the manager to explain why. Or at least write on the bill why...

If you tip 0% you are literally expecting the person to work for pretty much nothing...

If you got bad service, why would consider tipping 10%, that sounds crazy to me.

If I get bad service, I tip a single dollar and note on the receipt why I am tipping that amount.