theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Car Hire & Transportation (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Tampa Airport (whats it like) (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1056713)

Guest 29 Nov 17 02:05 PM

Tampa Airport (whats it like)

We have been put off MCO and we are looking at different options. I was originally looking at TUI flying into Sanford(which we have done once before), however i have noticed that Tampa airport is about the same time to travel.

Whats Tampa like?

How is customs?
How is car rental collection?
How is the journey?
Is there much after security on the way home?

boltyboy 29 Nov 17 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NITR8 (Post 12961954)
We have been put off MCO and we are looking at different options. I was originally looking at TUI flying into Sanford(which we have done once before), however i have noticed that Tampa airport is about the same time to travel.

Whats Tampa like?

How is customs?
How is car rental collection?
How is the journey?
Is there much after security on the way home?

Tampa is a much smaller airport than MCO, i assume you will be flying direct with BA if so immigration is a breeze as its one of the only international flights. Car hire is right next to the terminal, the journey is about 1-1.5 hours depending on traffic but an easy drive.
Coming back there isn't much to do after security but its worth it for the price saving. We are flying into Tampa next August, car hire with Alamo including skip the counter we hope to be on our way within an hour of landing.

FloridaDave 29 Nov 17 02:48 PM

Can't fault it. We didn't do immigration there as we flew to NYC first and then down to Tampa 4 days later. Car Hire was a breeze - very quick and we were on our way quickly.

The distance isn't an issue as its a very easy drive down the I4 to Orlando and a very easy airport to navigate. When we flew into Tampa it was brilliant as we were staying at Clearwater Beach first anyway so was there in no time - and when we were driving back from Orlando to Tampa on our way home can't say it took noticeably longer than going to MCO to be honest.

JellyEllieBean 29 Nov 17 02:49 PM

Tampa Airport is a really hideous, awful place to go... don't do it!

I'm just kidding, immigration is quick, Sign up for Avis preferred so you can go straight to the garage and generally about an hour to hour and a quarter to get to Disney area, but ssssssh don't tell everyone or they will all want to go there ;);)

If prices were same I would choose Tampa, but usually with BA, Tampa comes out cheaper, so even better. Xx

Guest 29 Nov 17 03:02 PM

Please stop telling people Tampa is a good airport...

If eberyone gets to know how good it is then it will becomes as busy and rubbish as MCO

Guest 29 Nov 17 03:10 PM

Ok so tampa is a bad airport ;)

Guest 29 Nov 17 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NITR8 (Post 12962030)
Ok so tampa is a bad airport ;)

The worst ever ;) :swink:

chrisxal 29 Nov 17 09:33 PM

OK, I am a frequent BA flyer and normally fly into MCO 2-3 times a year, on 1st November we flew into Tampa and it was horrendous. Immigration took nearly 2 hours, there was only 2 desks open, we had all gone through the new automated machines, had our finger prints and photos checked but then had to queue up at the desks to do the same thing again, by the time we got through all our luggage had been unloaded and stacked against the wall and conveyor belt stopped, as the luggage was stacked against the wall it was difficult to find our cases until a family decided to climb over the cases and throw/pass cases to the front. It was beyond a joke and the worst experience we have had flying to USA in nearly 30 years.

Gryff 30 Nov 17 01:29 AM

We use Tampa as well only thing be aware if there's a Bucs game or any sporting event on traffic can be a night mare both ways as can rush hour traffic on the way home but an easy drive both ways

fredflintstone 30 Nov 17 02:00 AM

I'd rate Sanford and Tampa as the same. Both have little international traffic so you tend to be the only plane in immigration so this tends to be pain free. Both have easy access to car rental. Sanford is arguablly nearer but the difference is small.
Tampa has better facilites when leaving BEFORE you go through security but probably worse than Sanford after security . Although Sanford is very expensive past security.

So from a landing experience and journey they are similar. Personally love Tampa as I tend to be on the gulf by the end of my hols so its nice and near. Nothing worse than driving past TPA on the way to MCO or Sanford.