theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Additional Support Needs & DAS (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Priority With Suitcases (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1163791)

Dancingducks 9 Mar 20 02:51 PM

Priority With Suitcases

Hello :)

Recently came back from MCO into Manchester with Virgin Atlantic, teenage son (Autism, developmental delay) had meltdown as our suitcases took nearly an hour to appear on the baggage escalator.

We had prepared for this eventuality (pictures, games to play, tablet to watch, food if hungry), didn't help. We've travelled quite a lot to Florida and back, last couple of trips has been like this re baggage.

VA state they don't have a system where they can help prioritise out luggage to come off as early as possible, son is adamant a previous airline we used did this for us. Does anyone know who it can be ? We've travelled with nearly all of them so I'm :confused2 as to who it might have been.

Thank you

TeeKayDawn 9 Mar 20 05:18 PM

Thomas Cook used to offer the luggage being prioritised as part of their PE, however it was never guaranteed if you read the small print as it depends on the ground staff that aren’t employed by the airline.
We found that on the outbound our luggage always seemed to come off first with one exception ((MCO), but inbound was a different matter every time. Except when we came back from Cuba and it was one of first off in both directions.

Dancingducks 9 Mar 20 05:35 PM

Thank you, we used them last August, think I would have remembered so recently ! Flown with Thomson and BA too

gismo1554 10 Mar 20 08:40 AM

Most airlines the only priority for luggage is when you travel in a higher than economy class but as said nothing is very really guaranteed.

Dancingducks 10 Mar 20 09:44 AM

I appreciate it's not a guarantee, the chance would be really helpful :) Anything to stop a meltdown :cool2:

duchy 10 Mar 20 10:18 AM

Why not opt out of the system entirely and travel hand baggage only?
Not sure what Virgin do (I’m not a fan) but BA hand baggage is a massive 23 kg and just restricted by size so on a shorts and T shirt holiday and a wash after a week . Most hotels have washers and dryers usually near the pool so you don’t need to sit by the machine for the cycle. Disney’s machines even have their app to tell you when it’s ready.
We pack a very light flat pack nylon hold all so coming home as we travel on the cheaper hand baggage fare the dirty washing goes in there and we pay £40 ish to check it in and the stuff we’ve bought or if delayed might cause a meltdown goes into the carry on. (I have an adult ASD son but we do it on trips without him too as it makes things easier). BA allow an overhead sized suitcase and a personal item each like a bag, laptop bag or backpack that will fit under the seat. Laptop bags used to be my choice as the under seat bag but more recently as we now only take tablets we use day packs which take iPad, phone , sweets , water, shorts and a t shirt etc and do double duty as park bags once in Orlando.
I wouldn’t pay to travel business purely for luggage priority ... it doesn’t always work ! Especially with MCO.
I’m a greater believer in avoiding anything that can trigger a meltdown when travelling so for us hand baggage only works and the trip to Dollartree for toiletries (or a pick up from Boots airside if you want specific brands , you can order online in advance) and an hour doing laundry max is well worth it. We use packing cubes as I find I can pack much more with it. Last trip my husband helpfully packed when I was working without using cubes and was about to get a check able suitcase out as “it doesn’t all fit” . I repacked with cubes and we didn’t need it :)
Last trip we did a cruise after Orlando and even with dressier clothes for sea nights it all fitted , although this year I may use the ship’s laundry service aboard as it’s very reasonable as we are doing a week rather than five days cruising.

Bootrip2 10 Mar 20 11:22 AM

I always take DD off to side of luggage hall to sit quietly away from the luggage as she gets stressed too when she has to wait for luggage as she thinks they have lost it!

Dancingducks 10 Mar 20 01:45 PM

I'd love to unfortunately not sure, sons' toys, tablet, medical supplies would fit into a couple of lockers let alone our hand luggage. Need them all to keep him within his routine as much as possible

Dancingducks 10 Mar 20 01:46 PM

It's just me and son thus thinking of asking asking for assistance (quiet area as you say) for when we do arrive at airports next time ?

coggie 10 Mar 20 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duchy (Post 14326706)
Why not opt out of the system entirely and travel hand baggage only?
Not sure what Virgin do (I’m not a fan) but BA hand baggage is a massive 23 kg and just restricted by size so on a shorts and T shirt holiday and a wash after a week . Most hotels have washers and dryers usually near the pool so you don’t need to sit by the machine for the cycle. Disney’s machines even have their app to tell you when it’s ready.
We pack a very light flat pack nylon hold all so coming home as we travel on the cheaper hand baggage fare the dirty washing goes in there and we pay £40 ish to check it in and the stuff we’ve bought or if delayed might cause a meltdown goes into the carry on. (I have an adult ASD son but we do it on trips without him too as it makes things easier). BA allow an overhead sized suitcase and a personal item each like a bag, laptop bag or backpack that will fit under the seat. Laptop bags used to be my choice as the under seat bag but more recently as we now only take tablets we use day packs which take iPad, phone , sweets , water, shorts and a t shirt etc and do double duty as park bags once in Orlando.
I wouldn’t pay to travel business purely for luggage priority ... it doesn’t always work ! Especially with MCO.
I’m a greater believer in avoiding anything that can trigger a meltdown when travelling so for us hand baggage only works and the trip to Dollartree for toiletries (or a pick up from Boots airside if you want specific brands , you can order online in advance) and an hour doing laundry max is well worth it. We use packing cubes as I find I can pack much more with it. Last trip my husband helpfully packed when I was working without using cubes and was about to get a check able suitcase out as “it doesn’t all fit” . I repacked with cubes and we didn’t need it :)
Last trip we did a cruise after Orlando and even with dressier clothes for sea nights it all fitted , although this year I may use the ship’s laundry service aboard as it’s very reasonable as we are doing a week rather than five days cruising.

Fair play to BA offering that weight limit, think Virgin is about 10kg