theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Disney Addresses The Reason For Lower than Expected Crowds at Disneyland (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1140287)

Stu 7 Aug 19 09:37 AM

Disney Addresses The Reason For Lower than Expected Crowds at Disneyland

With the opening of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge the crowd levels at Disneyland were expected to be huge, however it turns out that the attendance level was and still is lower than most expected.

Over the last few years we have become accustomed to seeing extremely long lines and packed theme parks whenever a major new attraction opens.

With Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge arguably being one of the most highly anticipated expansions to come to a Disney theme park in a long time. The expectation of extremely long lines and a packed to capacity theme park just didn't materialise, so why is that?

We have had many discussions on the DIBB theorising about the crowd levels, everything from the reservation system used during the first few weeks, keeping people away, to comments about the Annual Pass blackouts, price increases and even the issue that die hard Star Wars fans may not connect with Galaxy's Edge being that it doesn't revolve around the original Star Wars trilogy. Now Disney CEO Bob Iger has spoken out about the low attendance levels.

Bob Iger shared his thoughts on the subject during Disney’s Q3 FY19 Earnings Results Webcast.

"First of all, helped in part by some of our efforts, there was tremendous concern in the marketplace that there was going to be huge crowding when we opened Galaxy's Edge. So some people stayed away, just because they expected that it would not be a great guest experience."

"At the same time that that was going on, all of the local hotels in the region, expecting a huge influx of visitation, raised their prices,"

"So it simply got more expensive to come stay in Anaheim. In addition to that, we raised our prices, we brought our daily price up, so if you think about local visitation, we brought the price of a one-day ticket up substantially from a year ago."

"And then we opened up Galaxy's Edge with one attraction instead of two, the second attraction is going to open in January and so all of those factors contributed to attendance that was below what we would have hoped it would be. That said, guest satisfaction, interest in the attraction in the land is extremely high, it's the most popular thing at the park. And so, long term, we build these things for the long term, we have no concerns whatsoever about them. We're opening Galaxy's Edge in August in Orlando, the second attraction there will open in December, and, as I said, the second attraction in Anaheim will open in January, so we feel great about the product we've created, it just takes some time to, basically for us, to work themselves out in terms of how the marketplace is reacting."

It remains to be seen how the crowds will react to the Walt Disney World (WDW) opening of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge at the end of this month and beyond.

There are many things happening at WDW around the same time that Star Wars Galaxy's Edge will be in it's opening weeks that will have a bearing one way or another on the crowd levels such as.
  • Early entry to Disney Hollywood Studios starting at 6am
  • Extra magic hours at the other Disney theme parks
  • Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party at the Magic Kingdom
  • The Food and Wine Festival at EPCOT

Mr Tom Morrow 7 Aug 19 09:52 AM

Stu.

Thank you for posting this as I hadn't spotted his comments elsewhere.

To me it is normal 'Mid Atlantic' CEO twaddle that doesn't actually get to the point or even offer an explanation that is honest.

The one thing that does leap out at me is Bob Igers subliminal arrogance - we gave you this, we raised our prices and you the public are the losers by not going.

trampslikeus 7 Aug 19 09:54 AM

I don't think Galaxy's Edge has lived up to the hype, essentially it is one huge merch stall with a modernised Mission Space (Green) attraction.

sprocket 7 Aug 19 10:23 AM

If your a big fan, you will be waiting for the whole Galaxy to be opened, not just one not to exciting ride.

deanobrown 7 Aug 19 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow (Post 14000728)
Stu.

Thank you for posting this as I hadn't spotted his comments elsewhere.

To me it is normal 'Mid Atlantic' CEO twaddle that doesn't actually get to the point or even offer an explanation that is honest.

The one thing that does leap out at me is Bob Igers subliminal arrogance - we gave you this, we raised our prices and you the public are the losers by not going.

Right?! He's basically admitting that attendance isn't as high partly due to their ticket prices going up, but then is basically saying that "shouldn't" be a problem!

TigerMom 7 Aug 19 10:48 AM

He may be correct but there must be a concern that they have overestimated the popularity of Star Wars. I'd imagine there are some worried people at Disney right now whatever the reason for the low attendance.

Stu 7 Aug 19 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow (Post 14000728)

I think we have to remember that his comments are directed at the shareholders so will focus more on bolstering future shareholder confidence than outlining the finer details.

Mr Tom Morrow 7 Aug 19 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 14000903)
I think we have to remember that his comments are directed at the shareholders so will focus more on bolstering future shareholder confidence than outlining the finer details.

Stu. Yes you are right. However if I was a very large Shareholder such as a Pension Scheme etc I would be very vocal at the Shareholders Meeting asking what his short and long term tactics & strategy are for a recovery.

However, I still think it's a great ride and although I doubt we will do it this trip we certainly will in November.

Edit. They should put me in charge of it with my awesome Mathematical skills. 90% of the time I would increase the footfall. The other 18% not.:pgig::pgig:

caj 7 Aug 19 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprocket (Post 14000784)
If your a big fan, you will be waiting for the whole Galaxy to be opened, not just one not to exciting ride.

I was ghatting to some off duty cms who have been to wdw cm visits to GE. They were underwhelmed by the ride. One to be ridden once only.

They thought it wont be as crowded as predicted here too.

Pinchy 7 Aug 19 05:56 PM

I've been on a CM preview of the MF ride and it was a bit disappointing. More of the same rather than something original like FOP. It's a sort of cross between ST and MS.

I realise that GE is supposed to be themed as well worn and industrialised but to me it was humourless and rather depressing, more in keeping with a Universal park.