theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   General chat, as we knew it (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1168981)

DisneyDaffodil 25 Apr 20 10:08 PM

General chat, as we knew it
 
Following on from Tracy99ís do you miss the forum before Coronavirus? thread, I wondered if anyone wants to join me in a Ďletís chat about anything but Coronavirusí chat? I know itís scary and important to share our worries about it, but this could be somewhere to chat about our lives, things weíve done or worries non virus related

I will start off the chat by asking advice about my plants. Iíve never had success gardening but today planted a few pots with flowers (sweet William, petunias and sea lavender) also some pots with carrots and radish. They are on my south facing patio and Iíve watered them this evening. Any hints on how to care for them if they do actually appear? We have put them in pots as there are rabbits in the garden so nothing grows there, but we have bird feeders on our patio and also have squirrels visiting so Iíve covered the pots this evening to stop the birds stealing the seeds (as this has happened before) and will uncover each morning until the plants appear. Any other hints would be appreciated.

Please feel free to join in with any random chat

SnowWhite 25 Apr 20 10:20 PM

Hi DisneyDaffodil, It's a good idea to pop some glass over the pots to keep the soil warm and help seeds to germinate, if you get lots of condensation on the take it off during the day and replace at night.. Don't overwater the pots.
Good luck, hope you have lots of lovely flowers and veggies for the summer :)

Loopylooloo 25 Apr 20 10:21 PM

I tried taking cuttings of my neighbours Chillean Potato vine, (potato plant?) its a beautiful purple flowering thingy, that trails over into our garden, so far, they are not fairing well! :d: I dont think I am as green fingered as I thought.

I also have a baby tomato plant a kind person let me Ďadoptí which I am treating like a pet, on the windowsill, its called very imaginatively ĎTommyí :D

Eeyore rocks 25 Apr 20 10:22 PM

Go careful, as my runner beans were just poking through the soil, I took the cover off, and the sun fried them...so I have replanted them. 🙂

JLH 25 Apr 20 10:37 PM

My son decided during the boredom of lockdown to buy a bonsai tree online - stupid boy didnít read the product description and was actually sent seeds which will take ten years to grow! Heís lost interest after two weeks plus they are meant to go in fridge too ! Not room in my fridge for all my food yet alone pots of seeds.

DisneyDaffodil 25 Apr 20 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowWhite (Post 14422172)
Hi DisneyDaffodil, It's a good idea to pop some glass over the pots to keep the soil warm and help seeds to germinate, if you get lots of condensation on the take it off during the day and replace at night.. Don't overwater the pots.
Good luck, hope you have lots of lovely flowers and veggies for the summer :)

Thank you, I have put glass over them to protect them from early bird visits so thatís good to hear it will help them grow too.

I will post photos if they do start to grow

DisneyDaffodil 25 Apr 20 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo (Post 14422178)
I tried taking cuttings of my neighbours Chillean Potato vine, (potato plant?) its a beautiful purple flowering thingy, that trails over into our garden, so far, they are not fairing well! :d: I dont think I am as green fingered as I thought.

I also have a baby tomato plant a kind person let me Ďadoptí which I am treating like a pet, on the windowsill, its called very imaginatively ĎTommyí :D

Iím going to google the Chilean potato plant, Iíve never heard of one but it sounds interesting

I hope your tomato plant grows well, maybe I will name my plants if they appear 😀

DisneyDaffodil 25 Apr 20 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eeyore rocks (Post 14422180)
Go careful, as my runner beans were just poking through the soil, I took the cover off, and the sun fried them...so I have replanted them. 🙂

I do hope your beans grow again. Runner beans are the only thing Iíve ever been able to grow well, didnít plant them this year but in the past we have filled our freezer, ate them every week and provided all our families with bag fulls of beans

Kat11 25 Apr 20 10:49 PM

Iím in! Now... 🤔 let me think of something interesting to say? 😂

Kat

DisneyDaffodil 25 Apr 20 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLH (Post 14422204)
My son decided during the boredom of lockdown to buy a bonsai tree online - stupid boy didnít read the product description and was actually sent seeds which will take ten years to grow! Heís lost interest after two weeks plus they are meant to go in fridge too ! Not room in my fridge for all my food yet alone pots of seeds.

😂😂😂
At least your son is young enough to see them grow 😂 I love bonsais but I think they are very difficult to grow so I donít think I would stand a chance of growing those from seed. Good luck 🤣


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.