theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Car Hire & Transportation (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   BA upgrade option (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1056449)

lossieglen 26 Nov 17 10:36 AM

BA upgrade option

Hi
We booked with BA online to fly INV-TPA (July18)
When I click on option to query cost of upgrade it declines to do so online and asks me to contact service centre.
Anyone got any ideas why I can upgrade online.

jim jehosofat 26 Nov 17 12:22 PM

It could be that you've got an unupgradeable ticket so you have to upgrade that ticket to an economy ticket that you can upgrade to or it could just be down to BA's IT system.

Norris1969 26 Nov 17 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lossieglen (Post 12958403)
Hi
When I click on option to query cost of upgrade it declines to do so online and asks me to contact service centre.

If you’re query is related to upgrading your car (assuming you have booked flight + car through BA?) then you don’t have an option to upgrade on-line. I wanted to upgrade our car after the initial booking on this year’s holiday but you have to phone and the price to upgrade was mental.

The problem (it’s not really a ‘problem’ as such, just the reality of how the booking works) is that BA don’t pay Avis until you’ve finished your booking, therefore Avis don’t recognise that you’ve paid anything until you have started your booking and handed over the pre-paid voucher that you will have as part of your BA booking.

The cost to upgrade over the phone was more than I could book the full car for elsewhere therefore your ‘best’ option is to upgrade when you arrive in Tampa. Don’t forget you will also have a chance of finding something bigger in the ‘free to swap’ row in the Avis garage (pot luck but there may be something there that you fancy, but you need to have booked a minimum ‘intermediate’ level car in your original booking to be able to use the swap row).

Lastly, remember to join Avis Preferred before you go, this allows you to skip the desk in the terminal and go straight to the garage desk (shorter queue).

tiggerdigger 27 Nov 17 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lossieglen (Post 12958403)
Hi

I had the same message when I looked at this a couple of weeks ago for flight to Tampa at the end of June. I have a load of Avios points so wanted to see what if any options I had to upgrade. Anyway I called and was told that it is all dependent on the type of ticket and the fare class on the ticket as it would appear that many of the BA holidays have the lowest fare classes. The cost to upgrade our tickets was just ridiculous, I think they wanted £500 per person (3 of us) and 45,000 Avios points to upgrade to WT+ therefore I politely declined:angry::angry::angry:

But best to call anyway as you might get a better deal.