theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Flydrive BA or Virgin Atlantic? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1142998)

Grimdogg 25 Aug 19 04:56 PM

Flydrive BA or Virgin Atlantic?

Ok - so I have reviewed the total costs for flydrive to Orlando and have the following questions if anyone would be so kind to offer their experience/advice.

The quotes are for July 2020 - 5 adults 2 children

British Airways = £761 per person
Virgin Atlantic = £1372 per person

We flew with Virgin Atlantic in 2018 and paid about £1300 that time - 1st question is why is there such a difference in price between these two airlines?

Second question - I have also looked at purchasing the flight and van hire independently and have managed to get a much better price than packaging the holiday as a fly drive.

British Airways + 15 seater mini van = £644 per person.

Why is this option cheaper than the flydrive? I would choose to do this option to save some money but my wife seems to think this option is riskier and therefore not worth the saving of £100 per person.

I think she is mad...

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Softy 25 Aug 19 05:11 PM

BAs flights come out a few weeks before virgin, and virgin generally price extra high the first week or 2. What are your dates in July? Makes a huge difference if you're in/out of school holidays.

Nothing wrong with booking the car and flight independently. Sometimes it’s cheaper, sometimes it’s not. In my last 10 trips I’ve only once booked a flydrive, the rest have been flight and car separate. Which website have you found the car?

galaxyflorida 25 Aug 19 05:12 PM

Doesn't matter if you book the flights and car hire separately or together as a flydrive. Not risky at all. For nearly half the price, definitely go with BA.

Grimdogg 25 Aug 19 05:19 PM

Dates are for 17th July until 2nd August.

Found the price for car hire on Momondo comparison website. The car rental company is called Avis.

I’ll keep checking prices online to review the total cost but if BA are cheaper I think this is the way to go. Can any one share their experiences of flying long haul with BA? Is it cheaper because of the service you receive? I can’t see how just because the flights are released earlier cuts the cost in half!

Mark

mick 25 Aug 19 05:25 PM

I can't answer all your specific questions but I'm not a all surprised at the difference in cost.

In the spring we have used Thomas Cook PE for the past four years because their flights alone have been up to £1,000 cheaper for two than VS PE.

When we go in the autumn sadly TC don't do PE right through our dates but BA are always cheaper than VS. In Nov 2017 for example we got BA PE including a full size car for 4 weeks cheaper than VS PE flights alone.

One word of caution on fly-drives though. BA with Avis/Budget will always include a fully insured car. The base price with Virgin may be hopelessly under-insured unless you top it up.

You need to take a personal risk assessment on TC finances and BA strike risk.

Mick

Minniebella 25 Aug 19 05:34 PM

We always fly Virgin, but we here now and booked trip last minute as a BA package and I honestly preferred the BA flight to Virgin.We flew intoTampa as it was cheaper, much prefer this airport to mco, the only slight niggle we have had is the Avis car wasn’t as clean and sparkly as we usually get with Alamo.But overall I was impressed with BA

martyn7836 25 Aug 19 05:36 PM

Ive found the difference between these two for last couple of years but BA don't fly direct from Manchester. Last month I priced a fly drive with Virgin holiday and it came in over £3k for family of 4 with suv full insurance etc. I went to Thomas cook for a price and they quoted me £2189. Imagine my shock when I then decided to go with it went to local store to fill out paper work and found out the quote was for the exact same flight as Vigin holiday and same car. I was expecting a TC fly drive but they managed to get me a Virgin flight and car plus gold insurance with fuel and two drivers all for neatly £1k cheaper than VH. Sometimes it's worth checking local travel agents as they have contact and offers we can't get hold off. It's only a idea obviously our dates differ but worth asking. They used usairtours to book it but I've since done on line checkin with Alamo and picked bubble seats for way out (paid extra) and row 37 for return so we can recline at night.

ClaireNJ 25 Aug 19 06:02 PM

VA are always so expensive so it’s a no brainer to go with the cheapest;)let’s hope they resolve the Strike by next year, as I want to book Chicago & Boston :wavey:

Billy Beatnik 25 Aug 19 06:06 PM

Always gone with Virgin, but now you’ve seriously got me considering BA.

becky2203 25 Aug 19 07:45 PM

Virgin Atlantic don't currently have flights available for 2nd August. Is that a Virgin Holidays price? Always find them more expensive.