theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Has anyone ever been unhappy with a solicitor? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1133561)

BucksBugsy 18 Jun 19 01:05 PM

Has anyone ever been unhappy with a solicitor?

I engaged a solicitor (recommended by a number of locals) to do some conveyancing work for me. I happen to think that their rates - for a simply deeds transfer - are way over the top but I needed the work done so paid the deposit - in line with their terms and conditions - and both myself and my ex have completed all of the paper work we need to to get this work completed.

The silence from them has been almost deafening! It is now about 4 weeks since I have had any update from them despite having chased them politely on a weekly basis.

Do I have any right to cancel the agreement for them to do the work? Please, what every advice you give, don't suggest going to see a solicitor !

Regards and thanks

BBx

Lizzim 18 Jun 19 01:22 PM

I would ask to speak to the managing partner who is responsible for the conveyancing department with a view to making a complaint / to ask how they can rectify the situation.

BucksBugsy 18 Jun 19 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzim (Post 13908512)
I would ask to speak to the managing partner who is responsible for the conveyancing department with a view to making a complaint / to ask how they can rectify the situation.

Thank you - that sounds like a good call.

vhm672 18 Jun 19 01:31 PM

Your engagement letter will state the complaints procedure and your rights. This is a legal requirement of all engagement letters so I know it will be there.

If you are not happy you should always express your concerns and expect them to be rectified and I say this as a real estate solicitor although I deal in corporate real estate not conveyancing.

BucksBugsy 18 Jun 19 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vhm672 (Post 13908525)
Your engagement letter will state the complaints procedure and your rights. This is a legal requirement of all engagement letters so I know it will be there.

If you are not happy you should always express your concerns and expect them to be rectified and I say this as a real estate solicitor although I deal in corporate real estate not conveyancing.

I will dig out the engagement letter later - thank you.

Bridget 18 Jun 19 02:14 PM

You should have received an engagement letter that you sign and in that it will state should you have any issue with your case who to contact - it is usually the Head of Department or even the Managing Partner.

BucksBugsy 18 Jun 19 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridget (Post 13908618)
You should have received an engagement letter that you sign and in that it will state should you have any issue with your case who to contact - it is usually the Head of Department or even the Managing Partner.

Thank you - very useful

Minnie18 18 Jun 19 03:32 PM

I think mines has went AWOL I've emailed twice to ask how I sub let my office and had no reply 😭😪😭

ShamuLvr 18 Jun 19 07:27 PM

My solicitors have been awful as well. No communication, solicitor dealing with house purchase left and we were not notified. They missed documents and said it was never received but I found out they had. The guy that took over was as useful as a chocolate teapot and wouldn't even return my calls or emails. I kept going in there asking what was going on and in the end, sent a stinging email to a senior partner detailing their incompetence and was advised a new solicitor was taking over and she got things moving within a day of starting with the company.

I would not recommend this particular solicitors to anyone in a month of Sundays.

Myakka17 18 Jun 19 07:52 PM

All the time with the C**p excuses they provide their "clients" with! Oh you meant conveyancing. Lol!