theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Airport Upgrades (Virgin) - can you pay in miles? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1121408)

abzorba 27 Mar 19 05:47 PM

Airport Upgrades (Virgin) - can you pay in miles?

I'm hoping I can upgrade all 4 of us (2AD 2CH) to from EC to PE when we arrive at the airport.

Can I pay for one of the Upgrade seats using miles (I've only got around 19K) or will they all have to be done together with cash?

THE WIZARD 27 Mar 19 05:58 PM

Unless they have changed their rules no you cant use miles & even if could 19k I'm afraid will go no where. MCO is also the most popular route & the chances of upgrading at the airport are very very slim i'm afraid.

abzorba 27 Mar 19 06:06 PM

Sorry, should've said we're flying to Miami, there's 7 seats left in PE and it's only a one-way upgrade (we're in UC for the return).
But that's all moot anyway if the rules say no.

Orlandoguy 27 Mar 19 07:03 PM

They won’t accept miles at the airport just cold hard cash or card

inkiboo 27 Mar 19 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlandoguy (Post 13753644)

That is not true. If you have a ticket that is upgradable then they will accept miles. I've even seen them accept miles once you are onboard the plane.

Cabbie 27 Mar 19 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlandoguy (Post 13753644)

You can use miles at the airport, I have done it more than once. One thing to remember is that you are liable for the extra taxes and surcharges which must be paid in cash.

Guest 27 Mar 19 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cabbie (Post 13753660)
You can use miles at the airport, I have done it more than once. One thing to remember is that you are liable for the extra taxes and surcharges which must be paid in cash.

All true, the extra taxes are the kicker.

Finding someone who knows how to process the miles upgrade is the big issue though. If you have a gold tier FC membership it's best to just check-in and do the upgrade at the lounge as everyone there knows how to process the miles upgrade

Softy 27 Mar 19 09:52 PM

As above. It is possible but you'd only have enough miles to upgrade 1 to Premium (if you have upgradeable tickets). The extra taxes out of london are over £100 though. You can often get cash prices upgrades for not much more.

abzorba 27 Mar 19 11:27 PM

Thanks all - sounds like it's best just to go for the cash option then.

act1980 28 Mar 19 08:04 AM

Yes you can upgrade with miles at the airport. I upgraded my Dad to UC with Virgin in January this year. He only had to pay the taxes. Get to the airport early to ensure you’re one of the first there, the upgrades go quick!