theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Tourin' Over California 2017 - Day 3 San Francisco / Alcatraz (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1050186)

Birtie 3 Oct 17 01:24 PM

Tourin' Over California 2017 - Day 3 San Francisco / Alcatraz

15 July

After breakfast at the hotel, we walked along Bay Street to Pier 33 for our 9.10 boat to Alcatraz. It was a nice sunny morning so we stood outside on the boat. We had a clear view of Bay Bridge and Alcatraz but the Golden Gate still covered in fog.

Once off the boat we listened to a talk from one of the staff and also William Baker a former inmate who had written a book about his time at Alcatraz. We walked up the hill and then round the prison
using audio headsets.

This was a really good way of doing the 45 mins tour, telling you exactly where to stand and explaining each part of the prison. There were great views of the city when we went outside.

The tour finished in the shop where we bought a signed book by William Baker.

Sailing back the Golden Gate Bridge was still covered in cloud, while everywhere else was sunny and clear. It's weird how it seems to hang around the bridge.

We walked along Fishermans Wharf to get the cable car to Union Square. We had Starbucks while we queued.

We sat at the front with Megan holding off the side.

The cable car ride was great up and down the hills, it lived up to all of my expectations. There was a Sand Francisco bus driver standing next to Megan who was giving us lots of useful information along the route. We had a great view of Bay Bridge as we came down Washington Street.

We got off at the end of the line and went into Victoria's Secret at Union Square.

Next stop was the Cheesecake Factory at Macy's, where you get a fantastic view down over Union Square. It was the first time we had ever been to a Cheesecake Factory, Tracey had banana cream cheesecake, Megan Oreo dream extreme, and I had lemon raspberry cream.

We got a cable car back from the stop near Macy's. We waited quite a while with no cars coming but when they did we got on the second one to come. This one was going to Mason and when we reached the end of the line we were surprised to see how close it was to our hotel.

We went to Denny's for tea but weren't overly impressed with the restaurant and I made a bad choice in pot roast on a cheese melt.

Tracey had a nice looking burger and Megan a sizzling skillet with chicken and rice.

Megan then went back to the room and Tracey and I wandered over to have a quick look at Ghiradelli Square before heading back for our last night in San Francisco.

Day 4 here

Disney Wishing 3 Oct 17 03:21 PM

Another great day and some fab photo's. That burger looks ginormous!