theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=163)
-   -   Canada - May you said, oh yeah! (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1100838)

parisdisneyfan 21 Sep 18 08:17 PM

Canada - May you said, oh yeah!

After a wonderful 2 weeks in Banff in August we knew we wanted to return but I didn't expect dh to say lets go so soon! As I have said before he is a last minuter so booking 8 months out is pretty much unheard of! I work in a school so am also tied to these holidays. Christmas, Feb half term and Easter were out as we didn't want to be caught up in the ski season! So May half term fitted in well, especially as it is our birthdays:grin:

Another reason is that we still have our park pass, we might see some snow even though the ski season has finished and finally it will hopefully be too early for wildfires that were affecting the area this time. We fly out on the 24th of May in the early evening and leave in the evening of 1st June getting back a lunchtime on Sunday 2nd.

We decided that we would base ourselves in Jasper this time as that was one of the other areas that there seemed to be lots to see and do. This also means that if we go a third time we can go straight to Vancouver rather than an east to west road trip and spend a whole holiday there.

So tonight I booked our flights with BA. We picked up the end of their sale and are flying out economy and back PE and we did money plus miles so got both returns for half the price we paid in the summer with Air Canada! We could have done it a bit cheaper with Westjet or Transat from Gatwick but BA had the perfect flight leaving at 18.20 from Heathrow. This fits in with me finishing work at lunchtime (we only live an hour from Heathrow). It arrives at 8pm Calgary time so by the time we are through the immigration etc we can just hit an airport hotel and leave early in the morning meaning we don't waste a days holiday in the air. It is about a 5 1/2 hour drive up to Jasper on good roads which we now know. The weather looks as though it is usually good but can still get snow so we are planning to get an SUV this time. There is also plenty of daylight, from around 6am to 8pm.

Following Jocat and Gunners reports from this summer I have booked The Crimson in Jasper through someone called Skoosh on Trivago and paid for it in ££ so no cc fees;) It is fully cancellable should I see anything better. Still left to do is an airport hotel in Calgary, the car and airport parking here.

Feeling really pleased with myself and have just got to get an itinerary sorted now, as at the moment it is just the 2 Saturdays travelling to and from Jasper.

Melbatb 21 Sep 18 08:50 PM

I love Canada!

We have twice skiied in Banff/Lake Louise in April so the chances of seeing snow are good I would think!

parisdisneyfan 25 Sep 18 02:49 PM

Haven't quite got the idea of a holiday being a long way in the future as just booked the Hotel Clique at Calgary Airport. It is fully refundable at £70 for the one night. It also does a free airport shuttle although we are planning to collect our car when we arrive anyway. Also made a list of all the places we want to see up there and marked them on a map to see how we can combine them. Need to get dh to log on with his Hertz membership to see what car prices/availability is and pretty much all set then! What am I going to do for the next 7 months until I need to get some cash and pack?

Campinggirl 29 Oct 18 03:53 PM

OOh exciting, we loved Jasper, we felt it was more 'authentic' somehow than Banff which is really really touristy.

Looking forward to reading your plans!

jocat 29 Oct 18 04:39 PM

Oh wow Julia, how exciting that you’re going back so soon. :spin: I’d be really interested to see a trippie about the Rockies in the snow, so will keep a look out for yours.

parisdisneyfan 4 Nov 18 05:47 PM

Thank you both, super excited and can't believe dh booking so far in advance:erm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocat (Post 13557928)
Oh wow Julia, how exciting that you’re going back so soon. :spin: I’d be really interested to see a trippie about the Rockies in the snow, so will keep a look out for yours.

They've had snow already around Banff, I've seen it on some webcams! It seems such a short time ago we were there and it was so hot :erm: Lots of info says that Lake Louise may still be part frozen, also really looking forward to driving up the Icefields Parkway with hopefully snow still around it. Bow Valley Parkway will still be a closed in certain parts for animal safety as well but hoping to still see more wildlife.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Campinggirl (Post 13557864)
OOh exciting, we loved Jasper, we felt it was more 'authentic' somehow than Banff which is really really touristy.

Looking forward to reading your plans!

Our one day up there was lovely, it is so much smaller than Banff and looked more down to earth less high price stores more authentic as you said. It reminded me a bit of Aviemore.

pinkrose 5 Nov 18 05:12 PM

Following with great interest as I am currently planning a trip for 25 May 2019.

Gunna 16 Nov 18 11:20 PM

You’ll have an amazing time. Jasper is beautiful, not as busy as Banff we thought and we saw much more wildlife.

Look forward to reading all about it.

parisdisneyfan 18 Nov 18 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunna (Post 13579802)
You’ll have an amazing time. Jasper is beautiful, not as busy as Banff we thought and we saw much more wildlife.

Look forward to reading all about it.

Thanks, I'm going to make sure we visit the eateries you mentioned in your report and (at the moment) we have booked to stay at The Crimson, but may change as it is free and fully cancellable.

Wordsworth 9 Jan 19 09:01 PM

You might be in Jasper the same time we are! We’re recreating a trip we did nearly 10 years ago. Loved Jasper last time but we can’t book the same accommodation this time around so I’m still looking at options.