theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Here Now - Fires (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1057280)

rusty30 6 Dec 17 11:02 PM

Here Now - Fires

We arrived Monday and drove to Santa Monica yesterday. The smoke was so bad a lot of locals had face masks. It triggered an asthma attack for me as the air quality is so poor. The winds did dissipate the smoke as the day went on. We went back to Hollywood and the air was a bit better.

We have a helicopter flight booked tonight and the tour company aren’t sure if they can fly. We await an update.

There is a fire north of Beverly Hills / Brentwood right now so it’s smokier
Here than yesterday.

If you are travelling this week and suffer from asthma or other respiratory conditions, bring plenty of meds with you.

Not spoiling our trip (currently in the Cheesecake Factory) but it’s heartbreaking seeing people’s homes on fire and the destruction it’s causing here.

Mexy02 6 Dec 17 11:09 PM

My friend and family live out there and it’s terrible to see, they’ve just posted a video of the freeway and it’s shocking to watch it just burn . Praying it stays away from them.

rusty30 7 Dec 17 04:23 AM

Well the pilot advised us to pick another day for our flight. The winds and smoke are just too bad. There seem to be a number of small fires in the mountains as well as the bigger ones. The air quality in Burbank was terrible.

We are back in Hollywood tonight - it’s fine here but watching the news it’s just terrible in the affected areas. High winds are expected tonight which will make the fires worse. Hoping people stay safe.

TinkTatoo 7 Dec 17 07:57 AM

We have friends in Aliso Viejo and they've just been issued fire warnings, she said the Santa Ana winds are making it worse!

Aims 7 Dec 17 04:50 PM

I'm in San Diego county and we are under an extreme fire weather warning through the weekend, like much of southern CA is. They are warning us that today and tomorrow will be the most dangerous days, because the winds are supposed to be the worst over this time. People's nerves are on edge here, for sure. On top of all this, we have had four small earthquakes in San Diego county over the last 24 hours (I only felt the initial, larger 4.0 quake). It's been a weird December, so far! It's very unusual for these Santa Ana winds and brushfires to be happening this late in the year.

Stay safe, rusty30, and anyone else who may be arriving in the middle of all this. Those of you who have friends and family out here, I hope they are all ok. I have some family near Ventura, so I've been keeping in constant contact with them.

tocpe321 7 Dec 17 05:44 PM

rusty30, Amy and all iut there as residents or tourists. Stay Safe!

Aims 7 Dec 17 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tocpe321 (Post 12970302)
rusty30, Amy and all iut there as residents or tourists. Stay Safe!

Thank you! :smile:

Harry 8 Dec 17 03:05 PM

Just been reading about the race horse stables down san Diego that just been burnt down to the ground... at least 20 thoroughbreds dead... horrific stuff. We had fires up the PCH1 last year but nothing to this extent... my heart goes out to everyone who this effects