theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   How would i destroy a hot tub for disposal? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1158869)

abiknox 24 Jan 20 10:47 AM

How would i destroy a hot tub for disposal?

A very strage question for the Dibb I know but im looking for any advice as to how I would destroy an enormous hot tub. The people who owned our house before us had it installed and built a brick building around it so there is no way we can get ot out in one piece. I think the only way to get rid of it is to cut it into pieces with an electric saw maybe but i dont know what i need to buy to do the job. Are there any companies that would take on this sort of work for me?

soooexcited! 24 Jan 20 10:57 AM

Do you need to keep the building? Just wondering if it may be cheaper and more practical to pull the building down and put the hot tub for sale on gumtree. Buyer collects.

the_weird_one 24 Jan 20 11:17 AM

The best tool for the job would be a Reciprocating saw with wrecker blades - quick and fun but produce a lot of fiberglass dust so you'd need FFP3 filter grade face masks and googles.

You'd also need to make sure its disconnected from water source and power before starting any work.

tim17 24 Jan 20 01:13 PM

I used an angle grinder with a masonry disc to cut one up. Smelly and messy so wear protective mask and glasses.

abiknox 24 Jan 20 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soooexcited! (Post 14255941)
Do you need to keep the building? Just wondering if it may be cheaper and more practical to pull the building down and put the hot tub for sale on gumtree. Buyer collects.

Yes, the building is beautiful and the hot tub broken so its not worth trying to get it out in ome piece.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_weird_one (Post 14255970)
The best tool for the job would be a Reciprocating saw with wrecker blades - quick and fun but produce a lot of fiberglass dust so you'd need FFP3 filter grade face masks and googles.

You'd also need to make sure its disconnected from water source and power before starting any work.

I have an electrician coming to properly disconnect it before I start so it will be safe. Thank you for the information regarding masks ect. I knew i would need something so thats really helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim17 (Post 14256175)
I used an angle grinder with a masonry disc to cut one up. Smelly and messy so wear protective mask and glasses.

Thanks for the info! Glad to hear Im not taking in an impossible task!

abiknox 20 Feb 20 04:58 PM

Just an update on this thread! I have managed to destroy the hot tub! It wasn't quick or easy but it's done :)

Nesbits 20 Feb 20 11:21 PM

Well done Abi. Looks messy, rather you than me 😂

EssexSue 21 Feb 20 11:32 AM

Aw look at its little face in the second picture.