theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Photo, Video & Vlogs (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   To DSLR or Not (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1151706)

cal999golf 4 Nov 19 12:34 PM

Take it. Don't forget it's your holiday too and if its something you enjoy doing, do it.

You don't have to take it with you every day either.

I'd also recommend investing in a waterproof action camera for the water parks too. It doesn't have to be a go pro either. My sjcam does just as good a job for a fraction of the cost.

YorkshireT 4 Nov 19 12:55 PM

I’ve got a Lumix G9 Micro four thirds. A lot lighter than a DSLR even though it’s physically not that much smaller, and the lenses are very light. Just bought a Lowpro Fastpack 250 as I take a rucksack into the parks anyway and this has a section for my camera and a separate top bit for sandwiches, drinks etc totally separate to the camera bit. I also put my GoPro Hero 7 Black in there.

caj 4 Nov 19 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASCollins (Post 14158367)
One note I would add is to take a LOT of memory. If you are behind the lens capturing magic then that's awesome but if you are sat trying to review pictures to free up space then that is not cool.
I leave in 5 days for 2 weeks and am taking 592GB in total (and I'm still worried it's not enough!).

Take it as multiple cards though, just in case of corruption. I also back up every evening usually. Last trip I dodnt take a mechanism for this and was twitchy!

ASCollins 4 Nov 19 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caj (Post 14158573)
Take it as multiple cards though, just in case of corruption. I also back up every evening usually. Last trip I dodnt take a mechanism for this and was twitchy!

Yes it's split across many, many cards!

How are you backing up? I don't have a laptop so won't have that as an option.

YorkshireT 4 Nov 19 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASCollins (Post 14158617)
Yes it's split across many, many cards!

How are you backing up? I don't have a laptop so won't have that as an option.

You can buy a portable hard drive with a sd card reader on Amazon. Look for 'My Passport SSD'. You can get it up to 2 terrabytes.

Stitch & Smudge 4 Nov 19 03:34 PM

I take a Sony bridge camera. 100x zoom but without the faff of carrying around lenses. I don’t tend to take it to the parks, more just for out and about/capturing wildlife etc.

cambsno 13 Nov 19 01:43 PM

I took a DSLR on first trip. On next 2 trips I just took my Fuji X100T and then the newer X100F with me - pocket (only just) size, DSLR quality and while its a fixed 35mm lens, it was fine in most situations - I left my Nikon D750 and 2.8 glass at home!

BucksBugsy 13 Nov 19 02:23 PM

To me it's a question of quality over convenience.

Last visit i relied on my mobile (Samsung s10+) for photo shots and whilst it was good there isn't much zoom capability.

I think next time I would consider talking a camera which can do decent stills and video (and then moan about the audio being crap)

For backups i took a WD wireless network drive which you can insert the memory card into to do backups which saves carrying a laptop with you.

I also took a gopro 6 and 7 with me for action shots but they are expensive.