theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Photo, Video & Vlogs (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   To DSLR or Not (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1151706)

Beth_Disney 13 Nov 19 02:29 PM

We take ours but don't take it out every day. I do prefer the quality of the photographs to my phone but a phone is much more convenient.

There will be some stunning scenery/sunsets/sunrises/fireworks and as photography is one of your hobbies I expect you'll enjoy trying to experiment with the different settings on your camera to get a great shot.

caj 14 Nov 19 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASCollins (Post 14158617)
Yes it's split across many, many cards!

How are you backing up? I don't have a laptop so won't have that as an option.

DH took one of these gizmos... WD wireless network drive... but I switched over it and truth be told didnt 100% trust it (not Dh, the black box). I'm wondering if it was the lack of lockable at backup that concerned me? Not sure. We got home and sd card photos were copied to pc while the car was being unloaded!

cornishfrogboy 14 Nov 19 08:50 AM

We take our 77D, along with just one lens, a good underwater and general camera (Olympus TG4 in a pouch on my belt loop. .. and of course our phones.

We multi centre and use the DSLR for cities, museums etc. We use the TG4 for parks, beach and Discovery Cove. We use phones for snaps.

We back up to IPad every evening and don’t wipe the cards either.

YorkshireT 14 Nov 19 09:19 AM

Just bought a DJI Ronin SC gimbal for my next trip. Had a bit of a play last night. Amazing technology and improves the footage no end. I'll have a few 360 degree roll shots now and smooth as silk footage. The G9 has brilliant stabilisation but can't match a proper gimbal.
I also back up to a 256gb iPad with card reader and have 2tb icloud.
Just need to upgrade the GoPro Hero 7 black to an 8, get a drone, and get the Lumix 12-35 f 2.4 and I'm all set, unfortunately Mrs YT would have my guts for garters.

BucksBugsy 14 Nov 19 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YorkshireT (Post 14171651)
Just bought a DJI Ronin SC gimbal for my next trip. Had a bit of a play last night. Amazing technology and improves the footage no end. I'll have a few 360 degree roll shots now and smooth as silk footage. The G9 has brilliant stabilisation but can't match a proper gimbal.
I also back up to a 256gb iPad with card reader and have 2tb icloud.
Just need to upgrade the GoPro Hero 7 black to an 8, get a drone, and get the Lumix 12-35 f 2.4 and I'm all set, unfortunately Mrs YT would have my guts for garters.

I like your comment about gymbal stabilisation. Sure, I have a hero 7 with built in stabilisation but it costs in terms of lost resolution. Obviously with a gymbal you dont lose any resolution but it does make for a slightly more bulky solution

Decisions, decisions!

YorkshireT 14 Nov 19 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy (Post 14171662)
I like your comment about gymbal stabilisation. Sure, I have a hero 7 with built in stabilisation but it costs in terms of lost resolution. Obviously with a gymbal you dont lose any resolution but it does make for a slightly more bulky solution

Decisions, decisions!

I got the Ronin SC for 275 quid. Its amazing from what ive seen so far and breaks down small as the grip detaches from the top bit, so I can get it in my rucksack with my other gear. But when I go to the parks I may strap it into the tripod holder on the side of the ricksack. I did some test footage on it last night in the office- wow what a difference.
You could get away with a much smaller and cheaper one depending on your camera. The DJI stuff is amazing quality- what a company that is. I want the Mavic Mini drone.
The other choice for my weight of camera is the Weebil S which is a bit smaller than the Ronin SC but doesn't break down. Its 350+ though cheapest price which made the Ronin SC the best choice for me having a mirrorless. If you have a full SLR is get the Weebill S as it has a higher payload.
I have GoPro 7 black myself and it's excellent. The stabilisation on the new 8 though is even better.

braby 14 Nov 19 03:05 PM

I always take a dslr with me, I tried a couple of years ago to just use my phone and my partners compact camera but hated the photo's when i got home.

As i didn't want to carry all of the weight around all day I got hold of a second hand Canon 200D with a 18-135 lens, was using a 7d MKII with an asortment of Canon L series lenses. Whilst the quality doesn't quite match when looked at full size with a bit of tweeking in post processing it pretty close.

Perhaps the best thing I did though was I brought a Peak Design Capture clip, this allows me to clip my camera to my rucksack without having to carry the weight around my neck all day, much easier for the shoulders to take the weight plus the camera is always out and ready should I need it for a quick picture.