theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Trip Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   This is a serious question! (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1158627)

Disney_time 22 Jan 20 10:55 AM

This is a serious question!

And no, my account has not been hacked by Mickey House.

Do Dibbers take their electric toothbrushes on holiday?

I'm a recent convert to an electric toothbrush and DH has had one for years. We've never taken them on holiday as we have visions of them going off buzzing in the suitcase ;) and our precious stuff being destroyed in a controlled explosion.

I know we could take them in hand luggage, but I am trying to cut down the amount of stuff that I schlep ahout the airport.

So what do Dibbers do?

DonnyDuck 22 Jan 20 10:56 AM

Yes, we take ours on holiday but we have travel cases for them to stop them going off in the suitcase.

chmurf 22 Jan 20 11:10 AM

we do

but first of all, it depends on how your toothbrush runs

if it's off batteries, then no issue

if you have one with a mains charger, then it might be a problem

we have Oral-B electric toothbrushes, that charge up on an induction charger (little round pod you stand the toothbrush on)

those induction chargers are only rated for 220v-50Hz (europe, UK)

The US run on 110v-60Hz so in the best of scenarios your brush won't charge, and in the worst scenario it will die in a cloud of smoke ...

the solution we have opted for is, on one trip, to fully charge the brushes before we go, then go to a walmart and buy a new toothbrush with the US adapter included
the brush itself will charge on any charger (UK, EU, US) but we now only take the US charger with us when we go. Rotating between the 3 of us is enough with one charger.

so we now only take the toothbrushes and one charger (the US one)

now, if yours operate on batteries, I've just written all of this for nothing :)

Disney_time 22 Jan 20 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chmurf (Post 14252878)
we do

now, if yours operate on batteries, I've just written all of this for nothing :)

Ha ha, no you haven't it's the oral-b ones we have too!

vampiress88 22 Jan 20 12:00 PM

No we buy disposable ones for all4 of us for holiday even though we all have the oral b ones at home. Just for convenience really so I can throw them when we leave.

megaflyer 22 Jan 20 12:01 PM

Yes - have oral B one and has them for years . They charge fine in US too - mine is plies in shave socket in mr bathroom here and I leave it plugged in bathroom in US and it’s fine

chrisxal 22 Jan 20 12:06 PM

No we leave our very expensive ones at home and I buy cheap manual ones that we throw away afterwards. Mainly as I like to keep the weight of cases to an absolute minimum so I can bring more stuff back.

Vinniecat 22 Jan 20 12:07 PM

We leave our electric ones at home and take manual ones on holiday. We tend to do road trips and somehow it just seems easier.

Omega1 22 Jan 20 12:42 PM

Yes, we take our Sonicare ones. They go in their plastic travel cases so no chance of going off. My teeth never seem clean using a traditional toothbrush.

Libby29 22 Jan 20 12:45 PM

Hubby takes his and I take my top brush we just use the same electronic part if that makes sense. 😁
It’s a Phillips toothbrush 😉