theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Another 3 Mobile question! (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1134469)

Marilou 25 Jun 19 09:10 PM

Another 3 Mobile question!

Just a quickie for all the experts.

Gonna buy PAYG 3 sims but just wanted some expert advice on how much data to go for if I plan to use google maps on my phone? Will the 12GB data be enough or shall I just go the whole hog and get the unlimited for £35?

Thoughts and ideas would be very welcome :spin:

Mexy02 25 Jun 19 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilou (Post 13921637)
Just a quickie for all the experts.

Gonna buy PAYG 3 sims but just wanted some expert advice on how much data to go for if I plan to use google maps on my phone? Will the 12GB data be enough or shall I just go the whole hog and get the unlimited for £35?

Thoughts and ideas would be very welcome :spin:

No point buying £35 as 12gb is the max even in unlimited as it’s capped ( so we found out in the small print and on here) I’ve bought ds 12gb and he hasn’t even used 1yet . Used it all the time as well . I’d say 5gb max is more than enough .

Ps order the free sim , set up account then add top up .

MOONCHESTER 25 Jun 19 09:21 PM

Been on a 12gb contract with 3 for a couple of years, drive everyday use Google maps all the time, it would be a shock if I used more than 5gb all month that includes browsing.

Marilou 25 Jun 19 09:25 PM

Ah fab, that's really great to know... thanks Mexy! And yep, just ordered the free sims :-D

Presume we can pop the new sim in, make sure data roaming is on, make a call over here and then just remove it until we're airborne? Just in case I need to be contacted on my old number whilst still at airport (I know, I'm sad! )

M x

stetash 25 Jun 19 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilou (Post 13921680)
Ah fab, that's really great to know... thanks Mexy! And yep, just ordered the free sims :-D

Presume we can pop the new sim in, make sure data roaming is on, make a call over here and then just remove it until we're airborne? Just in case I need to be contacted on my old number whilst still at airport (I know, I'm sad! )

M x

First and second times I just put the 3 sim in and it was fine, last year I put it in and although I had a US carrier to make calls I had no data and had to contact them on live chat via WiFi to activate the sim.

Marilou 25 Jun 19 09:56 PM

Had you activated it here in UK first stetash?

Mexy02 25 Jun 19 10:01 PM

We put it in an older iPhone that was unlocked . Put it in here and it’s worked great . Just kept it in airplane mode until he got to Sydney . I’m going to retop it up in oct when we go out to Florida .

colin39 25 Jun 19 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilou (Post 13921785)
Had you activated it here in UK first stetash?

Yes yes

Rachhh 25 Jun 19 10:13 PM

I went on a 2 week road trip in Australia earlier this year using google maps all day every day and still only used about 3gb.

Marilou 25 Jun 19 10:17 PM

Ahh that’s pants then!