theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   It's The Greatest Hits Tour August 2018 - Pre-Trip Report (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1069016)

moosha 6 Mar 18 04:06 PM

It's The Greatest Hits Tour August 2018 - Pre-Trip Report

It’s the Greatest Hits Tour - Pre-trip Report

Welcome along to Florida trip report number five. Yes I know number four is not finished as yet, but as we’re now past ADR day for the 2018 trip, I couldn’t wait any longer to get started. Plus it seems like so long ago now that we started booking this holiday, I’m in danger of forgetting what we have booked and any accompanying long-winded booking / planning stories to bore you all with :blush:.

Quick introductions because, well this will be my eighth trip report (two NY ones as well at the Florida ones) and hopefully you will know us by now, but if not, we are:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4749/...3ae3d75dac.jpg

Me, Michelle, 39, planner and control-freak, lover of all things WDW and also Florida / US holidays in general. I will be turning 40 a few weeks after we get back from this year’s holiday so I’m treating this trip as my birthday present and therefore having even more of the final say over what we do than usual ;).

DH, Mat, 41, has been beaten over the head with Disney and Florida for the past 17 years since we got married there and is now pretty much as big a fan as me. Not involved in the planning through choice (his and mine) besides me giving him the occasional multiple choice question to answer (eg restaurant options).

DD1, Seren, will be 12 when we go. Geek, Disney lover (especially Stitch), Harry Potter fan, now displaying bouts of alarmingly teenage behaviour but still a joy at least half the time. Has been lucky enough to spend both her eighth and eleventh birthdays at Magic Kingdom and will have to get used to me being the one with the birthday badge this time :).

DD2, Freya, 10, our little ray of sunshine and very much a free spirit. Most stubborn and determined person I have ever known, and also the sweetest and most caring. Disney (especially Marie) and massive Harry Potter lover.

The girls and I in Hogsmeade, 2015:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5764/...1006775263.jpg

This will be our fifth trip as a family (first was is 2012). Mat and I also got married at WDW in 2001 (his first Florida holiday) and I also went at least six times as a child / teenager (first trip was in 1988 I believe.)

Here's me with two tiny children :cry: on our first family trip in 2012:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8471/...45e35191a0.jpg

On our wedding day with the Wedding Pavilion in the background (where we got married) :

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7059/...8cb4530ed3.jpg

So the major difference repeat report readers may notice is that this year’s holiday will be taking place in August rather than our usual April to May. Gulp. :omg: With Seren now at secondary grammar school, her Easter holidays are shorter than at her previous prep school where she had three weeks off. There’s absolutely no way they’d authorise term time absence (they’re fussy about her missing 20 minutes of lessons every week for a school organised guitar lesson), not that we’d seriously consider taking her out of school now she’s at high school anyway. In the past we would go slightly after the general school Easter holidays as the girls’ holidays ran a little later, which benefited us both cost and crowds wise (Spring Break is usually tailing off too). Taking them out of school for a few extra days had been no problem then. Now that wasn’t feasible anymore, we knew we had to bite the bullet and go in the summer holidays instead. I followed the ‘last two weeks of August are quieter’ advice on the Dibb and chose the second half of the school holidays. However, I decided we should do three weeks because a) the heat and probable extra rain may slow our plans down a bit and b) if it’s busier than we’re used to, we’re going to need longer to get everything done anyway.

One upside of going in August is that we’re going to be there for the first few Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween parties :D. When I read in Stephanie’s (Dixonsontour) report that they’d been to a Halloween party in August last year - the first time it dawned on me that we’d be there for the Halloween season, because let’s be fair, we’re going two months before Halloween - I actually let out an audible squeak of excitement, despite being home alone at the time. I’ve always wanted to visit Disney World at both Halloween and Christmas, but with school aged children, I figured that wouldn’t be an option until...ooh, at least 2026 when Freya starts university :erm:. Now that a rough idea of party dates is out there based on the park hours, I’ve factored one of the August parties into our plans and can’t wait until the tickets go on sale.

Even before our Easter 2017 trip, we knew we would be returning in 2018 one more time (for now) before having at least a year away from Florida to head to the West Coast. By the beginning of April 2017 we knew we would be visiting in August 2018. When free dining was released around that time, I panicked and decided we had to make a decision on our main Disney hotel. This was a few weeks before our 2017 trip and it was a bit tricky to make a decision for ‘next year’ without yet having been on ‘this year’s’ holiday. We had talked about doing another multi hotel trip, and were really keen to do part of the trip with free dining (we’ve paid OOP for our Disney meals on our last two trips and it can be pretty painful :(.)

I had the idea that we would book 10 days at our ‘main’ hotel with free dining and then add on some time at Universal beforehand and maybe an extra Disney hotel afterwards for a final few days. We very quickly narrowed down our choice of ‘main’ hotel to the Yacht Club and Beach Club. We love the Boardwalk area and our first Disney holiday as a family was at the Yacht Club in 2012. We absolutely loved our time there, and we have stayed at other Disney hotels since, but the Yacht Club feels like our Disney home. The fact that the Yacht Club has been more recently refurbished than the Beach Club was the cherry on the cake that made us pick YC over BC. So, booking the Yacht Club at the beginning of April was the first piece of the puzzle and indeed, the first of our ‘Greatest Hits.’ Here are the girls outside the Yacht Club in 2012:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8334/...d97cdefe46.jpg

And with the beautiful hotel in the background in 2017:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4165/...3a4e133e05.jpg

I was really pleased to get the Yacht Club booked (woods or garden view room) with free dining plan, 14 day tickets and free $200 gift card. Once that was all done, we were able to concentrate on our upcoming trip, and knew that experiencing the holiday would help us shape the rest of the trip. While we were there, we decided the following:

We would definitely return to the Hard Rock Hotel in 2018 as we loved our stay there in 2017. So a new entry to our Greatest Hits.

Happy at the Hard Rock, 2017:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4398/...a219b34242.jpg

We were finally committing to the idea we had discussed over and over again on our four trips as a family: returning for a stay at the Contemporary resort where we had spent a chunk of our honeymoon in 2001. Another of our Greatest Hits. Every time we have been back as a family, we have talked about how being able to walk to Magic Kingdom from the hotel is worth its weight in gold. I’m too impatient to rely on the Disney buses, and the whole TTC situation really winds me up too. That five minute stroll to Magic Kingdom from the Contemporary is a much less stressful way to arrive at the park (and get home at the end of the night instead of a long wait for a bus or monorail.) The Contemporary is really what I had in mind when I mentioned adding on a couple of days at another Disney resort after our Yacht Club stay. Because we’re staying there mainly for the location benefit, we don’t need to stay there longer than a couple of days.

Loving California Grill at the Contemporary in 2014:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7762/...d7d947b26b.jpg

And in 2015:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/445/1...3b93129b59.jpg

We loved Disney Springs more than ever in 2017 and really fancied doing what I’ve read about in many a Dibber’s trip report: walking or boating to DS from Saratoga Springs so we can enjoy a few drinks there. So we decided to end the holiday with a couple of nights at SS. Something new for us, but Disney Springs is definitely a Greatest Hit for us.

The girls and I at the dance party in Disney Springs in 2015:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4659/...46c2aea6de.jpg

During a perfect day at Disney Springs in 2017 (note the cocktail in hand, of course ;)) :

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4714/...f85aec657e.jpg

Also 2017:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4615/...4ec4d24641.jpg

When we got back from the 2017 trip, we booked three nights at the Hard Rock before our Yacht Club stay and then two nights at the Contemporary after YC (Garden Wing...so much cheaper than the Tower) and the last two nights of the trip at Saratoga Springs. With SS being DVC it wasn’t a confirmed booking straight away, but we received confirmation at 11 months out that all was good with the booking.

(Photo from google) :

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4771/...94e77b5495.jpg

I had fancied doing the Contemporary stay before going to the Yacht Club, but I hadn’t realised that by booking the Disney hotel, park tickets and dining plan all together, the park tickets couldn’t be activated until we checked into the hotel booking attached to the package. So even though we were staying at the Yacht Club for 10 days and had 14 day tickets, those extra four days had to be used after the YC stay rather than before.

We were backwards and forwards for a few weeks trying to decide what to do at the very beginning of the trip. We couldn’t decide whether to begin with a few days at the beach which we all quite fancied, or a few days chilling in Orlando. In the end, we couldn’t find a hotel we liked enough at any of the beach resorts we fancied (one was Clearwater, I can’t remember where the other one was), and we decided that we’ve had some lovely days in Orlando just chilling round the pool, having nice meals and cocktails, popping to Disney Springs or mini golf etc. We’re not really beach people anyway either. So the plan was to spend the first four days doing those things. This is Mat during one of our chill-out days at Cabana Bay in 2014:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5574/...078366a2f5.jpg

And the girls after enjoying some mini golf in 2014:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2948/...4c63b7688e.jpg

I really fancied testing out the brand new Aventura hotel and I knew we’d be happiest staying at Universal on our four day chill-out as that’s where we’ve been based when we’ve had park-free stretches before (another Greatest Hit.) I was so excited about staying at the newest Universal hotel only 11 days after opening, and I got a really good rate on an upgraded room, including $50 per night to spend on food and beverages.

(Photo from google) :

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4651/...fe85fd724c.jpg

I had booked Aventura on 1st June, and was really looking forward to staying there. Then Hurricane Irma hit in September and a few weeks later, I saw a blog post from one of the Orlando theme park pages mentioning that construction had been slowed down by hurricane damage. They were now quoting an opening date of 16th August rather than 1st August. Our booking was 11th - 15th August. For a few weeks, I didn’t hear anything from Expedia who I had booked with and discussed the situation on The Dibb. Other people with bookings before 16th had had them cancelled by their tour operator. I booked Sapphire Falls as a back-up as I didn’t want us to get caught short. I was hoping they were just being extra cautious and would move the opening day back again. Unfortunately on 1st November, Expedia sent me an email confirming they needed to cancel the booking :(.

I am still occasionally checking availability for my dates as I really hope they move the opening date back again. I mean, how could they be so sure 10 months before the opening date that they couldn’t catch up on that extra two weeks’ construction? And an unopened hotel isn’t making any money so why not push to get it back on track so that we can stay there. Sapphire Falls looks pretty enough, but I was so much more excited about staying at the brand new Aventura. Keep your fingers crossed for us that the opening date moves and they can accommodate us.

Sapphire Falls (photo from google) :

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4610/...7107e50f32.jpg

Flights...well, booking flights was trickier than it had been on previous trips. When the flights were released in mid-September, I had a mini freak out about how expensive they were, which I think was at least in part down to the weak pound. Looking on The Dibb, it seemed a lot of people were also a bit horrified by the prices. Direct flights to and from Orlando were more than I (and others it seemed) had expected, or what I remembered prices being for Easter last year. Not to worry, because last year we had got a very good deal on a BA flydrive from Miami which also had the added benefit of requiring only a couple of hundred pound deposit. We’ll just do that again, I thought. Except the prices for flydrives to Miami were ridiculous too. And even more expensive than flydrives for Orlando, so totally pointless. A friend of mine had got a pretty good deal for an Orlando flydrive for last Easter, but just like the Miami ones, there definitely didn’t seem to be any cost benefit to booking one for this year.

I played about with it all for a few days, though didn’t have much room to manoeuvre as I couldn’t really change the dates because of our hotel bookings. Not that the few days before or after were working out any cheaper. I also don’t really have the freedom to choose another airline as Mat is a gold Avios member because of how much he travels with work, and so the benefits we get are worth booking with them over other airlines (first class check-in, usually priority security, airport lounge access, collecting lots more points on our flights to book free hotel stays.) Obviously if another airline was offering flights at half the price or something, we’d do it, and I did check the likes of Norwegian (around the same price) and Virgin (ha ha. Made BA’s prices look like a bargain :D).≈

Being massively impatient, I wanted to just get the flights booked. There was no way I could sit tight for weeks or months and see if the prices came down. To me it doesn’t really feel like you’re going on holiday until the flights are booked. I kept checking The Dibb and could see people getting really good prices if they were prepared to fly indirect, but Mat’s really against the hassle of that, and I’m not especially keen. Fort Lauderdale and Tampa had also come up in the planning forum as potential cheaper options. I fiddled around with those and it became apparent they were coming up much cheaper than Orlando and Miami (Miami being more expensive than MCO for our dates so very much out of the equation by this point.) In the end, I found an option that I was happy enough with: flying into Fort Lauderdale and out of Tampa which after deducting some Avios points and therefore saving £440 would be just over £2800 for the four of us (which I’m sure even last year was more along the lines of what you’d expect to pay for the equivalent to and from Orlando). This year I couldn’t get it under £3,200 ish and just wasn’t prepared to pay over £3,000 for flights. It just sounds so much more expensive once it starts with a three (probably because it is.)

By this point I was desperate to get these flights booked as it all looked pretty good to me. The outbound flight is 9.20 am, arriving into Fort Lauderdale by 1.45 pm so feasible to be in Orlando by dinner. Mat hadn’t enjoyed the drive up from Miami last year (which we’d done after a stop over in a Miami hotel) so I didn’t think he’d be up for that drive straight off a flight, but amazingly he was ok with it. All we’re planning to do when we get to Orlando that night is sleep, after eating either en route or once we arrive at Universal, so we can take it easy. The return home from Tampa is fine as obviously Tampa is much closer and the flight home is at 6 pm ish so nice and straightforward.

He was slightly less keen when he found out that the flights are in and out of Gatwick as he’d been hoping for Heathrow which was a definite benefit of flying into Miami. We don’t like Gatwick, especially because it’s so much further from home than Heathrow, but we’ll stay over the night before and it’ll be fine. But by the time he was protesting about Gatwick I had already clicked ‘book’ and paid for the flights.

So the itinerary is:

11th Aug: Fly to Fort Lauderdale, drive to Orlando, check into Sapphire Falls
12th - 15th Aug: Chill out in Orlando at Sapphire Falls
15th - 18th Aug: Check into Hard Rock Hotel. Universal park days
18th - 28th Aug: Yacht Club, Disney parks, dining plan
28th - 30th Aug: Contemporary Resort, Disney parks
30th Aug - 1st Sept: Saratoga Springs. Disney Springs and last park days
1st Sept: Drive to Tampa, fly home

Thanks for reading. Up next, ADRs and plans so far.

smithlane 7 Mar 18 04:18 PM

Wow your plans look amazing! We did 3 weeks last year and I'm afraid its ruined us now for any future holidays, so it's 3 weeks again this year :tongue:. We are going slightly after you this August, not doing any parks but we may see you wandering Disney Springs with a cocktail in hand :pgig:. Looking forward to reading more updates

Goldia 8 Mar 18 07:36 PM

Hey there!

Your wedding photo is gorgeous, I didn't know you got married at WDW, you may have mentioned it but I forgot.

The greatest hits tour sounds fab. I hope you don't find the August weather too bad. I can't compare to other times as we've only ever been in late July and August. It is hot and humid, but then you just have to take it easy and keep hydrated. Try not to be rushing for a FP or ADR it's not as much fun if you arrive all hot and sweaty. The heat isn't so bad though, we do tend to go back to the resort for a mid afternoon swim and a shower. The rain is a pain as it will rain and it will be torrential. You are best off just accepting it and staying inside rather than making a dash for it. Oh and, Seren should watch out for the buffets, eating too much when it's really hot is not a good idea!

I'm looking forward to the rest of your plans. You will arrive at universal as we are ending our wdw stay, so no chance of paths crossing, which is a shame.

LadyDebs86 9 Mar 18 03:06 PM

That wedding photo, wow! #babe :D

Great line-up of hotels, I wish we could go for three weeks :(

Unicorn123 13 Mar 18 08:02 PM

Have binge read all of your Florida reports over the last week and really enjoyed them. Looking forward to hearing further plans for this year’s trip. We are also staying at The Yacht Club in August.

moosha 14 Mar 18 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithlane (Post 13113318)
Wow your plans look amazing! We did 3 weeks last year and I'm afraid its ruined us now for any future holidays, so it's 3 weeks again this year :tongue:. We are going slightly after you this August, not doing any parks but we may see you wandering Disney Springs with a cocktail in hand :pgig:. Looking forward to reading more updates

Thanks for reading and commenting, Alicia :). Yep, I’m concerned we may always want to do three weeks after this. I like the idea of being able to do everything at a slower pace. Just feel bad for leaving the cats for three weeks :(.

Give us a wave if you see us at Disney Springs...I will definitely have a cocktail in hand :D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldia (Post 13115106)
Hey there!

Your wedding photo is gorgeous, I didn't know you got married at WDW, you may have mentioned it but I forgot.

The greatest hits tour sounds fab. I hope you don't find the August weather too bad. I can't compare to other times as we've only ever been in late July and August. It is hot and humid, but then you just have to take it easy and keep hydrated. Try not to be rushing for a FP or ADR it's not as much fun if you arrive all hot and sweaty. The heat isn't so bad though, we do tend to go back to the resort for a mid afternoon swim and a shower. The rain is a pain as it will rain and it will be torrential. You are best off just accepting it and staying inside rather than making a dash for it. Oh and, Seren should watch out for the buffets, eating too much when it's really hot is not a good idea!

I'm looking forward to the rest of your plans. You will arrive at universal as we are ending our wdw stay, so no chance of paths crossing, which is a shame.

Hey Abby, thanks for reading and for the lovely comments as always. Yep, I think I have mentioned getting married at the Wedding Pavilion before. I kept a diary of the trip (obviously before trip reports) and I keep meaning to write some of it up as a trippie but then I always have another report to write :blush:. Getting married at Disney was much more simple back then than it is now so I thought people might find our experience interesting.

Thank you so much for the tips on visiting in August. I think going in with our eyes open will help us avoid pitfalls and disappointment at not being able to get things done as quickly, or if the rain gets in the way. Having three weeks will definitely help. And yes, will have to watch Seren and those buffets in the heat after last year :omg::(.

What a shame that our paths won’t cross. I must get over to your pre-trip and see what you have planned. Trying to get up to date on my reports before I enjoy everyone else’s :D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyDebs86 (Post 13116094)
That wedding photo, wow! #babe :D

Great line-up of hotels, I wish we could go for three weeks :(

Aaw, thanks. I was so young :cry:. And I did put myself through eight months of daily gym sessions and weight watchers before the wedding :blush: :d:.

Really excited about all our hotels, and doing things at a slower pace as we have three weeks. I’m sure you’ll get a three week trip at some point :).

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unicorn123 (Post 13122755)
Have binge read all of your Florida reports over the last week and really enjoyed them. Looking forward to hearing further plans for this year’s trip. We are also staying at The Yacht Club in August.

Wow, that must have taken an age :d: :erm:. Thanks so much for persevering with all the old reports and for commenting on this one :).

Give us a wave if you see us at the Yacht Club or on your travels :D.

KittyBlackDog 14 Mar 18 06:28 PM

So excited you’ll be going in August. The weather will be very different, both hot and wet!

I’m sure you will love having 3 weeks to play around and take some extra time to relax/rest. We noticed the heat/rain difference having previously only gone in February, October or November before. I loved it but DD and DH struggled with the heat a little (but not enough to stop us going back in August). There is a lot of great advice (most, if not all of it, you already know) but my top 3 for August are...

1. Make use of the aircon in the shops when you’re walking through any of the parks, even when you think you don’t need it (DD/DH didn’t but I think that is what really helped me manage the heat successfully)
2. always have your ponchos (regardless of the forecast),
3. Do split your days in to 3 separate parts eg, morning, afternoon and evening with different activities for each eg. park, hotel/shopping, pool/fireworks etc). It helps us manage any fatigue in the heat. We don’t do more than 2 sessions a day in a park.

You’ll come home and probably still want to have stayed longer!:pgig:

I’ve loved reading all your reports and have been dipping in and out every time I get 10minutes to myself. I’m off to make a cuppa to catch up on your current report. Love them!

TFS

halloweenbaby2 15 Mar 18 08:30 PM

Sounds great.
Our dates are similar but we are flying into Tampa and having 5 days at Madeira Beach, then up to OKW for 11 days then onto Royal Pacific at Universal for 4 days then flying home from MCO.
Really want to do a pre TR & TR this time but I keep putting it off as I just don't know where to start:confused2

EllieP 15 Mar 18 11:12 PM

WE have done a role reversal as we usually go in August but are doing May this year. 62 days can’t wait!
We can only do 2 weeks this year but am really gutted as we went for 4 weeks in 2016 and absolutely loved it. So it’s 4 weeks again in 2019 for my big 40th 🙂
Looking forward to hearing more. We usually stay in Royal Pacific in Universal but may try Hard Rock next year. What’s it like?

collybird 17 Mar 18 08:58 PM

Eek I am excited that the Greatest Hits is finally happening. I am especially thrilled that you are finally taking the girls to the Contemporary; I am surprised to hear you eventually compromised on a Tower Room though!

What a shame about Aventura, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

We were shocked at flight prices too, 2019's haven't shown any improvement unfortunately.