theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Car Hire & Transportation (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Avis car hire and Tolls? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1189837)

nursetina 27 Feb 21 06:57 PM

Avis car hire and Tolls?

I'm after some advice from all you knowledgeable people please. I've booked a package with BA for December 21 (desperately hoping it goes ahead) the car hire is th Avis, I've downloaded Avis preferred so can go straight to garage? I know as it's my 1st car hire as a preferred customer I have to speak to someone.
Also advice on tolls please. I'm Pretty sure i will only go trough tolls going to and from MCO to our hotel which is in Lake Beuna Vista. We will then only be using car to travel around the area, not going off anywhere. I don't really want the e tolls so can I opt out of that as they charge a daily fee when I won't be using it? Many thanks :blush:

DFCH-Andy 27 Feb 21 07:04 PM

Budget / Avis use two systems:

$5.95 fee per rental day admin fee capped at $29.75 plus tolls. To activate, just drive straight through the Sunpass lane.

Or

$11.99 per day / $59.95 per week if you opt in at the rental desk to E-Toll Unlimited. This includes tolls.

If you're collecting from MCO, i'd recommend the VisitorTollPass.com system (no admin fee and you only pay for the tolls you use). This is currently suspended due to CV so you wan't register for that just yet.

mick 27 Feb 21 07:07 PM

Quite simply just pay cash. ;)

Your best route from MCO is 417 south and depending on where you leave the 417 you'll probably hit two tolls like this. About $1.75 each back in Nov 2019.

Keep right and pay cash as they will be manned. Ask for change and you'll get a handful of quarters to use at exit ramps like this one which is unmanned. This is exit 2 off the 417.

If you're lucky they may have re-introduced the Visitor Toll Pass by then which is a no-brainer to sign up to

Mick

mick 27 Feb 21 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFCH-Andy (Post 14858241)
Budget / Avis use two systems:

$5.95 fee per rental day admin fee capped at $29.75 plus tolls. To activate, just drive straight through the Sunpass lane.

Or

$11.99 per day / $59.95 per week if you opt in at the rental desk to E-Toll Unlimited. This includes tolls.

If you're collecting from MCO, i'd recommend the VisitorTollPass.com system (no admin fee and you only pay for the tolls you use). This is currently suspended due to CV so you wan't register for that just yet.

Andy

Glad you posted this as would you believe that the Sunpass authorities still haven't updated the Avis toll fees on their web site. I still check the VTP site daily. ;)

Mick

nursetina 27 Feb 21 07:26 PM

Thankyou, I did look to see if the VTP was active yet, I'll keep an eye out for it to come back as that would be the option for me. I also know they are currently not accepting cash as toll booths so hope that will change back before we go. Thanks Andy, there no way I'd benefit from either of those. I'll keep an eye on things and apply for VTP if it becomes available again or opt for cash lanes if that's an option. Thankyou 😊

mick 27 Feb 21 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nursetina (Post 14858282)
Thankyou, I did look to see if the VTP was active yet, I'll keep an eye out for it to come back as that would be the option for me. I also know they are currently not accepting cash as toll booths so hope that will change back before we go. Thanks Andy, there no way I'd benefit from either of those. I'll keep an eye on things and apply for VTP if it becomes available again or opt for cash lanes if that's an option. Thankyou 😊

I'm seriously hoping that things have improved in 272 days time so that the VTP is back. We go 20 days earlier than you and having lost three holidays we do feel moderately confident. :grin:

I'll be signing up to VTP as soon as I see it's up and running again. Used it in Nov 2019 and it was great even if you only use the 417 a couple of times.

Mick

nursetina 27 Feb 21 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 14858290)
I'm seriously hoping that things have improved in 272 days time so that the VTP is back. We go 20 days earlier than you and having lost three holidays we do feel moderately confident. :grin:

Mick

I'm feeling moderately confident too 😊 🤞🤞🤞

I had an amazing vegas/LA/Disneyland holiday cancelled last year, was so gutted. Just really need some positivity as been a trying year for us all.

Gasman66 27 Feb 21 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 14858249)
Quite simply just pay cash. ;)

Your best route from MCO is 417 south and depending on where you leave the 417 you'll probably hit two tolls like this. About $1.75 each back in Nov 2019.

Keep right and pay cash as they will be manned. Ask for change and you'll get a handful of quarters to use at exit ramps like this one which is unmanned. This is exit 2 off the 417.

If you're lucky they may have re-introduced the Visitor Toll Pass by then which is a no-brainer to sign up to

Mick

Ohh how I have missed those pictures...… and the real thing ! still not long to go hopefully...

mick 28 Feb 21 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasman66 (Post 14858585)
Ohh how I have missed those pictures...… and the real thing ! still not long to go hopefully...

The odd thing is that we were due to fly into TPA in April so wouldn't have gone through that toll anyway. :grin: Back to MCO in November and a diary note to sign up to VTP again around October. ;)

Mick

mason1 1 Mar 21 12:47 PM

Don’t forget to link your Avis preferred number with your BA booking. You can call BA to link it for you.