theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ESTA help - middle names (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1121876)

kzrr02 31 Mar 19 06:01 PM

ESTA help - middle names

Hi. So I’ve done my Estas last October for our trip this year and it’s been approved. Now I can’t remember if I filled in middle names and whether it was needed for the application. When i received my confirmation email,
it only shows name and surname.

Will this be a problem if middle names are required?

tspill 31 Mar 19 06:07 PM

I dont think it will be a problem.
Thousands will have traveled to the US with recent ESTAs with no middle name. I suspect the vast majority will be wrong as it isn't at all obvious that middle name is needed.
I haven't heard of anyone being denied travel for this or refused entry.

roop27 31 Mar 19 06:08 PM

I believe when I read my application, it asked for ALL given names that are written on your passport. It might be worthwhile logging in again and checking if you can remember the ID etc.

loves2plan 31 Mar 19 06:11 PM

Dibbers who have travelled since the change was made, without middle names on their ESTAs, have reported back that they didn't have any problems :)

Thorpy 31 Mar 19 06:12 PM

There have been a few threads on this in recent weeks.
I don't think there is a problem if you did the ESTA before the requirement change.
I seem to recall people using "old" ESTA's no problems.
I've not heard of any actual issues with anybody having issues due to a lack of both names. It's more people scared they might hit issues.
Most people that did first name only after the change because they were unaware of the change and were just filling is as per previous ESTAs have been approved as they expected. However the common path seems to be to resubmit with middle names included just to be on the safe side. I can't remember anyone confirming they did first names only after the change, left it as was and confirmed they got in without issue.

If you dig out the old threads or somebody posts links, you can get a better picture as you will undoubtedly pay more attention than I did. My key takeaway was to do ours correctly first time ;)

kzrr02 31 Mar 19 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loves2plan (Post 13759383)
Dibbers who have travelled since the change was made, without middle names on their ESTAs, have reported back that they didn't have any problems :)

When was this change made?

kzrr02 31 Mar 19 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorpy (Post 13759387)
I don't think there is a problem if you did the ESTA before the requirement change.
I've not heard of any actual issues with anybody having issues due to a lack of both names. It's more people scared they might hit issues.
Most people that did first name only after the change because they were unaware of the change and were just filling is as per previous ESTAs have been approved as they expected. However the common path seems to be to resubmit with middle names included just to be on the safe side. I can't remember anyone confirming they did first names only after the change, left it as was and confirmed they got in without issue.

If you dig out the old threads or somebody posts links, you can get a better picture as you will undoubtedly pay more attention than I did. My key takeaway was to do ours correctly first time ;)

I took ages doing ours and I can’t remember if I did or did not do middle names or even if it was asked. I’m pretty sure I would have clicked on the little question mark for more info which does
say middle names are required. It’s not showing on the confirmation though.

Mexy02 31 Mar 19 06:17 PM

It wasn’t in our last application but as it’s coming up to 2 years I’ve just renewed . On a heads up for anyone completing estas It does clearly state on your uk passport given name on top of your forenames.
This is a stock sample photo

loves2plan 31 Mar 19 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorpy (Post 13759387)

Even people who have travelled on new ESTAs without middle names have reported having no problems. Thread here: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...highlight=Esta

teachx 31 Mar 19 06:25 PM

Once again it isn't always as simple as putting your middle name in because it says so. With me being the dutiful person I did exactly that, but no matter how I did it, it would not have it, and kept asking me to correct the mistake and not letting me continue. In the end I deleted my middle name and bingo it let me carry on, so I am certainly going to stress about it. The system doesn't seem to like the name Kenneth lol