theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   DIBB Reporter Photo Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   Quebec City: Spring 2019 - Day 4 The Observatoire (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1125115)

Melbatb 23 Apr 19 12:38 PM

Quebec City: Spring 2019 - Day 4 The Observatoire

It was yet another early start. I woke up about 4 AM and couldn't get back to sleep. I watched a few videos on YouTube and then decided to start getting ready for the day.

Whilst organizing my things for my bag, I looked at my letter from the language school and realized that I needed to be there at 7:30 AM on the first day! It was now 6:30 AM and I still needed to shower and have breakfast. I managed to do this and was out of the door at 7:15 AM and got to the school exactly at 7:30 AM.

I had to register and then had a coffee. In fact, it seemed I didn't need to be there that early as I was only one of two new people starting that day.

I was in the highest level group with three other people. It didn't start so well as the teacher decided we were going to do a mock reading comprehension test. That wasn't really my objective and I think he realized that quite quickly. He was standing in for someone else and didn't perhaps realize that I was only going to be there for a week and would not be taking any exams.

By the end of the lesson, I did learn some things.
The lesson finished at 12 PM and I left with a plan to go up to the observatory.

Before going to the observatory, as it wasn't far from the salad shop of yesterday, I decided to try another salad bowl. This time I had the Thai one. I probably liked the Mexican one more but this was still very tasty and I enjoyed the vegetables.

As there was a Tim Hortons opposite, I took the opportunity to get some more Timbits.

The observatory was just up the road from here. There was quite a large police presence because as it was Earth Day, there was a planned march to the parliament building which was nearby.

It was C$14.75 to get in. The observatory is on the 31st floor of the building.

There weren't very many people and there were some quite interesting facts about Quebec and Quebec City.

The view was excellent. I had chosen to go up today because it was the one day when the forecast was clear.

Here you can see the Plains of Abraham on the river.

I am quite a way from home!

There was certainly a good view of the Château Frontenac.

I even managed to work out where my apartment block was.

This is the parliament building. You can just make out the march around it.

There were also quite a lot of camera men and photographers taking videos and photos of the demonstration.

I headed down after about an hour up there. It was a really interesting place to visit as you got a good overview of the city.

Around the parliament building, there were quite a few demonstrators. It all seemed peaceful. There was one young boy, he could only have been about 10, who was making a speech about his concerns about climate change. I think that someone knows of his age has more impact on the subject. It really is their future we are all playing with.

I walked over towards Château Frontenac, through the Plains of Abraham.

It certainly is the iconic building in Quebec city. Apparently, it is very expensive to stay there.

I then walked to Cathedrale Notre Dame de Quebec.

It was very ornate inside.

And I loved the cloud painting on the ceiling.

By now I was flagging a little. I decided I would walk towards home.

I saw another branch of the ice cream shop. So I decided I would treat myself. This time I had a small' chouchou. Effectively it was a chocolate frappuccino with marshmallows, a biscuit and chocolate sauce. It was very tasty but I hate to think how many calories were in it.

It was about 5:30 PM by the time I got back. I watched a few videos before heading out to Copper Branch which was one of my favorite fast food restaurants in Montreal. They just do vegetarian food.

I ordered a beetroot burger which came on a bun with maple mustard and caramelized onions together with a side of sweet potato cubes. I took it back to the apartment. It was very tasty.

Again I was extremely tired. I think I fell asleep about 8:30 PM.

app 23 Apr 19 12:56 PM

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 23 Apr 19 12:56 PM.

Jake71 23 Apr 19 01:14 PM

You're definitely getting the early nights in Mel, but worth it for the full days you are having.

WileyCoyote 23 Apr 19 06:39 PM

Oh what a great day. The views and the buildings are so lovely . And Timbits and a chouchou.. both of which sounded yum. Glad the class turned out ok after what sounds a dodgy start. You certainly don’t need to worry about calories with all this walking ... Are you having any Poutine while you are there ?

Melbatb 25 Apr 19 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake71 (Post 13799601)
You're definitely getting the early nights in Mel, but worth it for the full days you are having.

You certainly can’t say I am burning the candle at both ends ;)

Melbatb 25 Apr 19 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote (Post 13800229)
Oh what a great day. The views and the buildings are so lovely . And Timbits and a chouchou.. both of which sounded yum. Glad the class turned out ok after what sounds a dodgy start. You certainly don’t need to worry about calories with all this walking ... Are you having any Poutine while you are there ?

The classes have been fine! I am very wary of talking too much as the others are quite quiet!

Poutine has now been tried ;)

DisneyDaffodil 26 Apr 19 01:01 PM

Pleased you made it to class on time, imagine being late on the first day 😂 The chouchou looks delicious, you don’t need to worry about holiday calories, they don’t count I believe 😂 .

The Cathedral is stunning, as are the views over the city from the Observatory

CrispyA 27 Apr 19 07:55 PM

Wow, 7.30 is an early start! Lovely pictures of the city and cathedral and sounds like another good food day!

Melbatb 27 Apr 19 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil (Post 13806967)
Pleased you made it to class on time, imagine being late on the first day 😂 The chouchou looks delicious, you don’t need to worry about holiday calories, they don’t count I believe 😂 .

The Cathedral is stunning, as are the views over the city from the Observatory

If only holiday calories were free ;)

There were certainly some good views and sites today!

Melbatb 27 Apr 19 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrispyA (Post 13810161)
Wow, 7.30 is an early start! Lovely pictures of the city and cathedral and sounds like another good food day!

As I was up, it wasn’t too bad! It was just realising quite late on that I needed to get a move on ;)