theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning Florida (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Aug 2018 Indirect Mia via MCO! (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1057287)

asmidir 7 Dec 17 01:52 AM

Aug 2018 Indirect Mia via MCO!

I've just seen some flights from MAN to MIA with 1 stop ...in MCO!

It would make direct flights for around £430 in Aug 2018

Will they really cancel the return in we don't to the MCO to MIA outward leg?

I noticed this ruling recently:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ne...ght-cancelled/

Do you think that this could mean that we could get a refund if the airline did cancel the return?

Would be amazing if we could do this!

duchy 7 Dec 17 02:05 AM

Yes they will.

lilo82 7 Dec 17 07:27 AM

yes your return tickets would be cancelled

Alices Aunt 7 Dec 17 08:31 AM

Interesting article but the man in questions situation is different to yours and the judge rules his judgment non binding. I think it’s unlikely that you would get a refund if they cancelled you return.

toonarmani 7 Dec 17 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmidir (Post 12969836)
I've just seen some flights from MAN to MIA with 1 stop ...in MCO!

It would make direct flights for around £430 in Aug 2018

Will they really cancel the return in we don't to the MCO to MIA outward leg?

I noticed this ruling recently:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ne...ght-cancelled/

Do you think that this could mean that we could get a refund if the airline did cancel the return?

Would be amazing if we could do this!

General rule is if you miss a leg the rest of the trip is cancelled.

I personally wouldn't take any notice of other cases as I wouldn't want the hassle of having to argue/re-book etc. for the sake of a few quid. In your case the drive up from Miami to Orlando is only a few hours so you're not massively impacted for the potential savings made, or you could even tag a day or two onto your trip and explore Miami before driving up (we're doing that next year for direct Fort Lauderdale outbound flight).

It's different for return journeys where people transfer in London (LGW/LHR) and choose to drop the final leg , it still gets cancelled but they just drive home as they have their luggage, but outbound would be very risky IMO.

chmurf 7 Dec 17 11:05 AM

Remember that, when you find out your inbound flight has been cancelled (and it will be cancelled), you will NEED to book a flight back to the UK, litteraly *on the day*
One way flights can be twice as expensive as a return flight.
So to fly back to the UK, you'll already pay more for that MCO-MAN ticket that whatever you might, possibly, maybe, get refunded.

Currently the MCO-MAN in august, one way, direct, costs $2350 per person (£1750)

And, on top of that, if you're going legal with the airline, and get a ruling for a refund, the airline will have every right to reprice your ticket, and transform it into a ONE WAY DIRECT flight from MAN to MCO.
Currently the one way direct MAN-MCO costs £1375 per person in august, in economy

SO, let's say you don't take that MCO-MIA flight, and let's say you find a judge who rules in your favor, and decides your inbound has to be refunded
you receive £215 (half of the £430 return fare, to make it simple)

but since you're in FL, you'll need to go back to Manchester.
You will need to pay £1700 or more per person just for that MCO - MAN, and there will be no way to claim that money back from anyone.

so your £430 ticket actually turns into a £2000+ per person ticket

and if you're unlucky and the airline gets back at you, you could face the reprice, and end up with a plane trip that would cost you around £3500+ per person.

Anyway you look at it, even if you get the refund for the inbound flight, you'll need to book a flight back to the UK. And that will hurt your wallet much more than getting the proper return flight in the first place.
And, if the refund for the inbound is a remote possibility, the need to pay, out of YOUR pocket, a £1700+ one way flight back the the UK is an absolute certainty

sunny1 7 Dec 17 11:44 AM

if i was me I would take the Miami flight and consider either of the following

a drive to Orlando which is approx. 3-3.5 hours ?

or

look at costs for a internal flight ?

i'm not the brightest apple on the tree but you could find that internal flights up to Orlando are not too bad price wise

macadoo 7 Dec 17 12:36 PM

BA thought we had missed one of our first legs of the journey this year (due to a mess up at Manchester), they DID cancel our return journey.

Fortunately we tried to check in on line on our last night (to find no booking) so was able to sort it after many phone calls.

It's a good price but you will need to take the Mco to Miami leg.

There's some BA/AA flights around the same price via Lhr which are a better option (for our dates anyway).

asmidir 7 Dec 17 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macadoo (Post 12970034)
There's some BA/AA flights around the same price via Lhr which are a better option (for our dates anyway).

Thanks, Dates? :grin:

duchy 7 Dec 17 01:16 PM

Yes you are right, it would be helpful if you posted your dates.