theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   First world problems in M and S! (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1133680)

EssexSue 19 Jun 19 01:39 PM

First world problems in M and S!

I popped into M and S today to get some goodies for our MC in Florida! Obviously I picked up a few extra bits too (as you do), anyway when we got to checkout Cash Only. I looked in my purse and I had exactly £42 in cash. Luckily there was a cash point (a very slow one) so I joined the queue for that, mentally adding up how much I'd spent. Anyway two people in front of me the cash machine went down. I stomped back to the trolley mentally discarding the non essentials to be told the card were now being accepted. So I paid (£56 something) and then remembered I needed a card. I bought said card and went to self pay checkout clasping my £2 coins and it refused to take cash. I pressed for help and waited and waited and waited some more then stomped over to the basket only till and paid.
I remember when M and S had enough staff and they are no cheaper now than they were then!

On a high note the cherries I bought were gorgeous tho. And I recommend the coronation potato salad.

Of course had I only bought what I went for I would have been well able to pay cash in the first place. There's a moral there somewhere!

PS and I forgot to use my Sparks card again.

billbarbara229 19 Jun 19 01:45 PM

Bil went yesterday bought bargains we didnt need indian meal for tea tonight wish he would leave the shopping to me !

Mr Tom Morrow 19 Jun 19 01:45 PM

Our local M & S foodstore has loads of staff. All really nice. I hope they don't make cutbacks as it attracts a lot of the more mature shoppers some of whom need the staff to help them with their shopping and carrying stuff. Not me!

I don't know the last time I ever had any cash on me be it notes or coins:erm:

*jovi_girl* 19 Jun 19 02:04 PM

M&S first world problems for me yesterday... the chocolate petit pains on the bakery counter were over cooked so had to go without lol.

EssexSue 19 Jun 19 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow (Post 13910192)
Our local M & S foodstore has loads of staff. All really nice. I hope they don't make cutbacks as it attracts a lot of the more mature shoppers some of whom need the staff to help them with their shopping and carrying stuff. Not me!

I don't know the last time I ever had any cash on me be it notes or coins:erm:

You've made an interesting point there. This was a traditional store, I usually go to the food stores and they seem to be better staffed. I travelled further and fared worse!

mickey house 19 Jun 19 02:34 PM

Sue, your problem was not as serious as mine, because our local marks closed and we have to travel to Pinner (where Elton John was born), and it is too posh an area for me, so I'm still waiting for marks to start a food delivery service so the posh folk of Pinner don't have to look down at me because I have a tattoo.

EssexSue 19 Jun 19 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickey house (Post 13910264)
Sue, your problem was not as serious as mine, because our local marks closed and we have to travel to Pinner (where Elton John was born), and it is too posh an area for me, so I'm still waiting for marks to start a food delivery service so the posh folk of Pinner don't have to look down at me because I have a tattoo.

I had family in Pinner many years ago. It wasn't Elton John though.

I did go into Hertfordshire today maybe that was the problem.

olgaandcoda 19 Jun 19 02:52 PM

Quote:

And very hairy arms too! ;) I'm sure the local food bank will not look down on you!

PS Our M and S food is very good, plenty of staff to help. Wasabi Peas are reduced to £1 a bag! Lovely cherries! :d:

alp1972 19 Jun 19 04:24 PM

Quote:

:wavey: Pinner is our local as well , I think they let me in as we live here although I do get some funny looks sometime if I pop in without my hair done :confused2

alp1972 19 Jun 19 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssexSue (Post 13910179)
I popped into M and S today to get some goodies for our MC in Florida! Obviously I picked up a few extra bits too (as you do), anyway when we got to checkout Cash Only. I looked in my purse and I had exactly £42 in cash. Luckily there was a cash point (a very slow one) so I joined the queue for that, mentally adding up how much I'd spent. Anyway two people in front of me the cash machine went down. I stomped back to the trolley mentally discarding the non essentials to be told the card were now being accepted. So I paid (£56 something) and then remembered I needed a card. I bought said card and went to self pay checkout clasping my £2 coins and it refused to take cash. I pressed for help and waited and waited and waited some more then stomped over to the basket only till and paid.
I remember when M and S had enough staff and they are no cheaper now than they were then!

On a high note the cherries I bought were gorgeous tho. And I recommend the coronation potato salad.

Of course had I only bought what I went for I would have been well able to pay cash in the first place. There's a moral there somewhere!

PS and I forgot to use my Sparks card again.

I usually have about 20p in my purse just always forget to get cash out !