theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   For anyone with both cats and dogs (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1133709)

*jovi_girl* 19 Jun 19 06:08 PM

For anyone with both cats and dogs

We’ve had our 10 month kitty for about a month now after losing our Rosie a few months ago.
Tomorrow we’re hopefully going to be picking up our new puppy.

But my question is, how do you stop the dog from eating the cats food?
Right now it’s just in a bowl next to her scratch post thing and is left out til it needs refilling.

May sound like a stupid question but we’ve never had a cat and dog at the same time lol

catlady 19 Jun 19 06:10 PM

My cat is fed on the utility worktop! It would be gone in a flash if left on the floor! Maybe get your kitty use to the move now before you collect the puppy?

Raiponce 19 Jun 19 06:11 PM

Haha yes we have to put the cats food upstairs! Our dog never tries to go up the stairs so its the only safe place!

*jovi_girl* 19 Jun 19 06:18 PM

Think this is gonna be a tough one lol

Guest 19 Jun 19 06:24 PM

Cat food is on a shelf, there is no way the dogs would not eat it if it was left on the floor.

jackster14 19 Jun 19 06:24 PM

Up on the utility worktop which I don’t like. but even that is not safe from our staffy x who can jump really high 😂

ROBBOTOO 19 Jun 19 06:29 PM

Is your cat microchipped as you can get microchip feeder bowls now which will only open for the selected chip.

Guest 19 Jun 19 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBBOTOO (Post 13910615)
Is your cat microchipped as you can get microchip feeder bowls now which will only open for the selected chip.

Tried that, didn't work with my pug when he was a puppy and I am sure it wouldn't now. The dog would wait for the cat to release the lid and then push the cat out of the way. And when it was left out and he knew it had food in then he would be very persistent in his attempts to open it. We gave up very quickly.

sam_b 19 Jun 19 07:04 PM

Wow, puppy comes tomorrow ... a bit late to think of this! As others have said, high up is your best bet.
Please be vigilant, cat food will not be good for the pup, it is too protein heavy and rich...at best you will have to deal with sickness and diarrhoea, at worst kidney problems...

Good luck!

britishgirl 19 Jun 19 07:07 PM

we have 2 dogs and 3 cats,the youngest is 11 and oldest is 14,and food is just left on the floor and eaten as they want it,when the bowls are empty I refill them and they may occassionly eat each others food,but there is no fighting or gobbling of food,I was told it wouldnt work but couldnt be bothered separating them all the time so decided to give it a go and it worked,the trick seemed to making sure there is always food out,they only take what they need and leave the rest