theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Guest Services (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Help with buying a laptop (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1139377)

LOU LOU DISNEY 1 Aug 19 09:13 AM

Help with buying a laptop

I’m looking to get my daughter a laptop for her birthday. She’s turning 11 so not looking to spend an arm & a leg! Something within the £200 mark. I have no clue about these sort of things!

novocastrian 1 Aug 19 09:23 AM

have a look on ebuyer

assume its just for browsing/word/email etc not high end video editing etc should be able to get something @£200

as always the higher the numbers the better, a lot of budget laptops have very small flash hard disks which will fill up pretty quick, look for a large hard disk & plenty RAM

HTH

KymmieAKiss 1 Aug 19 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOU LOU DISNEY (Post 13989270)
I’m looking to get my daughter a laptop for her birthday. She’s turning 11 so not looking to spend an arm & a leg! Something within the £200 mark. I have no clue about these sort of things!

Hay!
It would depend mainly what she was using it for. You can get a decent HP Stream laptop for £128 atm in currys. but it is only a 32GB. although you can just buy external hard drives.

Some laptops have hidden costs aswell when it comes to software so be warned. But go in and ask and i'm sure they'll be happy to help :)

LOU LOU DISNEY 1 Aug 19 09:30 AM

Thanks both. I saw that one & an acer aspire 1 but again 2gb ram & 32gb storage. They look nice for a kid too. She’ll want to play games, watch movies, homework & probably browse etc

novocastrian 1 Aug 19 09:32 AM

32Gb is tiny Windows probably eats up fair chunk of that...

LOU LOU DISNEY 1 Aug 19 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novocastrian (Post 13989322)
32Gb is tiny Windows probably eats up fair chunk of that...

That’s what I thought my phone has bigger storage!

Minnie18 1 Aug 19 09:33 AM

I bought a HP stream last year and found it really good that I bought another one.

Mr Tom Morrow 1 Aug 19 09:34 AM

I know very little about Laptops but my Daughter got one for the 8yr old Granddaughter from Argos. Under £200 but there was a promo running for a gift card prior to Xmas .

I think that promo is running again now.:)

Tsoski 1 Aug 19 09:39 AM

I would say you would be worth trying to find a laptop without a solid state drive (SSD, it's what the 32GB will be refering too) as although they are faster they have smaller memory space.

Next year when the laptop is showing signs of slowing down you can always upgrade it with a SSD for a small price to give it a new lease of life and makes it seem "brand new".

Is their a particular reason you think a laptop over a tablet is the right idea? Or even a desktop PC, it's likely you will get more for your money at that price point for a tablet/desktop.

LOU LOU DISNEY 1 Aug 19 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsoski (Post 13989339)
I would say you would be worth trying to find a laptop without a solid state drive (SSD, it's what the 32GB will be refering too) as although they are faster they have smaller memory space.

Next year when the laptop is showing signs of slowing down you can always upgrade it with a SSD for a small price to give it a new lease of life and makes it seem "brand new".

Is their a particular reason you think a laptop over a tablet is the right idea? Or even a desktop PC, it's likely you will get more for your money at that price point for a tablet/desktop.

She has an iPad but just wants a laptop now, so thought to start her off on something cheaper incase it never gets used! We have a desktop but she wants her own laptop!