theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   dog training issues? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1047017)

mandco 13 Sep 17 12:45 PM

dog training issues?

The last couple of months our boy has become really misbehaved its almost as if he got to a year old and all sense went out the window. He won't follow any commands barks constantly over nothing and his recall is non existent. He got out this morning an I had to chase him down the road as he wouldn't come back :omg: honestly at a loss what to do with him We've had dogs before and never had any that acted like this :confused2

Any ideas or suggestions appreaciated

olgaandcoda 13 Sep 17 12:51 PM

He's become a stroppy teenager, go back to basic training with treats. It will pass. Don't give him any leeway, be strong! Threaten a trip to the vets too! He might calm down with the chop! Although I've never had to have any boys done. Just firm handling and training.

MrsChunkyBager 13 Sep 17 03:41 PM

Mine definitely got naughtier at about 14 months, it is the joys of being a teenage dog! Just persevere with your training and be firm about what is and isn't acceptable. We are at 19 months now and he has calmed down again.

toots82 13 Sep 17 04:14 PM

Agree with previous posters. Welcome to the kevin and Perry years!

Nic18076 13 Sep 17 04:17 PM

I agree - he's a doggy teenager. I think the hormones and more assertiveness kick in and they start pushing their luck and testing the boundaries a bit.

Our miniature schnauzer is 6, and when he comes home from the kennels after our holidays he is initially a bit clingy and very tired and hoarse from all the barking and generally being nosy he does at the kennels. After a few days he gets a bit stroppy as he settles back down, and he has to re-learn his place a bit. :)

charley9 13 Sep 17 07:34 PM

We have a springer and went through exactly the same thing, she will be 17 months next week and is now what we wanted, calm in the house, and plays when we want to, but the past siz months have been hard, I thought it would never end. Ypu'll get there, just stick to your guns.

Danex 13 Sep 17 10:30 PM

Oh I'm so glad to read this thread.

We have a 14 month old Maltese and he has been a perfect dog until very recently, he has started barking at nothing, won't listen to our commands and generally thinking he can do what he wants. He was neutured last Friday and I thought he would calm down a bit but so far that hasn't happened, although it's early days yet.

Gryff 13 Sep 17 10:59 PM

Yep,it's back to,basics as theybare just teenagers only thing different teenage boys grunt teenage dogs will,bark,at their own shadow
Our 7 year old Visla is doing the Visla thing he's still a puppy and around 12 willall,of a sudden get,a sensible head our 14 month Frenchie dog got a time out this morning as he was being a right pain with the girls and our Visla Boy who did put him in his place as did our staffie girl

bearandbuzz 14 Sep 17 07:37 AM

Yup, he's a teenager! My current cocker spaniel went backwards with pretty much everything - chewing, pooping and beng damn right disrespectful! The good news is that he's two now and I realised the other month that he'd got an awful lot better since about Easter time. I'd not realised it at first, but looking back I'd say that he's over the worst of it now and can be trusted more.

MissB87 14 Sep 17 07:55 AM

Also breed dependant as those natural instincts kick in!

My mini dachshund was 100% up till around the year mark then recall got worse as hound instincts kicked in. Repetition and consistency is key.

We also have a collar that vibrates (very low) but it's enough to get her nose off the ground and listen then she happily trots back, it's just the getting her out of the 'zone'