theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Trip Reports (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=163)
-   -   Road Trip round New England in the Spring, not the Fall! (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1128478)

anji 12 May 19 11:12 PM

Road Trip round New England in the Spring, not the Fall!

Road Trip round New England in the Spring, not the Fall!
Tomorrow is the day as last! Started booking things up in July last year, so it's been a long time in coming.

We decided to go for the Spring instead of the Fall - less people, less costs, green leaves and spring flowers.

Here's the plan -

Flying Norwegian from Gatwick to Boston on a Dreamliner. I've been very impressed so far with them and our neighbour uses them all the time. Pick up the car and then overnight at Danvers, about 25 miles north of Boston.

Next day will make an early start (thanks time difference!) and work our way up the coast, calling in at Portsmouth, Ogunquit, Kennebunkport and Portland. Overnight in Topsham, where hopefully there will be the resident beavers at the bottom of the garden (and chickens!).

North again to Bar Harbour, where we are staying for 2 nights. Intend doing the bus tour to get our bearings, driving the other roads, doing a ghost walk in the evening and visiting the pizza cinema the other night.

North Conway is our furthest drive, calling in at Bangor, Maine as I have to see Stephen King's house! We're staying 3 nights at North Conway. We're goint up Mount Washington, Franconia Notch, driving the Kanc highway and whatever else we can fit in!

We're also on the lookout for a Game of Thrones final episode party/viewing somewhere on Sunday night. Otherwise it's hopefully NOWtv on the tablet as I've picked about the only place which doesn't even have TV in the room, let along HBO. I've even emailed other places, but no HBO!

Stowe is our next stop and we'll be visiting the Von Trapp house there.

Then we're driving south through the Green Mountains by way of Ben & Jerry's factory to Bennington. There's a tower there to go up which looks interesting too.

Another longish drive the following day down to Mystic in Connecticut. We fancy a trip to Mystic Pizza, although we've not seen the movie.

Quick drive through Rhode Island, stopping at Newport, on our way to Hyannis, Cape Cod. Here we're spending 4 nights. We want to go on the ferry to Martha's Vineyard and possibly another trip to Nantucket. Definitely a drive to Provincetown (and another tower!) and the beaches. Not going in the sea in case Jaws gets me!

Final journey is via Plymouth and Plimouth Plantation to give the car back at Boston Airport. We're spending 3 nights in Boston but don't need the car. This will be my 3rd time there and Will's 2nd. We're staying at the Boxer Hotel as it has great reviews and won't break the bank. We have tickets booked to see the Red Sox at Fenway Park. I'd like to go to the Kennedy Museum too and properly explore the areas we've not visited before.

So the cases are packed, our cat is now hating us at the cattery and we're off in the morning - after watching Game of Thrones at a friend's house for breakfast!

Wismgari 12 May 19 11:25 PM

Found it :D

Sounds like an amazing trip, and yes a lot of similarities to my plans! Please do feed back about your recommendations etc.

Have an amazing time :)

Melbatb 13 May 19 05:08 AM

Have a great time! Looking forward to reading about it!

mouli1 13 May 19 07:53 AM

Looks like a fab trip .
Our cat us off to kitty prison when we go too !

i love jack 18 May 19 06:47 AM

Sounds like a great trip, looking forward to reading :)

parisdisneyfan 22 May 19 10:40 AM

Hope you are having a lovely time, we are off on Friday:erm: frantically trying to get all the holiday stuff and house stuff up to date before we go! Must catch up when we are both back.

Did you manage to see GoT?

Tigger71 22 May 19 03:41 PM

Sounds like a great trip - I've been to Cape Cod many, many years ago and remember it being a lovely area with several very un-american additions of roundabouts :-)

anji 27 May 19 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan (Post 13859183)
Hope you are having a lovely time, we are off on Friday:erm: frantically trying to get all the holiday stuff and house stuff up to date before we go! Must catch up when we are both back.

Did you manage to see GoT?

Hi saw you'd arrived safely 😀 yes we did see ĢoT finale on our tablet on NOWtv live and a repeat on big room tv on our hotel in Mystic too! Moving on to Boston tomorrow. See you soon. Safe travels x

anji 27 May 19 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigger71 (Post 13859703)
Sounds like a great trip - I've been to Cape Cod many, many years ago and remember it being a lovely area with several very un-american additions of roundabouts :-)

Yea there are quite a lot of roundabouts, or rotarys. In Hyannis there's a Rotary Crash Repair place right by one of them!

jengibbo 16 Jun 19 10:28 AM

Looking forward to this report. We are going to Boston, Ogunquit and Bar Harbour in July so will be reading with interest.