theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Trip Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   EHIC card - do I need one (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1178284)

salmon70 11 Aug 20 06:59 AM

EHIC card - do I need one

Morning folks

Can someone please confirm whether we will need an EHIC card if travelling to Europe? We’ve not been to Europe for around 10 years so am not sure. We have worldwide travel insurance. Also, would it be received in card format or can it be stored electronically on your phone? Also, how long do they usually take to receive.

Thank you

Edie ray 11 Aug 20 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmon70 (Post 14608944)
Morning folks

Can someone please confirm whether we will need an EHIC card if travelling to Europe? We’ve not been to Europe for around 10 years so am not sure. We have worldwide travel insurance. Also, would it be received in card format or can it be stored electronically on your phone? Also, how long do they usually take to receive.

Thank you

My son is off to Italy and his EHIC was out of date so just sent off for renewal and it took about 5 days, it’s a card

Am just covering all bases, he will also have travel insurance :wavey:

salmon70 11 Aug 20 07:52 AM

Thanks Edie ours ran out years ago and we’re due to go to DLP first thing on Monday morning. I’m going to call them when they open this morning see if we can get them quicker. Only booked this trip last minute too oh dear 😒

Rac20 11 Aug 20 08:04 AM

My husband applied for his before we went to Gran Canaria and it didn’t arrive in time. However, on its website it does give information as to what to do if you don’t have your card in time and you need medical assistance. I think you need to know your N.I number as one of the things.

Beth_Disney 11 Aug 20 08:38 AM

I think that you should have BOTH travel insurance and an EHIC for European travel - the reasoning being that the travel insurance policy will only want to pay for treatment that is not covered by the EHIC.

Here's the wording from my policy -
European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) (Residents of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland only) If you are travelling to countries in the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland we strongly advise that you take an EHIC with you...This will allow you to benefit from the reciprocal health arrangements which exist with these countries. You should take reasonable steps to use these arrangements where possible.

Elmhurst 5 11 Aug 20 09:45 AM

BETH - absolutely agree EHIC and good Travel Insurance for all European travel.

Blue nose 11 Aug 20 09:52 AM

Mine took just over a week to receive the card so probably best worth applying now so hopefully processed before you go. They're only valid until the end of the year.

meboo 11 Aug 20 11:16 AM

Just apply - don’t worry about receiving the card. I know from sorry experience that you can also apply retrospectively if something goes wrong ! If you needed treatment they would give you a number over the phone

mickeyspal 11 Aug 20 03:49 PM

Ordered mine last week and it came today

Moorlandman 11 Aug 20 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patjeff63 (Post 14609135)
BETH - absolutely agree EHIC and good Travel Insurance for all European travel.

Even more so next year after Brexit!