theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Accommodation (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Should I choose Portofino or Royal Pacific (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1129256)

11tallie 18 May 19 08:13 PM

Should I choose Portofino or Royal Pacific

Thank you

dippiedawnie 18 May 19 08:34 PM

We have stayed at both and love them both so generally just go with whatever the deal is we are prepared to pay. There are pros and cons but both are nice hotels. Easier to walk to parks from Royal Pacific then Portofino if you miss a boat or its busy- so that is useful. We never used any of the restaurants at RP but have eaten at PB and food has always been great. Sorry not an answer - we struggle to decide each trip too.

Gabsnoot 18 May 19 08:40 PM

We really loved staying at both.

Royal Pacific is a bit closer to parks if you are walking but the bed we had at Portofino Bay was like sleeping on a cloud:zzz:

We are staying again next year and for us it will come down to price as we are happy to stay at either.

Sunshinekid 18 May 19 08:49 PM

We spent last summer at Royal Pacific and it was lovely. Great size rooms, clean and lovely food.
I’ve not stayed at Portofino but i think we’d book that if we go back to Universal as the pool depth at Royal Pacific wasn’t great and our daughter loves swimming.

MFras23 18 May 19 10:57 PM

Portofino every time. Feels more immersive than royal Pacific and it has that touch extra luxury. We won’t stay anywhere else at universal now!

Unexpectedpenny 18 May 19 11:53 PM

We’ve stayed at both and I love them both! We walked back to Portofino when it was raining and I expected it to take ages from what I’d read before but it’s really not that much longer than walking to RPR. Even in the rain it’s a nice walk along the river.
The rooms are a bit bigger at PB. There’s only the 2 of us so that doesn’t matter for us but if you’re a bigger group you might like having a bit more room.
You won’t go wrong with either so I’d pick whichever theming/price you prefer!

Lou1982 19 May 19 12:27 AM

We’ve stayed at both and loved both for different reasons. For me I think it would depend on who was in your travel party. My children liked royal Pacific better and it definitely did feel like a shorter walk from the parks, especially islands of adventure. If it was just adults I’d go for portofino I think as it does feel a bit more luxurious. We loved th opera singers on the piazza at Portofino Bay

Maindrain 19 May 19 12:51 AM

Stayed at both as well, Portofino for me every time. I really enjoy the theming, the view over the bay is lovely, and the whole decor seems nicer to me.

Guest 19 May 19 04:11 AM

We have stayed at both. We had a regular bay view room at Portofino and a suite at RPR but although we had more room at RPR due to room type, I believe that comparing regular room to regular room, Portofino will provide a lot more space.

We liked the room and large bathroom at Portofino but we had a number of service issues and found the staff unpleasant. We walked back to the hotel from the parks a couple of times, but didn’t want to walk to the park and get all hot before even starting our day. On the other hand we walked to the parks, there and back, twice a day every day from RPR.

So there is no debate for us, based primarily on location, we would only consider RPR for future trips.

Ridersmom 19 May 19 06:01 AM

I've stayed at both and think PB is nicer-larger rooms, more luxurious and quieter. DD had a birthday the day we arrived so we were upgraded in terms of room size and location. Also she had treats sent to the room by reception.

Once we had a RPR room that overlooked the park-loved sitting in the room and looking out at the hulk. We had very good service, here, too.

If price were the same, PB for size.