theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   Discounting family members meals (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1184374)

mickey house 30 Nov 20 09:27 AM

Discounting family members meals

As some dibbers will know I charge family members who visit us for Christmas dinner to cover the basic overheads (I don't charge my wife and son). I am only having 3 extra visitors for Christmas dinner this year, and as a good will gesture (due to the rubbish year people have had) I am thinking of offering them a 25% discount.

I usually charge family adults £29.95 each which also includes a glass of wine each (not oyster bay - that is hidden until they go), but I'm thinking of just charging them £22.50 each this year (I have access to my elderly mother's bank account so I will withdraw her fee myself).

Would others do the same or am I being too generous?

munmun 30 Nov 20 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickey house (Post 14736760)
As some dibbers will know I charge family members who visit us for Christmas dinner to cover the basic overheads (I don't charge my wife and son). I am only having 3 extra visitors for Christmas dinner this year, and as a good will gesture (due to the rubbish year people have had) I am thinking of offering them a 25% discount.

I usually charge family adults £29.95 each which also includes a glass of wine each (not oyster bay - that is hidden until they go), but I'm thinking of just charging them £22.50 each this year (I have access to my elderly mother's bank account so I will withdraw her fee myself).

Would others do the same or am I being too generous?

Way to generous. I would go for a 10% increase due to Covid costs or are they bringing their own sanitiser.

mickey house 30 Nov 20 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munmun (Post 14736762)
Way to generous. I would go for a 10% increase due to Covid costs or are they bringing their own sanitiser.

I didn't think of sanitiser as that will increase costs more if I provide it, plus the extra use of my soap etc. Maybe you are right and 25% is too generous.

SussexFamily 30 Nov 20 10:06 AM

Concur far too generous, if anything , I would increase costs this year.

PoohBears#1fan 30 Nov 20 10:11 AM

I concur, most places are charging extra to cover PPE / extra cleaning costs etc. you're far too generous MH.

Guest 30 Nov 20 10:13 AM

I’d also consider charging your wife and son this year just to cover any unforeseen overheads.

Colette-S 30 Nov 20 10:13 AM

Why don’t you charge Mrs MH? Doesn’t she get enough? Half a kitchen, £10 Superdrug voucher and a pandora charm dangling in front of her eyes! You need to stop being so soft and charge her with the rest of them (even if she does buy, cook and serve it)

munmun 30 Nov 20 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colette-S (Post 14736790)
Why don’t you charge Mrs MH? Doesn’t she get enough? Half a kitchen, £10 Superdrug voucher and a pandora charm dangling in front of her eyes! You need to stop being so soft and charge her with the rest of them (even if she does buy, cook and serve it)

Maybe next year you can have Xmas on your yacht then you wont have to deal with any of them;)

SMAX 30 Nov 20 10:27 AM

I am sure that if you did your esteemed personalised drawings on the napkins you could actually double the charge. :)

Guest 30 Nov 20 10:27 AM

I am also in the camp of increasing the costs this year to cover higher overheads. Your wife and son are taking liberties but you need to accept some responsibility for that as you allow people to walk all over you.