theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Weddings and Honeymoons (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Court house wedding (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1147273)

Deano31 26 Sep 19 04:44 PM

Court house wedding

Has anyone done a court house wedding ?

Just wondering what the process is?

tim17 26 Sep 19 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deano31 (Post 14095737)
Has anyone done a court house wedding ?

Just wondering what the process is?

We got married in the Kissimmee courthouse in 2002, dead easy and I organised everything from the UK. Give them a call and explain what you want to do, basically they'll just give you a date and sort out a registrar type person and let you know what documents are needed, the actual ceremony only takes a few minutes.

scooby99 27 Sep 19 04:39 AM

We got married in 2010 at Clearwater courthouse.

Went something like this:
We notified no-one or made anyone in the US aware of our plans as their website made no mention of us needing to do that.
Completed marriage application forms before leaving UK; printed them off from website; however, we could have picked them up & filled them in on the day.
Turned up at the courthouse when it opened without making an appointment 2 days after we got to Florida; there is no need for minimum length of residency (unlike some other states), there is no need to have witnesses (unlike some other states) & there is no need for UK residents to give any notice of intention to marry (Florida residents had to wait x weeks).
We advised we’d like to apply to get married; Jean did the paperwork for us; we had to prove ID with passports & swear an oath that we knew no reason why the marriage could not take place.
Jean gave us our licence & asked if we knew when we wanted to marry; we said “now!”, she said no problem, I’ll be marrying you, follow me; we went into the ‘wedding room’ & were married within 5 minutes.
Within 5 minutes after that, we had 10 marriage certificates; no issues at all when I used them to change my name when back in the UK; accepted as they were, no need to register them in the UK.

It cost around $150; oh, we got married in shorts & t-shirts!

So, really really easy!

Deano31 28 Sep 19 06:25 AM

That's good to know. Were at Gatwick now and hoping to get married on monday

Rac20 29 Sep 19 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deano31 (Post 14098307)
That's good to know. Were at Gatwick now and hoping to get married on monday

Congratulations!

We didn't get married at the courthouse but we did have to go there to get a license. We had to read a little booklet before hand and then take an oath and then they asked us if we wanted to get married there and then but we had our wedding at Cypress grove - its beautiful!

As someone else mentioned, we've never had a problem with anyone accepting our marriage certificates.

After our ceremony, we all went for a slap up meal at the Olive Garden :pgig:

Best day ever!

Hope you have a great day on Monday.:)

duchy 29 Sep 19 03:54 PM

If you want something a little more than the courthouse Theresa at the chapel in Eustis will do quick/same day weddings ... including photos for $300 (plus licence of about $90)

Deano31 2 Oct 19 04:23 AM

Went down on Monday first thing . And it was closed, epic fail. Went down today and got married. Very easy process

Sandra & co 2 Oct 19 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deano31 (Post 14105914)
Went down on Monday first thing . And it was closed, epic fail. Went down today and got married. Very easy process

Congratulations to you both xxx

suecee 7 Oct 19 10:33 PM

Congratulations!

Tretinker 9 Oct 19 11:22 PM

Congratulations!