theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Uni student- easy fave recipes needed (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=976187)

Infinity Red 14 Aug 16 12:15 PM

Uni student- easy fave recipes needed

I consider myself to be a good mum, but I'm not a good cook, as a result my dd who is hopefully going Uni next month can't cook either :blush:
My meals are legendary but not in a good way ! Think Wendy Craig in Butterflies !
I'm panicking now that my dd is going to starve and waste away:omg:
So any kind dibbers who have children at Uni what are their fave recipes, thinking lasagne for example, but need it made simply with short cuts but still tasty, I know Dd won't spend valuable time peeling and chopping !
So basically I'm asking for tasty short cut ideas n recipes that are student friendly :thumbs-up
Thanks for any tips.

Leggibone 14 Aug 16 12:30 PM

My sister makes a great 'red pasta' just cook up some pasta, and heat up/cook some chicken (thing small chunks of chicken) then once it's all cooked and hot stir through a teaspoon of red pesto and a large spoon of creme fraiche and its ready to eat :)
stir fry made with the little packs of veg you can get, use the Amoy straight to wok noodles and that's easy.
Curry using sauce from a jar (makes enough for 3/4 so a good meal to cook with her flat mates)
Spag Bol again use a jar of dolmio (add some extra seasoning to taste and you have a mighty good spag Bol that freezes well too)
shepards/cottage pie you can use a colmans packet to make.
I sometimes use a packet of supernoodles and add in a little frozen veg, and the chicken nuggets (not particularly healthy but easy non the less)

skalexander 14 Aug 16 12:36 PM

Why don't you buy her a Mary Berry book, and spend some time trying out recipes before she goes? Sounds like it might benefit you as much as your daughter ;) If she learns to live off packets, jars and ready meals now, she will probably never learn to actually cook - most of my friends never did.

missy E 14 Aug 16 12:45 PM

Quick pasta & sauce
  • 2-3 handfuls of Fusilli
  • Boil to required consistency
  • Drain water
  • Add Dolmio stir in sauce
  • Put pan back on low heat & stir for a couple of minutes until food is hot
  • Add anything to the mix if required, cooked chicken, tuna, peas etc. or just have plain.
  • Alternatively after doing the above pop in an oven proof dish & sprinkle with cheese & cook for about 10 - 15 mins or until cheese is melted

A quick and very cheap meal.
One stir in sauce says its for 2 people but we found it was better using one each.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=dolmio+stir+in&newSort=true &search=Search

WileyCoyote 14 Aug 16 12:59 PM

We are the same with DS, teaching him to cook and shop !

He loves pies so this is works for him

Pack of ready cooked chicken ( either a single breast or chopped chunks)
Can of Campbell's condensed chicken soup
Half a pot of single cream or elmea.

Mix the above all together, put in Pyrex dish and cover with a sheet of ready rolled puff pastry.

Brush with beaten egg or milk, 20 minutes or so at 200 or 220 until Golden and nom nom, delicious chicken pie .

Serve with microwavable frozen mash (single packs fab for students).

Good luck to your DD x

KellyWellyWoo 14 Aug 16 01:02 PM

I would get her a slow cooker- there are a multitude of recipes and she can whack it in and leave it.

jellie 14 Aug 16 01:03 PM

I've just bought DD a book from Amazon called "nosh", very easy student recipes and tells them about storing food, cost of ingredients and even gives the measurements in "mug" quantities.

Bear-family 14 Aug 16 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinity Red (Post 11900493)
I consider myself to be a good mum, but I'm not a good cook, as a result my dd who is hopefully going Uni next month can't cook either :blush:
My meals are legendary but not in a good way ! Think Wendy Craig in Butterflies !
I'm panicking now that my dd is going to starve and waste away:omg:
So any kind dibbers who have children at Uni what are their fave recipes, thinking lasagne for example, but need it made simply with short cuts but still tasty, I know Dd won't spend valuable time peeling and chopping !
So basically I'm asking for tasty short cut ideas n recipes that are student friendly :thumbs-up
Thanks for any tips.

When I was at uni many moons ago, my favourite and cheapest dish was chicken and tomatoe pasta. One chicken breast cut up and pan fried, a small tin of sweet corn and chopped tomatoes and cooked pasta. Mic it all together and heat through. I used to put half in a tub and eat it cold for lunch the next day.

CazP 14 Aug 16 01:19 PM

Did is about to start year 2
She cooks fajitas a lot, one pan for chicken, peppers and onions and chuck in tortillas. Enchiladas are quite easy too
She also cooked things like salmon and gammon . She'd only ever done toast and stuff at home so she's surprised me!

soooexcited! 14 Aug 16 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellyWellyWoo (Post 11900622)
I would get her a slow cooker- there are a multitude of recipes and she can whack it in and leave it.

Just what I would say. Pulled pork pop in a pork fillet and bbq sauce leave on low then shred with jacket pots or rolls. I do stew lasagne gammon in coke shepards pie in mine. You can do a breakfast in th but not tried or puddings.get a cheap slow cooker cook book. The beauty of them really cheap cuts of meat taste great as they are cooked long and slow.