theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   Anyone do Hong Kong/Shanghai/Tokyo in one trip? (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1117677)

amy56 24 Feb 19 10:16 AM

Anyone do Hong Kong/Shanghai/Tokyo in one trip?

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone had done all three places in one trip, and if so, how did you book the flights?

If I put the whole route into kayak we are talking silly money, so just wondering if it is truthfully very expensive to do, or if there is a cheap way? A round the world ticket perhaps?

It might be that I’m pricing this summer too late in the day (I’m hoping to go next year - or the year after if the Tokyo olympics price me out of next year - and just looking for price ideas right now based on this year).

I’d ideally like to do one trip as whilst I know we’d happily go to Japan as a stand alone holiday, I’m really not feeling Shanghai, so would only really want a short stopover there, but don’t want to miss it altogether as my number one bucket list is to go to all of the Disney parks, and I just don’t see me going there unless it’s as part of this trip.

Beth_Disney 24 Feb 19 10:44 AM

I haven’t don’t this trip yet but it’s one that I’m considering for this summer. I’ve just ordered guide books from Amazon so I can gauge how long to spend at each stop (I’ve been to HK before so probably 4 or 5 nights there) and I’ll book 3 weeks off work.

The prices I’ve seen are about £1000 each for the flights which I thought was about right. I did my search through Opodo - all direct flights, LHR > Shanghai, Shanghai > Tokyo, Tokyo > Hong Kong and Hong Kong > London.

Happy planning :)

amy56 24 Feb 19 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney (Post 13705379)
I haven’t don’t this trip yet but it’s one that I’m considering for this summer. I’ve just ordered guide books from Amazon so I can gauge how long to spend at each stop (I’ve been to HK before so probably 4 or 5 nights there) and I’ll book 3 weeks off work.

The prices I’ve seen are about £1000 each for the flights which I thought was about right. I did my search through Opodo - all direct flights, LHR > Shanghai, Shanghai > Tokyo, Tokyo > Hong Kong and Hong Kong > London.

Happy planning :)

Thank you ever so much for replying - can I ask what dates you are looking at?

Did you particularly choose that route or was it the cheapest way to do it? (The only reason I ask, is that I’m fully expecting Japan to be our highlight and so had planned to finish there, but wondering now if that’s a more expensive way of doing things)?

ETA - are you planning to fly direct? I’m just wondering if the prices for me are sky rocketing because I would prefer to fly direct? I just went on Opodo and the prices doubled if I switched to direct flights (but the cheaper flights involved a 26h journey time home rather than 12h!)

Beth_Disney 24 Feb 19 11:35 AM

Flying on 3rd August. I’ve priced it up using several different dates for the other flights but it’s always been a similar price.

There’s no particular reason I planned it in that order, I think it’s probably because Japan is the furthest away on a map (although flight paths mean the flights home are a similar length). I really enjoyed going to Hong Kong and am a bit nervous of Japan and China. Hong Kong was still very ‘English’ so I didn’t worry about signs on public transport or menus in restaurants!

Beth_Disney 24 Feb 19 11:41 AM

Direct would be preferable but I’d price up indirect to compare.

These are the details to what I’m looking at...

amy56 24 Feb 19 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney (Post 13705483)
Flying on 3rd August. I’ve priced it up using several different dates for the other flights but it’s always been a similar price.

There’s no particular reason I planned it in that order, I think it’s probably because Japan is the furthest away on a map (although flight paths mean the flights home are a similar length). I really enjoyed going to Hong Kong and am a bit nervous of Japan and China. Hong Kong was still very ‘English’ so I didn’t worry about signs on public transport or menus in restaurants!

Thank you for that, that’s really helpful. That’s given me some hope as I would prefer to go direct and those prices are fine for that - I would struggle to justify that price if I was having to change planes and doubling the travel time.

That’s good to know about Hong Kong - I think your plan sounds good and I think I’d like the more relaxed, language advantages of finishing in Hong Kong too 👍