theDIBB

theDIBB (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Grand Canyon tour from Maccarron airport (https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1132358)

Twiga6 9 Jun 19 08:11 PM

Grand Canyon tour from Maccarron airport

We've been having a look at going to the Grand Canyon from Los Angeles, we've both decided we couldn't stomach a 14 hour round trip drive, so we've looked into flying, which isn't a silly amount and only takes an hour and a half.
Can anyone recommend a bus tour that goes to the Canyon from the airport please?
Or will we have to go into Vegas and go out from there?
Thanks in advance

ClaireNJ 9 Jun 19 09:00 PM

We did Helicopter tour from Vegas airport with Maverick to Grand Canyon & Skywalk, they were very professional, our kids did it the year before with same company,would definitely recommend & the tour doesn't take too long, so you don’t waste valuable time in Vegas;)

400ixl 10 Jun 19 09:25 AM

Helicopters can only reach the smaller West Rim. If you want to go the the much larger South Rim (which I assume the OP is looking at) then you have to either go by road or plane.

Some will fly you out there and then just transport you into the park where you then just use the free HOHO buses which go around that everyone else uses, others provide their own coach tour. The former gives you more choice of where you spend your time, the other probably covers more locations, but less time at each.

Maverick, Papillion, GC Tours, Scenic etc all do various tours.

There are 3 different airports they may use, McCarran, Henderson or Boulder City.

Most of these give you around 4 hours on the ground (so realistically 3 hours to explore) which is the absolute bare minimum you would want.

Sew109 10 Jun 19 09:39 PM

As 400 has said check it’s the South Rim you are going to the West Rim is not the Grand Canyon you see on the movies it’s part of an Indian Reservation and not half as dramatic as the South or North Rims

Twiga6 11 Jun 19 10:28 AM

Thanks for all replies, we've had a closer look into distances and costs etc, we were going to be flying from LA for the day, which wasn't too much of a silly price, but then I looked at the distance from Maccaran to the GC and its still a huge distance on a bus (Which was what I was looking for!) and helicopter prices put it out of our reach for now.
We've decided that part of the States needs its own separate trip, although neither of us fancy Vegas ;)

400ixl 11 Jun 19 01:02 PM

Ah, the flight was from LA to Vegas and then bus from there to South Rim and back in a day.

I wouldn't recommend that at all. You could maybe fly to Flagstaff and then get a tour from there. But would still be expensive.

Lots to do without having to stay in Vegas. You could do an LA, San Diego, Palm Springs, Phoenix, Flagstaff, GC, Kingman, Death Valley loop.