View Single Post
Old 14 May 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
GandL
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile LJ turns 30 - West Coast Pre Trippy - Updated Aug 19

Hi All,

After an original Florida pre-trippy in 2015 and another pre-trippy for our Florida honeymoon in 2018 this time I have decided I am going to be better at this and try and do the whole shebang… is that how you spell it? It is now.

So it has been an absolute whirlwhind of life since our wedding day and we recently celebrated our first year anniversary. We made it! And if the rest of our years together are anything like the first then I can happily say I made a fantastic choice in picking Luke as a husband.

Sidenote, we spent a night at a place called 5 The Lawn in Hastings, see below pics… It was INSANE! A bit expensive but hey if you can’t splash out on your anniversary when can you? Highly recommended.

Back on track now to the actual plans for this year’s BIG holiday. (There are also a number of smaller holidays occurring because this is the first year in many that we do not have to save for a house or wedding anymore… and holidays are LIFE).

So in October, Luke is turning the big 3 0 and for aslong as I have known him his dream has always been to go to San Francisco and Los Angeles. It’s never really been somewhere I had been that bothered about (ignorant AF) but since doing 6 months of daily research, dibb browsing and reading every travel blog under the sun, I think I am more excited than he is. Planning a holiday is pretty much what I was born to do, how I work in the insurance industry and not travel is pretty much ridiculous, but we are where we are now. So, my planning hat has been well and truly on and a West Coast road trip was the only option .

When?

So Luke turns 30 on 7th October, but does quite like being at home for it so we have gone with 19th September to 6th October.

We found a BA flydrive into San Francisco and out of Los Angeles to London, however picking up the car as we leave SF due to some fab advice about not needing the car, nor wanting to pay extortionate car parking fees. We’ve gone for a Group F (Ford Escape or similar) car, and by we I mean Luke has. I have no idea about anything car wise and am absolutely pooing my pants about sharing the driving whilst we are out there. Obvs going to do it and will probably love once doing it but the thought of a BIG AUTOMATIC is scary stuff considering I drive a manual Ford KA at home.

What route?

Thurs 19th Sep – LHR to SFO

Spend three nights in San Francisco at The Metro Hotel
I looked for such a long time for a hotel that wasn’t over £1k for 3 nights and a colleague mentioned this which is absolutely perfect, a little bit further out near Haight Ashbury but an absolute bargain in comparison to anything else and also number 7 out of 239 hotels in San Francisco on tripadvisor!

Pick up car on 22nd September and drive to Yosemite – staying at Yosemite Valley Lodge for two nights. Could not be more excited about this, we are hiking Mount Snowdon and Scafell Pike this year in preparation. Doing long walks, and especially up hills never used to be a bit of me whatsoever but its a clear sign I’m getting old and the views are just INSANE!

Drive to Monterey – stop at Santa Cruz for a mooch en route and stay at the Centrella Inn for one night

Drive down the Pacific coast highway – millions of stops for photos and eventually arrive at the Madonna Inn where we are staying for one night in the Daisy Mae room.
Currently Luke is point blank refusing to eat in the amazing pink dining room but I reckon if I keep going on about it and being a nagging nancy I will get my own way.

Drive to Santa Barbara and stay at the Franciscian Inn for two nights.
Hoping for a relaxing one here, bit of beach time and lay ins.

Drive to Los Angeles and stay at Gateway Santa Monica for 3 nights.
We had originally booked Hotel Celebrity but had read so many comments about it being dodge r us around the walk of fame area that I was completely put off. Ended up getting a decent price in Santa Monica so feeling a million times happier.

Drive to San Diego and stay at the Bahia Resort Hotel for two nights.

Drive back up the coast, stay in Huntington Beach for one night at Ocean Surf Inn and Suites before flying home from Los Angeles on 5th October ☹

I’m aware we have a few 1 night stays which people usually advise against but with only 15 nights to want to see all of these amazing places, I think we can just about do it. Will definitely have a few slower days and I think we both realise that this definitely isn’t going to be a relaxing holiday.
We originally wanted to go to Las Vegas aswell but unfortunately annual leave constraints and money meant that something needed to be dropped. We have been to Vegas before so decided it would have to be that.

So that is the skeleton plan for the big trip which is now coming around pretty quickly considering that we booked in September 18.

Full itinerary to come…..

GJJ x

Edited at 11:17 AM. Reason: update
GandL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List