View Single Post
Old 5 Dec 17, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

It was almost 2 by now and I wanted to get a street car back to the hotel .

I thought we could do this from Robert E Lee Circle

Robert himself had gone walkabout in March …. But the column, plinth and street name still remain …….. I later read the official statement on the statue’s removal on the NOLA official city website. It’s an interesting read.

We tried to board a street car but it was going the wrong way and we just couldn’t be doing with walking to the right stop so Andy hailed a taxi back to bourbon street .

At just $10, we did wonder why he hadn’t done this earlier.

Time for some refreshment so we made a stop at Pat o Briens

I had an $8 mint julep which was so refreshing.

And the infamous $14 Hurricane , no longer served in souvenir glasses !

Eesh that hurricane was potent I was definitely feeling a bit woozy

At some point I must have walked back to the hotel – probably to pick up our ponchos as rain was forecast.

I know this as the remains of the Hurricane were in the fridge the next morning … but I cant recall how it got there .

We had a nice couple of hours here just chilling out , eating the complementary popcorn and enjoying the aircon !

About 4.30 we decided on an early dinner and took a walk to the Gumbo Shop

Menu

We both went for the set menu
We had the cup of chicken gumbo to start

I had the chicken espagnole

Andy had the creole combination platter

We shared corn and mash sides, it was a lot of food!

I had the praline sundae , Andy had the bread pudding

The bill - so reasonable !

Not a fancy place, simple, flavoursome food, good service and felt a genuine creole experience.

There was a torrential downpour while we were there and it was funny as people were sheltering and we had a window seat so they were looking at our food and Andy was showing them the menu.

He should have got some commission

When I say torrential , I mean it bucketed down !

Looks beautiful afterwards

We were done around 6 and after a slightly tipsy walk back , we thought a quick old persons nap would be a good idea.

Of course it was a really bad idea as the quick nap turned into a couple of hours.

We woke up around 8 and initially were all for getting up and going out.
Although I was feeling a bit delicate and we were both still full so we reckoned the hotel bar was probably our limit.

After an hour of procrastinating , it was clear neither of us really felt like more drinking so we just watched trash tv and enjoyed doing absolutely nothing .

It’s the ultimate holiday laziness – totally indulgent !

The next day Food, Cocktails,Shops and Spooky stuff is here

Edited at 08:00 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List