View Single Post
Old 14 Aug 20, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Switzerland Summer 2020 - Day 12 - Aosta Italy

We woke up to clouds. Though one of us had women very early to sit his final exam for his summer course - poor O was awake at 3.45am for a 4am exam of 3 hours. He said it went ok and was happy to have had the apple strudels to munch on.

We discussed if we would go to Lausanne or Aosta today. Italy won as we thought it would be more June friendly!

We had breakfast and were out of the chalet by about 9.30am.

As we drove down the mountain the weather got worse! And the temperature kept dropping!

We decided to go over the St. Bernard pass rather than through the tunnel. The rain did at least stop but the temperature was still hovering around 6C.

After about an hour we passed into Italy. As the name of the town suggests it is famous for the dog!

It was bitterly cold but at least it wasn't raining. We had a pit stop - just to have a quick look around.

June was a bit non-plussed- it was her third foreign country since Christmas

There were no controls entering into Italy but we noticed that mask wearing (which we have hardly seen in Switzerland) was more noticeable even just over the border. We ended up wearing ours all day except when we were eating. It seemed the right thing to do even though it was only compulsory inside shops.

We arrived at Aosta st around 11am. The town is know for its Roman ruins.

We thankfully found a place to park right in the center of the town - more luck then judgment!

Thankfully there was some blue skies and it felt quite warm.

We just decided to have a wander around and to see where the day took us.

It was quite busy as the streets were narrow. We popped into various shops - the kids each got a top from Levi's and F also got some of the shoulder tops from a local shop. One thing was noticeable and that was the process - it was a lot cheaper than Switzerland!

We stopped for a coffee and a croissant - two of each set us back only 6 euros. The coffee was lovely!

We wandered some more and I got a new lightweight cap! June got a lot of attention - especially from the local police.

We went to a random restaurant for lunch - the pizzas and J ordered from the menu of the day - tomato and mozzarella salad followed by a cheese omelette.

Two of the pizzas. The service was very slow and J goofy frustrated when his salad cane only when our pizzas did. He cancelled his main course. It came to 39 euros - so half the price of over the border.

We were full so decided we would walk some more before heading for ice cream.

We walked past summer of the ruins but decided not to go in to visit them!

We tried to get down to the river so June could cool off but couldn't find out way down.

June decided to help out when J was looking at the map!

About 3pm we found the number one rated ice cream shop. I had mascarpone, funny and cinnamon flavours. They were all delicious. Indeed everyone loved them! And at 15 euros for them all we felt they were great value (especially as O and J had four scoops)

I drive back - this time via the tunnel. However has we realised that it was going to cost 30 euros for the 6km trip I think we would have gone via the pass.

When we got home, J and F took June on a fairly long walk. We all just picked at food as we were still full after the ice creams. Then the usual games came out.

We though Aosta was a lovely vibrant town! It was a successful day!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List