View Single Post
Old 6 Aug 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Belle88
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Pre travel day - Thyme Bar and Grill Gatwick North

So it’s finally D day - the day before Disney. We are staying at the Premier Inn ahead of our flight tomorrow - not because it’s early but because I’m a massive stresshead 🙈 The excitement has reached fever pitch; I wish I could bottle this feeling of knowing we’re going to our happy place tomorrow!

We ate dinner in the restaurant in the hotel. I prebooked the meal deal for £26 per person including a 2 course meal with a drink and breakfast. The kids meal deal was £7.50 for 3 courses and a drink and they get breakfast for free so that’s not too bad. I thought I’d review this meal to get into the swing of taking photos of my food 😂 also I know lots of us stay here pre flight. Just a tip I picked up from here: Email to book a table for the time you want prior to arriving as the queue was pretty long when we got here.

Atmosphere - the restaurant is nice and airy. We could see the shuttle coming from the south terminal which was exiting for the kids. No colouring or anything was provided which was a bit of a shame but overall it’s a nice place to eat in.

Service - this was excellent. Our waitress did try to up charge a little but she was excellent at reading cues. The service was really quick throughout the first part of the meal. Couldn’t fault this at all.

Food - We all ordered starters:

Chicken meatballs from the kids menu - I think this proves you do eat with your eyes. These looked very unappealing and therefore I couldn’t convince either of my kids to try them. After a gentle nudge, my husband tried one and said they were ok, a bit dry and not overly tasty.

Cheesy garlic bread - does what it says on the tin. Was a hit with both the kids so it’s a 👍🏼

Tomato bruschetta - the pinnacle of bruschetta is pizza express original, and compared to that, this was a bit of a let down. It just felt quite dry. The tomatoes and onions tasted fresh but it was nothing overly special.

Riblets - husband was underwhelmed. He said that the meat slid off the bone so easily it felt like that had been over boiled. He finished them so can’t have been that bad!

Mains:

Steak and chips from the children’s menu - my son was made up that this was an option. He had his steak cooked medium and he said it was a 10/10 except they served it with peppers (how dare they put vegetables on his plate 😂&#128514

Penne in tomato sauce from the children’s menu - basic but a real bit. My 3 year old ate every bite!

Greek salad - I decided to go for the healthy option ahead of two weeks of indulgence. This was a perfectly fine salad but I did wish I’d chosen something slightly more filling once I’d finished it!

Surf and turf - this was a £2 supplement. Husband enjoyed the meat (which he had cooked rare) and the prawns. Did not like the chips - too soggy. Nothing worse than a soggy chip 👎

Overall this meal was a 3/5. Service was exceptional but the food was hit and miss. With so few options around here, it is definitely the best option for a stress free pre flight evening. Now to try and sleep. Tomorrow we go to Disney 😀😀😀😃
Belle88 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List