View Single Post
Old 8 Jul 19, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
GandL
Having Dinner with Goofy

Update July 2019

Hi all,

So since the previous update, I am bang on it now with more research and getting bits booked.

Alcatraz and Dylans tour now booked for San Francisco aswell as House of Prime Rib for our fancier dinner night. I have also decided that we will definitely be visiting either Mr Holmes Bakehouse or Bobs donuts at some point whilst we are there (see below pics for reason as to why)

Now moving onto a few more days that now have a bit more structure to them…

Day Three – San Francisco to Yosemite

We will get up at a decent time to go and get a nice breakfast near hotel before picking up our car from Avis Union Sq at 10am.

Then it’s time for the first big journey to Yosemite! As prev mentioned I am a bit concerned about driving but I think that’s just nerves and will be fine once we start. I’ll let Luke begin getting us out of San Francisco and then hopefully once we’re on some big straight roads I will feel confident enough to take over. I am SO excited about this part of the trip, the views look UNREAL and I cannot wait to see it all.

I booked our accommodation at Yosemite Valley Lodge, forever ago as I know it gets booked up really quickly and for pure convenience wanted to be in the park. Its clearly expensive for what it is but it seemed worth it for our purposes.

We will drive via Merced as I have seen many comments that there is a good place to stop and get some supermarket bits ready for our stay. Google maps at the moment is advising just over 4 hours so with a stop or two hopefully we will be there around 3-4pm.

We will have a casual evening this night and try to get our bearings but don’t want to plan too much as will likely be exhausted from the long drive. Will play this one by ear and get something easy from the food court for dins.

Day Four – Yosemite

Now this is the day that I am absolutely buzzing for. Due to not having lots and lots of time in the park, I was really trying to work out how we could see a lot, still feel like we did a good hike and not be entirely dying by the end of the day. Therefore I have booked a one way Glacier Point tour which starts at 8.30am. This will take us up to Glacier Point for #VIEWS and then we will hike back to the valley floor via the Panoramic trail
Its going to be a tough one but I think by doing it downhill and all of the amazing scenery around us, it will be absolutely worth it! Plan on taking a fair bit of food and will put together a little picnic together of the food we buy at the supermarket on the way.

After our Snowdon hike, and Scaffel Pike (which is next week… GULP) we should feel confident enough to do this hike and have accumulated some walking boots, hiking trousers that zip off into shorts (Luke) proper water bottles and backpacks. You could say… all the gear NO IDEA haha.

Luke is literally begging to see a bear, I don’t think he realises just how scary they are and is picturing maybe Paddington in his head… men eh .

Evening will consist of recovering, lots of food and generally soaking up the day and what we have managed to achieve. Note to self, buy a bottle of wine at the supermarket to celebrate that evening in the lodge.

Day Five – Yosemite to Monterey

Even by writing this trip report, I am already sad at the thought of leaving Yosemite. I think we could have easily stayed here much longer but with only 15 nights to explore everything this will have to do… for now.
We will drive to Tunnel view on the way out and plan on leaving at a decent time to get on the road. I’m aware many people are thinking I mean around 6/7am but this is me we are talking about and I think 8 will be sufficient. I am the world’s biggest grump in the mornings, especially when tired but hoping that all the exercise on previous day will knock me out to sleep early so I’m ready and chirpy for this day (v unlikely).

We are going to drive to Santa Cruz before heading to Monterey and will visit the funfair etc. I think a lot of the trip reports I have read have said it is quite tacky here and to miss it but Luke and I definitely want to visit as its iconic to us. Plus, whats wrong with a bit of tack? I doubt we will stay here for long, but definitely long enough for a few pictures, some lunch and maybe an ice cream. Have heard a lot of good things about Pizza My Heart, so potentially check this out.

From here, will drive to Monterey, another place that I am buzzing for. Just yesterday I started Big Little Lies season 2 and Luke has recently watched the latest golf at Pebble beach and its somewhere we both want to visit. Only the one night stop over here but will hopefully arrive by around 3/4pm so we can go for a wander around and just soak up being in this beaut town.

Have had a look at Schooners for dinner but still on the research at the moment for other options, unsure why but not 100% sold. Also would like to visit lovers point to watch the sunset if timings work out because how cute/cringe is that!
I absolutely love a sunset, and watching it over the ocean is serious goals .

Day Six – Highway 1, Big Sur Etc

So our Monterey accommodation looks absolutely adorable and apparently they do a really lovely breakfast in the morning so that will be a perfect start to the day. They also have complimentary cheese and wine early evening so hopefully we might be able to indulge a little in that the previous day!

So today is the big long drive down the coast but also meant to be one of the best drives in the world so absolutely buzzing!

We are going to start the day with the 17 mile drive entering at Pacific Grove gate and exiting at Carmel gate. Really looking forward to seeing the lone cypress, it just looks too cute. Luke is really excited to see Pebble Beach golf course as he is a big golf fan. I’ve had to tell him sorry but no playing due to time and $$$$$$.

From here we will continue our drive down Highway 1 to all of the amazing stops and look out points en route. Absolute must do’s are:

- Point Lobos State Natural Reserve and China Cove
- Bixby Bridge
- Pfeiffer Beach
- Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park for McWay Falls
- Elephant Seal Viewing point San Simeon

I feel like Bixby bridge and McWay falls don’t seem real, like are so one of those things you see on tv only. Seeing them in real life is going to be a dream come true for me

I’m sure this drive is going to take us a fair amount of time but I don’t want to put time scale on it, just take the day as it comes and really try to enjoy it.

We are finishing up at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo where we have the Daisy Mae room for the night (TOO CUTE) this trip is mainly for Luke as it is his 30th but this hotel is all for meeeee! Literally couldn’t think of a more cute instagrammy place! Still haven’t convinced Luke about the pink restaurant and currently he is point blank refusing. I’ll just book it anyway?

Will then have a couple of drinks in the evening and soak up the amazing day we have had!

TBC...
GandL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List